Mule team T-Shirts anyone?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
sal

Re: Mule team T-Shirts anyone?

Post by sal »

I agree with Bolster on the appearance of Mules, the animal. I'd like to see more options. I had thought about a string of Mule Team knives, one in front of the other, pulling a wagon of some type. I'm pretty busy on the design end these days so you guys will have to help. I'll ask Peter & Kristi to watch the the thread as well.

Hey Jonathon,

Are you planning on trying to make these shirts yourself? selling them yourself? That's a mighty big chore considering sizes, volume, inventory and quality.

sal
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:17 pm
I agree with Bolster on the appearance of Mules, the animal. I'd like to see more options. I had thought about a string of Mule Team knives, one in front of the other, pulling a wagon of some type. I'm pretty busy on the design end these days so you guys will have to help. I'll ask Peter & Kristi to watch the the thread as well.

Hey Jonathon,

Are you planning on trying to make these shirts yourself? selling them yourself? That's a mighty big chore considering sizes, volume, inventory and quality.

sal
There might be a third party company that can cover a lot of the hard work. Provide them the design and people from this group can go and order. I think some companies work like this and will produce on demand, might up the cost a bit but it would be worth it.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi William,

That's not a likely scenario. We've got millions of dollars in our marks and we don't permit anyone to use them without our direct control.

sal
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Hi Sal. I was outlined the arrangements needed by Peter.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jonathon,

I assure you that Peter would not under any circumstances release our marks to a third party. When I spoke with Peter earlier today, he again said that we cannot and would not authorize a 3rd party to use our marks under their control. I don't know where the misunderstanding might have occurred? I guess you can ask Peter?

Sorry if you are disappointed. I guess you should have outlined your plan to me before beginning. I would have told you no 3rd party control of our marks. I thought that you wanted Spyderco to make these shirts.

sal
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Hi Sal. I will make sure anything done is with your blessing and follows your rules to a T. I won’t do and would not do anything unless you and your back office are happy and every concern was addressed. Thank you for the input on the artwork, I will see what we as the collective can come up with.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:35 pm
I assure you that Peter would not under any circumstances release our marks to a third party. When I spoke with Peter earlier today, he again said that we cannot and would not authorize a 3rd party to use our marks under their control.

Makes sense to me, Sal. My question is more basic: What constitutes Spyderco's mark? For example, is showing the silhouette of a Spyderco mule knife, or a depiction of the hole, using one of Spyderco's marks? I know the BUG for sure is a trademark, but maybe the overall shape of the mule is too. I was worried I was on thin ice merely tracing the outline of the mule knife.

Thats one reason I stayed away from making things too spyderco-marked in my designs (bug taken off, etc), but then, I use your saying about God's critters, so...is that quote trademarked/copyrighted? Etc. I can see why this would become a big headache for S-co, and we are trying to tread carefully.

Willing to make modifications as needed.

Thanks man!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Since we all want to be above board on this, is it easier to not use anything related to spyderco and be an inside nod thing?Image
An official shirt from spyderco would be great and have the most appeal but I need guidance on how to have a non official mule team pride shirt and not use a silhouette or the words “Mule team” Should we make a pack of mules pulling a cart and have the words “cutting edge technology tester”? let’s have fun and maybe come up with something people will love to wear.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:17 pm
I had thought about a string of Mule Team knives, one in front of the other, pulling a wagon of some type.
Attachments
Mule Team Wagon Logo.png
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

The elemental version. Could also flip the mule-shoe upside down, but this way gives a sideways wink at "Mule Team University." The point being, we're here to learn. I think I would like a shirt with this logo emblazoned on it, it's a simple, bold design. Needs a little refinement though...can do that later if folks like it, but it's Sal's call ...
Attachments
Horseshoe Logo.png
Last edited by Bolster on Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

LOL, need to add this text somewhere:

"Can you handle it?"

:squinting-tongue
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

Those are very cool Bolster! I would definitely buy and wear that. Hard to say which one I like better but I would probably want a couple of both! Lol.
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bolster, Fireman.

We have trademarked every identifiable feature that says "Spyderco". So if it says anything that you can look at at and think "Spyderco", that would be "marks". These could be trademarks, trade dress, copy-write, patents, etc.

That's why Fireman has been speaking with our legal guy. (Peter). I've been watching the thread because there are two possible directions/paths. One is that the Spyderco staff thinks it's cool and marketable and decides to make it. the other that Fireman does his own thing and as he said, with a nod. That presents it's own problems with marketing, among other issues.

I'm honored that you would want to do something like a Mule Team Shirt. I think which path is possible will depend more on what Fireman wants to do and how well this group can push the envelope in designs for both paths? Trying to determine how many shirts to produce will be an important "guess". Maybe some type of pre-order system including the size desired? S-M-L-XL-2XL is a lot of inventory. 500 shirts (100 ea of 5 sizes) is a good sized investment.

sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Instead of the shoe, I think a more iconic image would be the mule collar with hames.

Below is a screenshot of a picture I found on the web so you can see what I mean.
Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 3.05.56 PM.jpg

"Spyderco Mule Team" & the subheading of "Can you handle it?" as someone suggested above could be added.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:24 am
LOL, need to add this text somewhere:

"Can you handle it?"

:squinting-tongue
:rofl
Awesome
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Thanks for the input Sal!
You have some dedicated fans because you are so dedicated.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Mule drop! (image of a mule parachuting)

Got Mules?

Mules, get a handle on em’

I’m on a mule kick

I get a kick out of mules

Mule, is my spirit animal

Colorado mule (image of a mule in a glass)

I live by the Golden Mule

Golden mule, get it before others or others will get it before you

Release the mules!

I went to get a mule and all I got was an empty cart

Put in the cart before you get the mule
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:09 pm
Instead of the shoe, I think a more iconic image would be the mule collar with hames.

I dunno, Boss, I think you will need to find a Freudian artist to make that design...
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I was wondering if a picture of a mule team pulling a wagon on a t-shirt might rile up US Borax. Though, the actual mule teams that hauled borax had 20 mules pulling two wagons.

What about a team of mules with Mule Team blades placed where others have suggested, but pulling a bread truck? Spyderco Mule Team owners would spot that a mile (1.6 km) away. ;)
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I'm kind of scanning over this thread, but as long as the artwork is decent, I will almost certainly be on board. Have seen a number of good ideas so far, will offer feedback if something hits me or something specific is asked - not very good with visual art though I'm decent at visual concepts.