Mule Team 31 CPM S45VN Feedback

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
rooster81

Mule Team 31 CPM S45VN Feedback

Post by rooster81 »

Is there currently no feedback thread for MT 31 in sv45n?
Michael Janich

Re: Mule Team 31 CPM S45VN Feedback

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear rooster81:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Hello rooster81:

Welcome and thanks for the motivation. I have been feathering the heck out of sticks recently and figured I would get my S45VN Mule into the mix.

I live at the end of a long highway and the truckers do not back haul pallets. We have pallets-o-plenty, mostly oak or other hardwoods. So, one of the many things I do is cut them up, shave/feather sticks down, then mix the wood chips with another fiber soaked in paraffin wax to make small fire starter candles. They are not good in the wind, but they are waterproof, and burn hot for 15 minutes on their own. OK... cut the back story....

IMG_20220324_143145322s45vn.jpg
I have sharpened this knife freehand several times, diamond stone, stropped on leather green paste, and it eats oak until my hand gets sore. I made the handle so it is obviously not an ergonomic problem. I can fill a 500ml cottage cheese tub in 30min ish and the edge still has lots to give.
IMG_20220324_143528138 (1)etch2.jpg
I processed a full tub in the same time with my Magnacut Mule. My hand was equally as sore. The edge may have been sharper at the end. I have only sharpened this blade twice, same diamond, same strop, same exacting anecdotes. Objectively, I sure did notice how light the Magnacut laser etching is compared to the S45VN.
IMG_20220324_143840789twobucket.jpg
At the end of two tubs it was clear that they are both great steels and they both outperform my hand or my need for wood shavings. Objectively, I have read enough that I would buy Magnacut over S45VN but subjectively with 1/2hr blade in hand I can not tell the difference.
IMG_20220324_144424241twocandle.jpg

The candles are fun, the mix is poured into an egg carton. I can set one in the fire pit at the end of a snow play day with the kids and it feels like a fire, but it's only 15 minutes and no worries. As an emergency fire starter, well I have never had to try.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Excellent write-up! My MagnaCut and S45VN mules are my dedicated hunting mules due to their fine balance of steel properties. Unfortunately, some sticks and a duck are all I've had the occasion to carve up since I got them lol. Hopefully more opportunities for elk and deer in the next few years. It usually takes me both of my older hunting knives (O1 and D2) to get an elk all the way quartered and bagged, but I bet a blade in something like S45VN or MC might be enough with judicious avoidance of bones and fur.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Thanks Gtscotty,

I'm with you, couple of Mules in the stable that are really anxious to kick a moose off its hoofs. Using knives purposely is the second best way to slow my collecting of knives. Number one, budget and not reaching beyond my means. Good luck to you when your seasons come around again.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
rooster81

Post by rooster81 »

**Executive Summary**: Very good steel, balanced and absolutely nothing wrong with it. However, generally speaking, I'd pick S35VN or S30V over S45VN.

**Detail Review**: I used this knife for general purposes, which include food prep, minor wood working, and breaking down boxes/packaging. Overall it's very similar to the other "S family" steals, and honestly hard to tell the difference for general chores. There are no signs of rust or patina after spending about a week in the kitchen (slicing fruits, veggies, meat, and being left wet to air dry).

I ended up accidentally dropping it tip down onto a concrete floor from and three feet. It took a small chunk out of the concrete. I've added a picture of the minor tip damage.
IMG_20220602_140009.jpg
It was time to sharpen anyway, so after the drop I sharpened using the cheapo DMT guided system using the DMT coarse, fine, and extra fine diamond sharpeners followed by stropping up to 100k grit diamond paste. It was relatively easy to sharpen up, but was slightly more difficult than either S30V or S35VN, both in terms time it took and the final burr (but again, not bad at all.) Here's a shot of the sharpened blade.
IMG_20220602_140017.jpg
It did take a nice edge, without a ton of effort:
IMG_20220602_140023.jpg
Conclusion: A fine choice for a general purpose, stainless steel. I think if you're looking in the "S" family of stainless steels and want something with a little more edge retention then S30V, but tougher than something like S90, this would be a good choice.

Thanks Sal and Spyderco for the Mule Project!