3d printed sheath project

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Araignee

Re: 3d printed sheath project

Post by Araignee »

You could possibly add a hole at the tip, after the tenon. That'd mean slightly extending the tip in order to accomdate the hole.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

by the finger choil, thumb ramp or the belt clip
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Araignee wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:16 am
You could possibly add a hole at the tip, after the tenon. That'd mean slightly extending the tip in order to accomdate the hole.
Fireman wrote:by the finger choil, thumb ramp or the belt clip
I'm trying on the tip first, how's this look?
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

That position would work
The longer distance from the rear of the knife butt where the lanyard would likely be attached could be an issue based on use and storage. The shorter the distance the better imho and another means of retention if a shock cord is used.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Fireman wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:07 pm
That position would work
The longer distance from the rear of the knife butt where the lanyard would likely be attached could be an issue based on use and storage. The shorter the distance the better imho and another means of retention if a shock cord is used.
I've not settled on where to put the lanyard yet. I might need to add a secondary retention near the nub.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I’m impressed with how this is turning out.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:40 pm
I’m impressed with how this is turning out.
I want to add patterns that match the different scales I've made. The lanyard is going to move and some other changes may happen. The retention mechanism needs some changes. The part that actually goes in the Spydiehole will need to be made from a harder/tougher material and bonded/glued to the sheath. I'm also thinking of adding pieces of o-rings(source of round rubber) for something to prevent edge damage during insertion.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

A thought…
one side could be the catch that encapsulates both the thumb ramp and the nub. Probably half of the length would need to have cuts on both sides and printed so it has to bend to sheath side and it would snap over the two sides. If the lanyard hole was on the thumb ramp you could grip the handle, pushing it to the side and forward to let it drop off and be retained by the lanyard attached to the butt.
Cadenno

Post by Cadenno »

On tingiverse there is a project already made for a case with a double block. (Not my project).
The locking system works reasonably well, there is only one problem, the blade wobbles a lot inside. But maybe starting from that project, you can improve it, and maybe add a clip and a hole for the lanyard.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5228344
PStone

Post by PStone »

Wow Josh! You have some incredible visions that you are making reality. Very quickly too! I am very impressed with your ability to problem solve and improve your designs in real time. As well as taking everyone's suggestions and critiques and incorporating them into your work. Can't wait to see what you make into reality next!
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Cadenno wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:30 am
On tingiverse there is a project already made for a case with a double block. (Not my project).
The locking system works reasonably well, there is only one problem, the blade wobbles a lot inside. But maybe starting from that project, you can improve it, and maybe add a clip and a hole for the lanyard.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5228344
That's an issue I'm dealing with as well. I'm using ridges that try to hold the blade but they need a lot of tweaking. Also thinking of using rubber to help secure it better.
Attachments
Untitled v17.png
Cadenno

Post by Cadenno »

If you want I can do some tests, covering with a layer of elastic resin the ridges to hold the blade in place in your project.
Just brush and then cure with UV, repeating this a few times will create several layers attached directly to the print without gluing other parts.
With the same process I can put a high abrasion resistant resin on the part that comes in contact with the spydiehole.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:56 am
I'm trying on the tip first, how's this look?
Nice ! But you've actually inserted two wholes ?
Also, I see that you've enlarged the tenons as well.

And it got me thinking - for a derivative of this design : would a provision for a clip, on the larger end of the sheath, make sense ?
I'm trying to imagine using a standard Spyderco clip, bolting it on the sheath, and then clipping the sheath on a pants pocket.
The knife could then be removed from the sheath using just one hand, with a finger triggering the retention mechanism.
(Given this mechanism isn't ambidextrous, there could be two versions of the "clip sheath" - on for carry on the left hand side, the other for the right hand side).
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Araignee wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:57 am

Nice ! But you've actually inserted two wholes ?
Also, I see that you've enlarged the tenons as well.
Its a drain hole, not sure its needed just seen it on many other designs. The round tenons resulted in thin wall sections that my printer cant handle.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

"Some call me...Tim?"
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:33 pm
Its a drain hole, not sure its needed just seen it on many other designs. The round tenons resulted in thin wall sections that my printer cant handle.
Ah I see. But perhaps it's be more efficient to have a few smaller drain holes scattered beneath the blade, rather than just a bigger one at the tip :thinking

The larger tenons makes even more sense given the heterogeneity of printers. This changes should make it easier to print for other people, too 👍
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

I am really digging your progress Josh. I am very interested to see the finished product. I can envision matching scales and sheath in the same translucent colors allowing to see the blade through the sheath, and the tang through the scales. And if the sheath and scales both had the same texture (Mule cubes) it would be super sweet.
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

FullScaler wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:40 am
I am really digging your progress Josh. I am very interested to see the finished product. I can envision matching scales and sheath in the same translucent colors allowing to see the blade through the sheath, and the tang through the scales. And if the sheath and scales both had the same texture (Mule cubes) it would be super sweet.

New version without Spydiehole retention. Replaced with retention at the thumb ramp and the lanyard adds secondary retention at the nub. Going to try an print as one piece.
Attachments
Untitled v9.png
Untitled v91.png
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Looking good!