PD1 Mule history help

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Crox

PD1 Mule history help

Post by Crox »

I got the Magnacut mule which is my first.

In the spirit of wanting to test, I found a fair price on a PD1 mule.

In looking around on the forum, it seems like these were on the shelf a long time. Then it looks like the mules were stopped (around 2017?). Then the started again - also with PD1 in 2020?

My box date is 2017. I’m just generally interested in any information folks have about it because I’m not seeing much feedback on PD1 and seemed unpopular. Thanks!
standy99

Re: PD1 Mule history help

Post by standy99 »

Here is a thread

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=78142

Here is a explanation from the above thread linked when I asked about PD1

Tuscan Tom,s view
“PD1 is (as I understand it) a version instead of Cruwear, but made by Carpenter. This is NOT a stainless steel. Don't let that worry you though, this is (Cruwear that is) a highly regarded steel by many people. A great balance of properties and pleasant to sharpen. I have read almost nothing about PD1 specifically, but I think it is safe to expect the same from PD1 as from Cruwear. Be aware of the fact it is non-stainless and enjoy it.”
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

If you think Cruwear is great, you will adore PD1 is all I can say. I guess it says a lot about product names and marketing. Cruwear sounds snappy and cool. The name PD1 doesn't push peoples buttons. But they are essentially the same steels.

It looks like my old comments are being repeated up above now that I squint at it more closely. But I haven't changed my opinions.

So anything you read about Cruwear applies to PD1 -- if you scored a PD1 mule at a good price, you did good.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Crox wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:38 am
I got the Magnacut mule which is my first.

In the spirit of wanting to test, I found a fair price on a PD1 mule.

In looking around on the forum, it seems like these were on the shelf a long time. Then it looks like the mules were stopped (around 2017?). Then the started again - also with PD1 in 2020?

My box date is 2017. I’m just generally interested in any information folks have about it because I’m not seeing much feedback on PD1 and seemed unpopular. Thanks!
The original Carpenter Micro-Melt PD#1 (PD1) Mule Team blades were introduced in 2017. The Mule Team market was waning about that time, so the PD1 Mules hung around for a few years. The SFO handles the distribution of the Mule Team blades and they sold the last two PD1's in 2020; I bought the last two they had.

Here's a sticky that has the dates the Mules were introduced. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=89168

I've noticed that steel companies will produce steel for a particular purpose. Sometimes that steel will work out well for making blades, too. It seems like two or three companies will want to get on the bandwagon and produce a steel with the same properties as the one from brand "x," but due to patents they have to tweak the recipe to get around a patent. If these copies weren't marked one probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between any of them in real world use. I've read that CPM's Cru-Wear, Zapp's Z-Wear PM, and Carpenter's PD1 are identical, or nearly identical. (Then there are "triplets," like CTS 204P, CPM 20CV, and Bohler-Uddeholm's M390.) I've also read that Crucible, (CPM,) makes Cru-Wear for Zapp who calls it Z-Wear PM. (Anyone feel free to jump in here and straighten me out if I've got this wrong.)

Here's a link to the steel charts on the Spyderco website where the different steels can be compared: https://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/steel-chart/

I've read that PD1 has good compressive strength and was originally used to make punching dies, therefore, it's called Punching Die #1 steel. (Get it, PD#1.) ;)

I agree with everything Tucson Tom has said.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Naming of anything really matters on how well something sells, with few exceptions like the BMW model names. Dr. Larrin sure understood this when he named his first steel MagnaCut. The PD1 mule is better than the first release of the Cruwear mule because the Cruwear release was ingot steel and not the superior PM version, as far as I know.
I only found out that PD1 was essentially the same as Cruwear very late and was pleased to find they were still in stock. It’s unlikely I’ll get that lucky again.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Crox

Post by Crox »

Thanks all.

I was aware of the likeness to Cruwear and why I jumped on it. I saw on here they were tested around 64 HRC - cool 😎

Kind of shocking it sat around for a few years. I don’t get that part. I had seen the release dates but also saw indications of 2020 buy dates and couldn’t put it together. Crazy.

What I couldn’t find is the thread or discussion of usage / sharpening of that mule. Thanks for the link to some discussions - I’ll take a closer read.

I’m excited to compare it with Magnacut. I fully expect it to behave the same with the exception of corrosion resistance of course! I’ll be shocked to feel any difference in use - but I’ll try.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

In times gone you could buy a choice of 3 different mules as there was stock of several.
I know when I bought my first mules there was 3 different steels I could have purchased. Decided on PD#1 and CPM 20CV

Then when it was heard the Mule was being discontinued everyone wanted one and here we are today...
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
attila

Post by attila »

When I got my one B70P, one PMA11, and later one PD#1, I thought that these three as well as plenty of RWL34 and LC200N would stay in stock long enough for me to decide if I really wanted more.

Sal’s mention of shutting down the Mule Team project motivated people to clear out the inventory of mules. I thought I had more time but missed out. In hindsight, I wish I had bought at least two of each.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I'm using my PD1 mule now. PD1 is a good example of why the mule team project died. The steel is awesome but people didn't read it as "Cruwear" and it sat for a very, very long time. At one time you could add 1000 to your cart and it would show you how many were on the shelf. I like the steel.
David R

Post by David R »

PD#1, RWL-34, B70P, and PSF27, and PM A11 were all around for a long time. LC200N was around for less time, but was available for several months if I recall correctly. Given how long these sat on the shelf, I wasn't surprised at all that Spyderco stopped making Mules.

I agree that people seem to be attracted to the brand name of the steel rather than the properties. Some of these seem to be underrated by the knife community.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Pokey wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:43 am
The original Carpenter Micro-Melt PD#1 (PD1) Mule Team blades were introduced in 2017. The Mule Team market was waning about that time, so the PD1 Mules hung around for a few years. The SFO handles the distribution of the Mule Team blades and they sold the last two PD1's in 2020; I bought the last two they had.
Oh yeah? When did you buy those 2?

I bought one in Sept 2020, so I caught the tail end of the supply as well.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Rp5 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:27 am

I usually toss the receipt in the boxes before I put the boxes in my other box of boxes in the closet. ;) I didn't see any of the receipts in either box though. It's possible I bought another knife that day, too, and the receipt is in that knifes' box.

With regards to old Mule Team blades at the SFO, I bought a PMA11 (MT-26, 8/17) last year. They have a few Mules on display in the SFO, and as I recall one is a B70P (MT-20, 2/15,) and the other is an RWL-34 (MT-22, 4/16). I picked up an Elmax factory second, (MT-13, 2/12) last year at the sale. You just never know what gets dusted off and put up for sale there.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Rp5 wrote:

I bought a PD1 in September, the same week I joined the forum. I remember seeing them go out of stock for a week then come back for a few days then went out for good.
Edit:found the invoice it was 9-28-20
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:24 am
Rp5 wrote:

I bought a PD1 in September, the same week I joined the forum. I remember seeing them go out of stock for a week then come back for a few days then went out for good.
Edit:found the invoice it was 9-28-20
It's good steel.