POLL: Should Mule Team purchases be limited to one???

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.

With today's strong interest in Mules, should Mule purchases be limited to only one?

YES, please limit to one
14%
NO, please do not limit to one
55%
YES, please limit to one for 24 or 48 hours, then open it up for additional purchases if any are left
31%

Total votes: 103

cycleguy

POLL: Should Mule Team purchases be limited to one???

Post by cycleguy »

I was on ebay and noticed a huge number of MagnaCut Mules for sale or sold.

With today's strong interest in Mules, should Mule purchases be limited to only one?
So many knives - so little funds!!!
wes

Re: POLL: Should Mule Team purchases be limited to one???

Post by wes »

I usually put my mules through pretty heavy use...everything from kitchen, meat prep, grilling, outdoor use around salt water in Florida, elk hunting and hiking/camping in Montana and Wyoming, etc. I've got some pretty banged up mules. I would be disappointed if I was only able to order one. Being able to have a backup really gives me peace of mind to go all out on one. If I break it, I still have another one.
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

Being from Canada I sometimes get hit with customs fees on my mules. Couple this with the international shipping costs and the shipping can be more expensive than the mule itself by the time it gets here. It is very nice being able to order two and have it effectively cut the "per blade" shipping costs in half.

Having a time restricted limitation on ordering quantities would really hurt international sales and make it much more expensive to get these amazing blades into steel Afi's hands all around the world.

I would rather see the limit stay at 2, add some serious rotating multi stage captcha implementation to lock up the bots, and some server upgrades to handle the inevitable spike loads during ordering. As well, additional quantities and a regular production Mule will hopefully level the playing field a bit more too. I know It would not stop flippers completely, but it would give steel lovers the best chance possible at getting their hands on the new mules.

(BTW, I know server costs can be expensive but even a $5 stipend on a run of 2000 mules like Magnacut would provide $10,000 towards server, captcha, and bot blocking upgrades.)
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

keep it in regular production and up the sprint run numbers
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

cycleguy wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:49 pm

In my experience, loading up on a lot of any "thing" generally leaves me with a whole lot of that "thing" that sits on a shelf unused. If I want a particular Mule, then one will be enough. I can understand guys who want two, one to beat up and one to keep nice.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I don't think there is a strong interest in mules. I just think they were interested in MagnaCut.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
standy99

Post by standy99 »

FullScaler wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:46 pm
Being from Canada I sometimes get hit with customs fees on my mules. Couple this with the international shipping costs and the shipping can be more expensive than the mule itself by the time it gets here. It is very nice being able to order two and have it effectively cut the "per blade" shipping costs in half.

Having a time restricted limitation on ordering quantities would really hurt international sales and make it much more expensive to get these amazing blades into steel Afi's hands all around the world.

I would rather see the limit stay at 2, add some serious rotating multi stage captcha implementation to lock up the bots, and some server upgrades to handle the inevitable spike loads during ordering. As well, additional quantities and a regular production Mule will hopefully level the playing field a bit more too. I know It would not stop flippers completely, but it would give steel lovers the best chance possible at getting their hands on the new mules.

(BTW, I know server costs can be expensive but even a $5 stipend on a run of 2000 mules like Magnacut would provide $10,000 towards server, captcha, and bot blocking upgrades.)

As like above. One at a time would be annoying. Same as Canada I’m in Australia and one is nearly as much as shipping. Leaving one for 24 hours then more when they sell out in under 24 hours.
Hey I might miss one or two steels the way it is but that’s OK

Flippers will always flip. With people like myself and others that buy 2 and make handles it’s keeping several out of the hands of flippers. :party-face :party-face

Magnacut and both Z steels were hot, it will be better as Sal mentioned more will be made so availability will be better. Not everyone is a mule collector and not everyone that bought a Magnacut will buy more. Selling out is always going to happen just like a sprint.

Even this forum dies down after a month of a new steel being released with it back to only about 10-15 long time Mule Heads here chatting amongst ourselves.
Last edited by standy99 on Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
hijinxtx

Post by hijinxtx »

It seems that there will always be those who take and advantage of any situation. Who knows that a limit of two would be effective? Actually might make the ebay price go up since there would be less available. Flippers aren't there for the steel, they are there for the money.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

By the way, flippers certainly manage to play around the 2 by house limit by using different credit cards and sending the orders at their friends' homes.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The only surefire, proven, rock solid way to prevent flippers is to not produce any. Works every time.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

They're already limited to 2, and we saw people in line at the SFO with multiple family members buying 2 each. One per person would slow it down but flippers have been beating this system for years already. Multiple accounts, multiple credit cards, multiple shipping addresses. It's not that difficult to get around.

You really want to mess with flippers? Make them all pre-sale/made to order to forum members only and make them all engraved with member screen names like the Spyder pendants we got a few years ago. Then at least they'd have to deface them or something to flip them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

By the way, flippers certainly manage to play around the 2 by house limit by using different credit cards and sending the orders at their friends' homes.
Everyone here is moaning about their inability to order even one Mule, and yet these so-called "flippers" are able to place multiple orders using different credit cards and addresses? These guys are SMART! Someone with that much skill surely deserves to profit from their brilliance.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Some people use programs to place their orders so that the average person cannot compete with that.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

How about factory engraving mule blades with: "Flippers can go straight to H3LL" or something? That wouldn't bother anyone the but flippers, am I right?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:01 pm
Everyone here is moaning about their inability to order even one Mule, and yet these so-called "flippers" are able to place multiple orders using different credit cards and addresses? These guys are SMART! Someone with that much skill surely deserves to profit from their brilliance.

It's like playing the lottery. Look at how many people here DID succeed at getting them. Now imagine any one of those people had 5 of their friends/family joining in on the fun. Their odds sure do get better.

Also I think many of the flips on this one came from in person purchases anyway.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

This is only the second Mule I have ever bought , the other was the very first one . So I’m really a newbie in this area , does this happen every time or was it all about the Magnacut ?
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
LakeOconee

Post by LakeOconee »

This was my first time, so don't know about the previous ones, but think it was all about MagnaCut.

I voted for two Mules, and to please make more of them next time.

On drop day there was a herd of buyers all trying to get through a small gate.

I don't think it mattered if they were aiming to buy one or two because there was not enough product for the demand.
:bug-red-white MNOSD Member #0037
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Maybe someone can answer this question , how many were made ? I’ve read 2,000 is that correct ? Someone at SFO slipped and said 2,500 to me checking on my order . I’m not sure if any amount made would have stopped any flipper from playing the game to get them on eBay. It’s a very unfortunate situation for those who were unable to get one ,I would be angry too .
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

I’m in favor of two. The magnacut was the first time I ever purchased two knives but it was specifically because I wanted to beat one up then keep one as a regular fixed blade.

Flippers are just a fact of life. They’re hideously annoying to guys like me but what are you gonna do? The longer I live, the more I’ve noticed that restrictions mostly just hurt the honest people. Dishonest people will always find a way to further game the system while the regular folks sit back and accept it
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:56 pm
How about factory engraving mule blades with: "Flippers can go straight to H3LL" or something? That wouldn't bother anyone the but flippers, am I right?
At first I thought this was the perfect counter-action ! But then I remembered that it's "us" buying to flippers. I personally do not, but someone does.