3d printed sheath project

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Bolster

Re: 3d printed sheath project

Post by Bolster »

Wow! This is just über cool, J.C.! Power to you!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Newest test, I split the model because I thought it would work better with my small printer. I now think it would be better to print in one piece so you don't need to glue it together. This version felt great with good retention.

Newest model with enlarged lanyard hole and added cube/snowflake pattern.
Ilocano73

Post by Ilocano73 »

Looks great! Will you be sharing it in Thingiverse?
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

looking good!
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Forgot to upload the model, sorry about that. I've tested parts but haven't printed it in one piece as I only have a crappy resin printer.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5372269
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I need to get off my behind and get one of these printed. Thanks for your work on these 3d models.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ilocano73

Post by Ilocano73 »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:07 am
Forgot to upload the model, sorry about that. I've tested parts but haven't printed it in one piece as I only have a crappy resin printer.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5372269
Thanks for sharing your creation. I know it takes some work, tinkering, test printing and such to get to this point.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Really nice design! I need my brother to first print one of your scales to compare a bit with what mines. If they are close to yours, il make sure to try the sheath and report on it.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Murva

Post by Murva »

Printing a test run on my FDM printer. I haven't printed in a few months so I'll run a second one if it doesn't come out well. I'll let you guys know how it goes!
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Murva wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 4:12 pm
Printing a test run on my FDM printer. I haven't printed in a few months so I'll run a second one if it doesn't come out well. I'll let you guys know how it goes!
The testing was done with a resin printer so with FDM you might need to scale up or down.
Murva

Post by Murva »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 12:32 pm
Murva wrote:
The testing was done with a resin printer so with FDM you might need to scale up or down.
Looking like i'll need to scale it up a percent or two. I cant get the sheath to push all the way down, but its close for sure. Starting up the second try now
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Murva wrote:
I know little to nothing about 3D printers. My brother have both a filament printer and resin printer. He still hasn't printed me anything cause he was waiting on some parts to replace. Do you think I can give him the sheath files, and say to use resin and he'll be sucessfull ? Or should I specify what kind of resin he should be using (total noob here!) ?
Thanks !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Ramonade wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 3:29 pm
Josh Crutchley wrote:
Murva wrote:
I know little to nothing about 3D printers. My brother have both a filament printer and resin printer. He still hasn't printed me anything cause he was waiting on some parts to replace. Do you think I can give him the sheath files, and say to use resin and he'll be sucessfull ? Or should I specify what kind of resin he should be using (total noob here!) ?
Thanks !
I don't know a lot myself but it should work ok with most common resins. I'm not sure about FDM printing, I have an Ender 3 but haven't had time to set it up. It should be easy to scale up or down in the slicer program to improve fit.
I've posted just about all of my projects here so when it comes to modeling all I can do is basic geometric shapes. I'm not skilled enough with freeform objects to create anything more than a blob.
Guts

Post by Guts »

Read most of the thread and really appreciate all the work put into this sheath. Just wanted to post some photos of the sheath printed on an FDM 3D printer for comparison. Printed this tip down with supports and it came out perfect. Supports came right off. Fitment is very tight but it breaks in no problem. Now the sheath is very snug and won't come off without using your thumb. Ended up printing two of them since it's so nice :smlling-eyes

:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

Guts wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:47 pm
Very nice
tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

Thank yall for sharing!
rooster81

Post by rooster81 »

Sheath printed in PETG at 80% infill. Works great! Main usage will be for keeping the knives sheathed when stored away. Would probably be fine in the pocket as well.

I prefer this friction sheath over the other one that uses a clip to retain the knife because I usually trim down the guard on the mules that I keep.

Thanks Josh!
IMG_20230227_192359.jpg
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

rooster81 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:31 pm
Sheath printed in PETG at 80% infill. Works great! Main usage will be for keeping the knives sheathed when stored away. Would probably be fine in the pocket as well.

I prefer this friction sheath over the other one that uses a clip to retain the knife because I usually trim down the guard on the mules that I keep.

Thanks Josh!

IMG_20230227_192359.jpg
Very cool! Love the orange.

It still needs a few updates when I have the time. The way it is the plastic will wear out making it loose over time. So I plan on adding a hole next to the thumb ramp to slide a small piece of o-ring/rubber rod. The rubber would be the main source of retention and shouldn't wear out. Originally it was going to be put in the existing hole but the nub would need modified for that to work.
rooster81

Post by rooster81 »

I was thinking about adding a bungee in the hole on the bottom and wrap that over the top for retention.