3d printed sheath project

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Josh Crutchley

3d printed sheath project

Post by Josh Crutchley »

This is the first version of my 3d printed sheath that's going to be matched up to my scale designs. It is a 2 piece clam-shell that uses the Spydiehole for retention. The belt clip still needs designed, not sure how it's gonna look yet. Once I test and make any changes needed I'll post the files.
Attachments
Untitled v4.4.png
Untitled v4.png
Untitled v4.1.png
Untitled v4.2.png
Araignee

Re: 3d printed sheath project

Post by Araignee »

Looking very nice already, and using the Spyderhole for retention is ingenious !

I wouldn't have thought about this simple yet elegant solution :cheap-sunglasses

Also, if possible, releasing a version without the belt clip (basically the version you've just posted) would be appreciated.
It's perfect for those using the sheath for storage purposes.
Last edited by Araignee on Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

have you thought of making a button to push to release the hole divot or do you prefer the tension method? Looks great.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Fireman wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:16 pm
have you thought of making a button to push to release the hole divot or do you prefer the tension method? Looks great.
That's a good idea I might try that if it's too hard to remove. Could just open the Spydiehole on the opposite side,, even if it doesn't help it might look better.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

The sea-saw button method was what I was thinking. Two opposing diving boards if you will with a fulcrum if the plastic can do that.
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

That's a great design. Very interested to see your finished product. And like Araignee mentioned, the version without a belt clip would be great for storage or for tucking into a bag or pack when hiking.
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I would love to see a spyderco clip added to the handle either with no scales for slim carry or thin scales so that would turn this into a pocket carry with the minimal sheath design. Perhaps mod a mule with a shorter handle? Could be a boot carry knife too with a clip and this minimalist sheath. Thoughts?
I hope you can iron out the hole detent idea.
Perhaps make the thumb ramp area the the portion you push to the side to release the hole detent so that it is easier and more ergonomic wise. You draw the knife and then pop off the sheath with your thumb and it is a simple design. You could just use the thumb ramp area as the capture area and skip the hole all together. Perhaps a lanyard hole to capture the sheath so you don’t lose it? The lanyard could attach at the back of the handle and to the sheath so that you never lose it. You could also just do an elastic shock cord version so that no other method of keeping the sheath on the knife is necessary and the least amount of r&d.
Many ways to skin this cat. Good thing cats have so many lives.
Last edited by Fireman on Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Fullscaler, what do you think about print scales with threaded inserts for a clip or would it just be better to use a harder material like micarta or aluminum? Anyone make aluminum or titanium scales for the mule yet??? That would be fancy!
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Fireman wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:17 am
I would love to see a spyderco clip added to the handle either with no scales for slim carry or thin scales so that would turn this into a pocket carry with the minimal sheath design. Perhaps mod a mule with a shorter handle? Could be a boot carry knife too with a clip and this minimalist sheath. Thoughts?
I hope you can iron out the hole detent idea.
Perhaps make the thumb ramp area the the portion you push to the side to release the hole detent so that it is easier and more ergonomic wise. You draw the knife and then pop off the sheath with your thumb and it is a simple design. You could just use the thumb ramp area as the capture area and skip the hole all together. Perhaps a lanyard hole to capture the sheath so you don’t lose it? The lanyard could attach at the back of the handle and to the sheath so that you never lose it. You could also just do an elastic shock cord version so that no other method of keeping the sheath on the knife is necessary and the least amount of r&d.
Many ways to skin this cat. Good thing cats have so many lives.
This is what I came up with the other day but don't like the look so I'm still looking at options.
Attachments
Untitled v8.png
Untitled v8.1.png
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

First test needs some changes.
Last edited by Josh Crutchley on Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Your designs move from thought to reality impressively fast. I cannot wait to see what you come up with next.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

What are your thoughts on a lanyard hole?
Possibly behind the thumb ramp? The lanyard hole could double as a detention release.
I would love a few of those since I have gotten into the mule collection game.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Fireman wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:40 pm
What are your thoughts on a lanyard hole?
Possibly behind the thumb ramp? The lanyard hole could double as a detention release.
I would love a few of those since I have gotten into the mule collection game.
I don't think the resin is strong enough for the release and it probably wont need it. I really like the idea of a button similar to pistol holster though. That way it can be made from a stronger material but it would need a pin and spring.
Attachments
PaddleHolster.jpg
PaddleHolster.jpg (44.87 KiB) Viewed 4184 times
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Copy.
I think a lanyard hole on the sheath is still a good idea for a few reasons. I like the idea of a shock cord keeping it sheathed and keeping it from being lost.
Xayaza

Post by Xayaza »

This is awesome. I bet it's lightweight with the 3D printed parts! I need to reprint some parts... maybe I should pick up a resin printer sometime in the future, though I'm happy with my prusa mk3 lol
Ilocano73

Post by Ilocano73 »

Looks great! I tried using the Spydiehole for retention in one of my design but the PLA at 0.2 keeps getting caught in the ridges and many times does not release smoothly.
Last edited by Ilocano73 on Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Ilocano73 wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:52 pm
Looks great! I tried using the Spydiehole for retention in one of my design but the PLA at 0.02 keeps getting caught in the ridges and many times does not release smoothly.
Yeah I'm working on release now and it's possible I'll go for the paddle button instead.
SopfCA

Post by SopfCA »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:46 pm
This is the first version of my 3d printed sheath that's going to be matched up to my scale designs. It is a 2 piece clam-shell that uses the Spydiehole for retention. The belt clip still needs designed, not sure how it's gonna look yet. Once I test and make any changes needed I'll post the files.
My friend does 3d printing as well. The products come up really well and smooth
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:10 pm
First test...

Way cool, Josh. I am awarding you some coolness points.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Thanks!

Second possibly third test, sorry for the crappy pictures. Already have the next version ready to go. Need some input on where a lanyard could go. I also don't know what type of clip to use. Open to suggestions.