Stonewashed Mule Experiment

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Bolster

Stonewashed Mule Experiment

Post by Bolster »

While fitting a sheath, I accidentally left sanding grit inside the sheath and scratched one of my MC mules noticeably. This was the incentive I needed to try a stonewash.

I used inexpensive tri-lobe ceramic media from Harbor Freight in a RCBS vibe tumbler. I chose not to use my Thumler's Tumbler (Thumler is a rotating type, not a vibratory type) because I was afraid the Thumler might break the tip! The RCBS has a less aggressive motion. I also put in water and a good squirt of dish detergent.

Then-- leave it alone for 6 hours. Results below (really only visible if you click on the photos to see the images at larger size). The result is an overall "used" look to the knife that I like. I chose not to do the darker acid + stonewash finish. I don't quite groove on the dark stoned look, I like the "heavy but gentle use, with tiny scratches everywhere" look that plain stonewashing gives.

As you could guess, the knife edge came out duller than dull, so next up is a resharpening. BTW, those ugly scratch marks I started with, are now erased. As is most of the Spyder logo, which is barely visible in the right light.
Attachments
Stone IMG_1599Sm.jpg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bolster

Re: Stonewashed Mule Experiment

Post by Bolster »

Comparison shot. Difficult to photograph. In some light you can't see much of a difference other than a bit of duller sheen. Under ideal lighting, the effect is almost artistic. On average, it's a subtle difference, but less likely to show scratches.
Attachments
Stone IMG_4247Sm.jpg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Looks good to me!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Excellent "repair" of the scratches. Shame about the missing Bug, but it will look more custom this way, just like when they strip the badges off of cars.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

The experiment speaks for itself. Nice save. Great save really.

I would like to reiterate a comment I have read posted by others but have not found to quote directly. It goes, the people using the Mules should get dibs on getting the Mules.

If forumites could vote to move others up on the list for the next Mule, I would put one in your column for sure. As well as the people doing modifications and handles and sharing how to instructions and...
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

I think, the stonewashed one looks so much better. Very, very nice.
Always wanted to stonewash a blade myself, but do not have a tumbler. These pics just want me to do it even more.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Senfkarte wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:27 am
Always wanted to stonewash a blade myself, but do not have a tumbler. These pics just want me to do it even more.
Thanks!

Well, there is the ghetto method, but I'm not recommending it, I've never tried it, and probably never will. I've just read about it. Empty/clean peanut butter or other plastic jar, fill with pebbles and item to be stonewashed. Wrap jar in towel and secure the towel into place with duct tape. Put in dryer. Run dryer without heat. Receive divorce papers from wife.

HF will sell you a tumbler for $64, but I don't know what you've got available in Deutschland?

www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-metal-vibrat ... 67617.html
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:29 pm
Senfkarte wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:27 am
Thanks!

Well, there is the ghetto method, but I'm not recommending it, I've never tried it, and probably never will. I've just read about it. Empty/clean peanut butter or other plastic jar, fill with pebbles and item to be stonewashed. Wrap jar in towel and secure the towel into place with duct tape. Put in dryer. Run dryer without heat. Receive divorce papers from wife.

HF will sell you a tumbler for $64, but I don't know what you've got available in Deutschland?

www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-metal-vibrat ... 67617.html
Have heard about that method too, have thought about it a second and then decided, that I won't try it this way. First, I don't own a dryer (but I am sure the washing machine would have a fitting setting) and second, I would not feel good about puting this in the dryer or the washing machine. If something goes wrong...not worth it.
But I have to admit, I thought about going even more ghetto. Basically the same setup but without the dryer. Just shake it by hand. Put in some in ears, watch Netflix (or something else) and shake, shake, shake...
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Senfkarte wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:27 pm
Have heard about that method too, have thought about it a second and then decided, that I won't try it this way. First, I don't own a dryer (but I am sure the washing machine would have a fitting setting) and second, I would not feel good about puting this in the dryer or the washing machine. If something goes wrong...not worth it.
But I have to admit, I thought about going even more ghetto. Basically the same setup but without the dryer. Just shake it by hand. Put in some in ears, watch Netflix (or something else) and shake, shake, shake...

If you do that, please report results. I'm interested if it's possible. I had a dedicated machine doing the work for 6 hours, so...that would be a lot of Netflix, and you'd build some serious muscles doing it! I have heard of guys who made paint mixing machines by attaching clamps to the wheel of a car, clamping on a can of paint, then driving the car slowly...so I think creativity is your ally, here. What else goes round and round at a speed slow enough that centrifugal force doesn't take over?
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

One more thought. Back when I was into paintball, we'd "roll" our paintballs before a tournament to get them round so they'd fly straight. We'd make a rolling machine, basically a small rotisserie, made of a cylindrical food storage container, drilled top and bottom, so we could insert a rod down the center. In would go the balls. Then we'd suspend that rod fore and aft on "bearings" of wood cut in the shape of a V. Then attach a drill to the end of the rod, and spin the food container with the drill. Now that would be ultra-ghetto but you could still watch Netflix while doing it.
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:28 pm
Senfkarte wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:27 pm

If you do that, please report results. I'm interested if it's possible. I had a dedicated machine doing the work for 6 hours, so...that would be a lot of Netflix, and you'd build some serious muscles doing it! I have heard of guys who made paint mixing machines by attaching clamps to the wheel of a car, clamping on a can of paint, then driving the car slowly...so I think creativity is your ally, here. What else goes round and round at a speed slow enough that centrifugal force doesn't take over?
Driving slowly just to stone wash a blade or mix paint, does not sound like something I would do. But in the summer, doing this mod on a lawn mower might work :thinking
Or if one has a lefty fork from Cannondale on his bike, this could work. Admittedly, I don't think, there are that many people out there, that want to stone wash in a weird way and own such a fork.
And then there are the obvious ones: lathe, drill, basically every power tool... if available.

I assume, you stone washed the whole knife, including the tang? In my plans, I would have to cover some parts of the blade somehow. But I am not sure, if tape or nail polish is sufficient for this kind of load.

I think, I will test the shake method some day, with a random piece of metal, just to see how insane and stupid this idea is.
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:33 pm
One more thought. Back when I was into paintball, we'd "roll" our paintballs before a tournament to get them round so they'd fly straight. We'd make a rolling machine, basically a small rotisserie, made of a cylindrical food storage container, drilled top and bottom, so we could insert a rod down the center. In would go the balls. Then we'd suspend that rod fore and aft on "bearings" of wood cut in the shape of a V. Then attach a drill to the end of the rod, and spin the food container with the drill. Now that would be ultra-ghetto but you could still watch Netflix while doing it.
Maybe I misunderstand the whole construction, but I see the stones and blade just sliding along the sidewall of the food container. But maybe it would work. One would to have to try it, to be sure.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Senfkarte wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:28 pm
assume, you stone washed the whole knife, including the tang? In my plans, I would have to cover some parts of the blade somehow. But I am not sure, if tape or nail polish is sufficient for this kind of load.

This time, yes. But my last stonewash was of just the tang. Simply required duct tape to cover the blade I didn't want stonewashed. Worked well, but I stonewashed dry not wet. Wet might have worked?
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:43 am
Senfkarte wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:28 pm
assume, you stone washed the whole knife, including the tang? In my plans, I would have to cover some parts of the blade somehow. But I am not sure, if tape or nail polish is sufficient for this kind of load.

This time, yes. But my last stonewash was of just the tang. Simply required duct tape to cover the blade I didn't want stonewashed. Worked well, but I stonewashed dry not wet. Wet might have worked?
Ok, thanks
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Really nice results! I think the "repaired" Mule is actually the improved Mule. Well done!

Is the Spyder logo gone or just obscured by light reflection in the pic?
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:19 pm
While fitting a sheath, I accidentally left sanding grit inside the sheath and scratched one of my MC mules noticeably. This was the incentive I needed to try a stonewash.

I used inexpensive tri-lobe ceramic media from Harbor Freight in a RCBS vibe tumbler. I chose not to use my Thumler's Tumbler (Thumler is a rotating type, not a vibratory type) because I was afraid the Thumler might break the tip! The RCBS has a less aggressive motion. I also put in water and a good squirt of dish detergent.

Then-- leave it alone for 6 hours. Results below (really only visible if you click on the photos to see the images at larger size). The result is an overall "used" look to the knife that I like. I chose not to do the darker acid + stonewash finish. I don't quite groove on the dark stoned look, I like the "heavy but gentle use, with tiny scratches everywhere" look that plain stonewashing gives.

As you could guess, the knife edge came out duller than dull, so next up is a resharpening. BTW, those ugly scratch marks I started with, are now erased. As is most of the Spyder logo, which is barely visible in the right light.
Looks awesome!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Xplorer wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:57 am
Is the Spyder logo gone or just obscured by light reflection in the pic?

Obscured. You can see the bug when the light is "right."