Next Mule Steel ?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Fireman

Re: Next Mule Steel ?

Post by Fireman »

1V is pretty rad
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The map is not the terrain. The chart is not the steel.

Many of these charts from steel manufacturers are directed at industry and manufacturing needs, not knife use. Dr. Larrin Thomas's charts and data are directly applicable to knife making. This is an important thing to keep in mind.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Not sure if the steel will be available by the time the next mule comes around, but Apex Ultra would be interesting to try, especially if run at the very high hardness that was part of its design goal.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

This is a fun thread and I gotta ask: Where are you cognoscenti learning about these leading-edge steels? I find out about them here, but where are you guys learning about "Apex Ultra" and other steels in the high-altitude section of the stairway to heaven? Is it Larrin's blog, or other source?

A steel I'm curious about is Bohler's K340. Can't find much about it. Supposedly a PD-1, CruWear, Z-Wear class steel but with less alloy, so possibly a tough steel with unknown (but probably moderately high) wear resistance. An ESR steel, so, a very clean steel. I think it's Bohler's more-tough-less-edge retention alternative to K390. Possibly a well balanced steel. 8% Cr so not all the way to a stainless.

But try to find knives that use it! Not many.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:57 pm
This is a fun thread and I gotta ask: Where are you cognoscenti learning about these leading-edge steels? I find out about them here, but where are you guys learning about "Apex Ultra" and other steels in the high-altitude section of the stairway to heaven? Is it Larrin's blog, or other source?

A steel I'm curious about is Bohler's K340. Can't find much about it. Supposedly a PD-1, CruWear, Z-Wear class steel but with less alloy, so possibly a tough steel with unknown (but probably moderately high) wear resistance. An ESR steel, so, a very clean steel. I think it's Bohler's more-tough-less-edge retention alternative to K390. Possibly a well balanced steel. 8% Cr so not all the way to a stainless.

But try to find knives that use it! Not many.
Larrin's site of course, www.knifesteelnerds.com

Apex Ultra is his latest new steel made for forging.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vanka

Post by vanka »

Right now the steels i want to see in a mule are M398, Vanadis 8, and Apex Ultra. Although giving the current state of development of Apex Ultra i'll be surprised if we see it before the end of the year.