Random mule question for someone who may know

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Evil D

Random mule question for someone who may know

Post by Evil D »

Not even sure where to ask this but, this edge on the back side of the guard...do you guys think I could radius that edge down so it's not sharp without screwing up the fit inside the Spyderco sheath? Seems like the scales do most of the security, and seems like doing this might make the knife slide out of the sheath easier (not a goal). I've just noticed this will probably become a hot spot with hard use, since just squeezing the handle for 30 seconds creates a dent in my finger. My main issue is the handle is just barely too small for my hand so when I hammer fist grip it, my index finger pushes on the guard pretty hard.

20211214_093205.jpg
20211214_092720.jpg
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
standy99

Re: Random mule question for someone who may know

Post by standy99 »

Don’t think it would be a issue at all. As you mention the scales do most of the sheath you have retention.

There is a pic of this actually removed by someone IIRC

Myself I find the scales you have way too thin compared to made ones

Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Grind it off
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I've thought of doing the same, strictly for visual aesthetics. But I was also worried about sheath retention.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:42 am
I've thought of doing the same, strictly for visual aesthetics. But I was also worried about sheath retention.

Yeah I'll probably leave it alone because that edge seems to be a big part of what keeps the blade from slipping out easily, and I like to carry these handle down/tip up so retention is super important.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

D, my approach to index finger pressure on the mule is to re-radius the curve. I'm happy with the mod:
Attachments
Compare.JPG
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:34 am
Seems like the scales do most of the security...

Another approach would be to remove the metal, and then "re-melt" the kydex sheath around the new shape.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Yes, heating the kydex will let you adjust the fit, if it is even needed. You should be good to go with the mod.

Bolster's mod popped into my mind as soon as I read your post.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
rashman

Post by rashman »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:37 pm
D, my approach to index finger pressure on the mule is to re-radius the curve. I'm happy with the mod:
nice work!
current fav’s: K390 SS Stretch, PM2 CruWear Mircata, P.I.T.S., Subway Bowie
attila

Post by attila »

Evil D wrote:
Not even sure where to ask this but, this edge on the back side of the guard...do you guys think I could radius that edge down so it's not sharp without screwing up the fit inside the Spyderco sheath? Seems like the scales do most of the security, and seems like doing this might make the knife slide out of the sheath easier (not a goal). I've just noticed this will probably become a hot spot with hard use, since just squeezing the handle for 30 seconds creates a dent in my finger. My main issue is the handle is just barely too small for my hand so when I hammer fist grip it, my index finger pushes on the guard pretty hard.

20211214_093205.jpg20211214_092720.jpg
For the kydex type sheath, it shouldn’t affect fit.

If you’re talking about the leather sheath, grinding that off will only improve the fit, as the mule design doesn’t truly fit in the leather sheath.

I’m planning to grind that bit and a little bit from the hump above the hole on one of my Magnacut mules. I intend to post photos after testing in both types of sheaths.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
programmer1311

Post by programmer1311 »

Evil D wrote:

20211214_093205.jpg20211214_092720.jpg
Hello. Don't really worry, I don't think this is going to be a problem. :)
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Beyond that removing it would help cutting in some instances like on a cutting board.

But will removing it increase the chances on your hand/finger slipping for ward leading to cutting yourself?
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

standy99 wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:31 am
Don’t think it would be a issue at all. As you mention the scales do most of the sheath you have retention.

Your knife on the left, what size liner did you use, 1/32”? Do you recommend using them?
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:49 am
standy99 wrote:

Your knife on the left, what size liner did you use, 1/32”? Do you recommend using them?
0.5mm And yes they are good for just a light break up of colour.

These are 0.5 with 1mm centre

Here is another knife I just finished with all 1mm

WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

standy99 wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:18 am
WilliamMunny wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:49 am
standy99 wrote:

0.5mm And yes they are good for just a light break up of colour.

They look great. How is the glue up on those? Do you epoxy each layer at the same time or epoxy the liners then add the wood scales? I am guessing a lot of epoxy gets press out when you clap with all of the different layers, how do you deal with the extra epoxy?
standy99

Post by standy99 »

I epoxy scales then ie: liners to wood in one glue and press.. Then attach scales to knife.
Sand different directions between liners to get better glue up.
Once scales are epoxyed I sand them square again on a disk sander

Scales look like this when done (glow liner scales)

Micarta Mule

Best thing is wrap in grease proof paper after clamping leaving end open. Don’t have that much epoxy press out nowadays as have judged it more than early days.( I usually glue and clamp inside as don’t have a workshop )
standy99

Post by standy99 »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:38 pm

They look great. How is the glue up on those? Do you epoxy each layer at the same time or epoxy the liners then add the wood scales? I am guessing a lot of epoxy gets press out when you clap with all of the different layers, how do you deal with the extra epoxy?
Here is a step by step

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=90082