Who got the SRS13?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
electro-static

Re: Who got the SRS13?

Post by electro-static »

Has anyone started testing it yet?
Rwstubbz

Post by Rwstubbz »

I got one, but ups shipped it to an "access point" instead of my house. Pisses me off because they are only open during my working hours. I have to figure out how to get it, but once I do, I'll let you know.
attila

Post by attila »

Sorry, no testing yet. I just received mine this evening.

First impression: holy moly, it has a THICK edge grind everywhere but the tip!

I was hoping for a nice, thin edge since I had intended for this to perform kitchen duties, but this is as fat BTE as any cheapo kitchen knife I've ever had. I seem to be very unlucky with Golden and now Seki Mules, as they always come with fat BTE thicknesses. Has anyone else experienced this?
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

attila wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:57 pm

I was hoping for a nice, thin edge since I had intended for this to perform kitchen duties, but this is as fat BTE as any cheapo kitchen knife I've ever had. I seem to be very unlucky with Golden and now Seki Mules, as they always come with fat BTE thicknesses. Has anyone else experienced this?
do you have a set of calipers? I could compare it to my Mule, but I'd need to know what your BTE thickness actually is.

A worthwhile investment at under $10
https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Caliper- ... 08LKDGKJ9/

A slightly nicer one (this is the one I use) $23
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0979XS5FS/
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
fixall

Post by fixall »

attila wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:57 pm

I'd be curious to hear what yours measures at. I just checked eight Mule Team knives that I haven't sharpened yet, and they range between .017" bte to .028" bte. My Taichung Mule Teams all seem to be the thinnest, which I found interesting.

Before I start putting a Mule Team through it's paces I sharpen them and set the edge at a 14 degree angle. This gives me a behind the edge thickness of around .015" on average. I'd prefer to see something more like .01" bte on a kitchen knife, but the Mule Team uses 3mm thick stock and isn't really meant to be a kitchen knife, lol... So yea.
Last edited by fixall on Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Kitchen knives should be thin, though this is a Mule not a kitchen knife. But just for comparison my Chief is abot .023" bte, and my Delica and Dragonfly's are about .019-.020" bte.

I'll measure my Mule, Spyderco Chef Knife, and Z-cuts tomorrow.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
attila

Post by attila »

Alright, so it seems that the edge angle is just more acute than my other mules, since it has a much taller edge approaching the plunge grind than my Z-Max and Magnacut, but those measure thicker BTE.

Z-Max > 0.027”
Magnacut > 0.024”
SRS13 > 0.021”

In contrast, all 3 of my Taichung mules are 0.015-0.019” BTE. Even my well-used B70P is still 0.018” BTE.

I totally get that mules aren’t a kitchen knife design, but with as many mules and as few quality kitchen knives as I have, I like to use the mules sometimes. Even if I weren't to use them in the kitchen, I think the mule series should be kept at around 0.010-0.015” BTE.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

David R

Post by David R »

imo, BTE thickness testing won't tell you much unless you can ensure the knives all have the same same edge.
attila

Post by attila »

David R wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:50 pm
imo, BTE thickness testing won't tell you much unless you can ensure the knives all have the same same edge.
You’re quite right. They’d all need to be reprofiled to the same angle before an objective comparison could be made. Unfortunately, each factory sharpens differently, and I don’t reprofile all of my blades.

David R

Post by David R »

attila wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:37 pm
David R wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:50 pm
You’re quite right. They’d all need to be reprofiled to the same angle before an objective comparison could be made. Unfortunately, each factory sharpens differently, and I don’t reprofile all of my blades.
Because these are flat ground any measure of thickness at the same place on the spine and at the same place near the edge will tell you if the thickness is the same. I haven't done this specifically but could do so - will try this weekend. It looks to me like all the Mules are are very close in thickness at the spine, but I can see some differences. I don't know if the thickness is variable by the steel used or of these are variances between individual knives. I would guess stock differences by steel.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I finally got the time to get mine out and look it over. It's a nice knife and ground well. The sharpness out of the box isn't up to Endura/Delica standards but I'm glad as that kind of finish would put the cost up with them and the whole purpose isn't really a kit knife but a test of steel. I have no real tests yet but I have noticed a big difference in the bite of the edge in comparison to the K390 Endura I have been using most of the time now. Those carbides really do make a difference with both steels at 600 grit. I'm pretty impressed with the ease of sharpening with the SRS 13 and my best guess is this one will do really well at very high sharpness levels. I haven't done that yet but I'm impressed with the steel . Maybe going from K390 to SRS 13 seems a bigger difference than it is. I'm going to get the PD#1 mule out and do some comparisons.
BrokenArrow

Post by BrokenArrow »

This is my first mule. I don't know much about it but as soon as I get my scales I plan on putting it to use at the camp site, cabin and for hunting and fishing needs. Mine was hair saving sharp out of the box.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Took mine out of its box today; found a cool little sticker inside. No handle on it yet. Dragged the edge across my thumb - feels and sounds a lot like the edge on my VG-10 Delica. Super slicey thru paper - a razor; think I got one with a superb edge. No hangups and buttery smooth and no force necessary. Laminate doesn't parallel the edge very closely: about a 1/4" back from the edge near the handle and less than an 1/8" from the edge at the tip. Then, the exact opposite on the other side of the blade. ?????

Why doesn't the laminate parallel the edge?? ... and in a straight line???

I thought it was cool that these lasted a few days before they disappeared.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I think it's mor of a sanwich situation, the core of the sandwich is the good hard steel, and it's sticking out of the bread . Impossible to make it stick out exactly right !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
z1r

Post by z1r »

I'd forgotten about the drop and accidentally ended up on the website added one to the cart and found it was available. I just couldn't pull the trigger. I bought WAY too many knives last year and need to resist the urge this year. But it was soooooo tempting.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

z1r wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:14 am
I'd forgotten about the drop and accidentally ended up on the website added one to the cart and found it was available. I just couldn't pull the trigger. I bought WAY too many knives last year and need to resist the urge this year. But it was soooooo tempting.
Congratulations on stopping yourself ! I mean it, that's not necessarily that easy to do.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

z1r

Post by z1r »

Yes, I completed sucked at it last year. Now, since we can actually travel, I need to focus on finding more opportunities to use my knives rather than just accumulating more. And, just traveling for the sake of traveling.

Thanks!
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

Still waiting on mine to get here. When I check the USPS tracking number it says it was delivered to an address in Los Angeles 10 days ago but my invoice and shipping Email clearly show my Address In B.C. Canada. I'll give it a few more days to see if it arrives but it usually takes less than 2 weeks to get here and I have never seen that tracking error like that before.
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

FullScaler wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:09 pm
Still waiting on mine to get here. When I check the USPS tracking number it says it was delivered to an address in Los Angeles 10 days ago but my invoice and shipping Email clearly show my Address In B.C. Canada. I'll give it a few more days to see if it arrives but it usually takes less than 2 weeks to get here and I have never seen that tracking error like that before.
Mine did that last time and did it again. Weird boomerang movement and then blocked for a while before finally been sent out of the States.

Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

I glued my scales onto my SRS-13 mule since I printed them out of TPU this time around and they are a little flexi, also want to try to keep water out since this mule will live as a dedicated kitchen knife. Sharpening was easy. The steel feels hard, but not super wear resistant on the stones, takes a great edge.

Thus far I can confirm it slices onion, green pepper and my finger very well.