Magnacut Mule Box Date Codes: KU & LU

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Mystery Flavor

Magnacut Mule Box Date Codes: KU & LU

Post by Mystery Flavor »

I noticed some magnacut mule box's date code is KU and some are LU. Is there a chance there's a difference in hardness between the 2 months batches? If anyone is able to test the hardness maybe mention which date code yours is. Or maybe Sal can answer if any changes were made between KU and LU mule batches? I assume no, but thought it's worth asking for clarity.

Interesting that the LU date means they were made this month. Even though they went on sale on the 3rd. I wonder if any of them were made after the 3rd? :zany

I got KU on my order. Based on photos online I'm guessing almost everyone did?

Thanks for releasing these Spyderco! It was a super tense and aggravating 50+ minutes of not being allowed to place the order, but I'm glad I stuck with it long enough. Please improve the smoothness of your future releases when there is a large demand like this!

Side note: did anyone else request the catalog on the last step of the ordering and not get it? Even my receipt in the box shows I selected to get it. They must have run out?
Mushroom

Re: Magnacut Mule Box Date Codes: KU & LU

Post by Mushroom »

That is interesting that there were some labeled with the date code LU. I don't know if theres a difference between the two batches. (I doubt that there would be any amount of difference thats not already considered normal)

I just checked both of my Magnacut Mules and they are both labeled KU. One funny thing I noticed while checking was on my ZMax Mule, it was labeled with the date code FU. :grin-squint

Also, I did receive a catalog with mine Magnacut Mules.
-Nick :bug-red
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I will check codes on mine tomorrow. I have a bit of a walk to garage and we are having wind gusts over 50 mph . I got a catalog.
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Just checked mine, both KU. Bought at SFO.
Clanleslie

Post by Clanleslie »

Mine are KU also.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Clanleslie,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

The date on my two are KU, too.
Clanleslie

Post by Clanleslie »

Thanks,Sal it’s a pleasure to be here and learn about your knives.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

KU as well.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

KU here.

Oh no! Now we have a rare and highly sought after LU variant! I'm sure it's superior in every way.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

eBay is FLOODED with MC mules just now. Of the 19 that actually showed the box's date code, 18 were KU and one was LU.

(Must....buy....superior & rare...LU variant....at x3 cost...) :zany
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
BAMeiser

Post by BAMeiser »

KU on both for me. Whatever that means
Mystery Flavor

Post by Mystery Flavor »

A different way of asking my question is: The heat treating I assume is a very accurate process, but can they REALLY get identical results from a 2nd batch as the 1st? Is the tech used to do the heat treating that accurate/repeatable?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Here's another question or two for you to ponder. Does the date code on the box mean the instant they are completed or the month they went into the box? Do they heat treat in batches of 1000 (meaning this Mule was done in only 2 batches) or are they done in smaller batches ( meaning this Mule was actually done in a hundred batches)? Does every single piece in a given heat treat batch have the same exact hardness value, or can it vary a tenth of a point between pieces?
Mystery Flavor

Post by Mystery Flavor »

I get it, I'm probably just over-thinking all this. Who knows.... until we know? haha

Well if they feel like it I welcome Spyderco to answer any of those questions you raise, since they are the only one who knows.

I just thought it was worth bringing to everyone's attention that there's potentially 2 batches of this mule. Whatever that means in this case... Imagine if there was some weird oddity like the knife never dulled and it only happened with those ultra-rare LU ones. :discguised Dr. Larrin would surely be aroused by that and start putting on his Mr. Rogers uniform for sure.
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Just checked… to add to the mystery, these arrived on Thursday Dec 9 - and just checked - notified by email they shipped on Dec 4

Mystery Flavor

Post by Mystery Flavor »

At last, the long hidden LU-creature sticks its head out of the bushes and displays itself. :anxious

Who will be the first ebay seller to make up a crazy story about the uber rare LU variant? :exploding-head
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I'll update people when I get them. it has been in transit with USPS from Aurora to somewhere for 10 days :exhaling .

I hope I'll get the better one.... Because they must be totally different ! LU is a well respect snack brand here in France. That MUST mean something :beaming-face
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Sorry so late posting , both of mine are KU . I really don’t think there is anything to get excited about .MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

I got mine Monday and it's KU.