Check my math for mule demand.

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
weeping minora

Re: Check my math for mule demand.

Post by weeping minora »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:37 pm
If I remember correctly, the mule team project was all but mothballed not all that long ago due to inadequate interest.

It’s ironic that the prospect of scarcity breeds the additional interest that guarantees it.

And I feel that this demand in availability "exclusivity" may perhaps lead to that same fate. I know the aspect of an impending "drop" (release time and date) of limited production knives brings and keeps interest amongst a lot of people in the community; which would only have a positive effect on drawing interested parties in to see what else Spyderco has to offer. If an easy one-and-done secures you a limited run, what else do I need to hang around and look in-to until the next release a few months, or years from now? I feel that in losing that aspect of "the hunt", it will inevitably lead to losing interest, rendering the increase in production numbers to once again stagnate the shelves as deadstock. Obviously, those who have all the mules are no strangers to this hunt and have been successful in the "old ways". It seems even easier now to secure a model with the production increase and limited nature of purchase. There will undoubtedly be installments of updates furthering this availability for all as each release phases out. If it ain't broken, don't fix it, just look for improvements. It's all in baby steps. The time investment seems well spent elsewhere; perhaps on better software to allow smoother transactions on a drop day.

Add a pre-order option if you must and call it a day. Call me cynical, but this is undoubtedly set for one of those "in pleasing the few, it will p**s off the many". Just look at what limiting the purchase from 2-to-1 did with the SRS-13 Mule; though in that case Spyderco was thinking of the all. Time will tell.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Truth be told, scarcity is certainly one of the primary factors in sustaining Mule demand.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

I think 2 days is an absolutely appropriate amount of time to sell out a mule. Good job Spyderco crew.

Leaving out the forum interest multiplyers, if that run was 700 then that's a good baseline for lower-interest steels. Magnacut was always going to be an outlier, and the bots would have bought 5,000 if they were available. Something in between, like the Maxamet run or the SPY-27 run... I think ~1,500 to 2,000 would be perfectly fine. That's about what I think Sal has said the new runs will be, so between 750 and 2,000 should be perfect depending on how much hype the new steel gets. Pick the lower end of that range for low anticipated demand, higher end for higher demand.

Again, kudos to the Spyderco crew for trying to find that right number.
mrdavidkolds

Post by mrdavidkolds »

How can I set myself up to be notified of the next mule team release? I especially want the SPY27.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Hello mrdavidkolds,

The forum is the notification. A week or two in advance of the release there will be a header at the top of the page with date, time and what mule drops.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

Morning All, for what it's worth I'm new to Mule Teams but if I had it my way, having the ability(and availability) to purchase two mules(regardless of steel hype) of each release would be desired. I'd be willing to put one through the ringer of testing/sharpening if I knew I had one in the wings. Just my thoughts but I'd also like to thank Sal and Spyderco for offering such a unique opportunity to make a personal relationship with knives while sharing our findings and experience. Thank you guys & gals.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Welcome to the forum tcarltonw! "May you grow rich in Mules!"
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
LosOne

Post by LosOne »

ykspydiefan wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:49 pm
Hello mrdavidkolds,

The forum is the notification. A week or two in advance of the release there will be a header at the top of the page with date, time and what mule drops.
This is why I joined here.

I recently bought my first Spyderco (K390 Endura) and I'd really like to get my hands on a mule too.
tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:14 am
Welcome to the forum tcarltonw! "May you grow rich in Mules!"
Thank you! I recently purchased some Gcarta scales in anticipation as well as a harvesting some bois d arc from a friend's place. I'm trying to wait as patiently as possible haha