Sharpening Magnacut

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
cholla_remover

Re: Sharpening Magnacut

Post by cholla_remover »

Thanks to you both! I already ordered some 1 micron spray, but I'll pick up some 3 or 4 micron up now. Eager to see what kind of edge I can get.
99Dirk

Post by 99Dirk »

Manifestgtr wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:36 am
sal wrote: Hi Cholla_remover,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Indeed 👍
cholla_remover wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:40 pm

For now I'd like to keep it simple, not using too many steps.
Even 3 micron is totally sufficient if you’re looking to keep things simple. I often stop at 8 micron (my first strop) for carry knives. I like stepping down to .1 because it’s fun but it’s also completely unnecessary outside of fine woodwork, sharpening contests, etc.
👍 On the 8 micron. My current strops are setup for 5 micron start (four sided strop and 2 sided strop, are my go to) and finish at .1-.5. I'm making a new four sided strop to give me a 10 step progression. I have been using Jende Diamond paste vs spray - I prefer the paste as I can tell better visually when the strop is loaded evenly.

I am a woodworker, mainly woodturner, who uses cryo steels (gouges) and carbide tipped scrappers; and carving with vintage carbon steel sloyd knives.

For woodworking my goal is to strop to the .1-.5 micron and I do this several times while using a tool.

EDC pocket knives (all types), fixed blade field knives (1095, O1, A2, 3v, AEB-L, etc.), and my fixed blade hunting knives (Falkniven - 3g and CoS laminates) - these all vary from stropping on finished leather no compound to sub 1 micron. Each steel, bevel shape, and grind angle seem to perform better at varying degrees of stropping.

IMO, truth is as long as you have an apexed (sp) bevel (1000 grit or better) and are able to remove the wire burr with a couple quick strops (leather or soft wood, I use cork sometimes) you will get an edge that is sharp enough to slice telephone paper.
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

99Dirk wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:41 am

For woodworking my goal is to strop to the .1-.5 micron and I do this several times while using a tool.
Nothing beats that shiny, smooth finish you get off a highly polished chisel, plane, etc.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Crox

Post by Crox »

My mule has been on cardboard duty over the holidays. I somehow got a chip - thinking I hit a heavy staple in a heavy duty cardboard water heater box. I could see it from both sides and couldn’t feel that it rolled. Otherwise, it was also getting dull. I used leather strop a couple times during the cardboard massacre which did help.

So - time for second sharpening. I did same as previous post (diamond then shapton 330/1000/2000 then leather strop). I spent very little time on the diamond plate and I couldn’t locate the chip. Continued through the progression and it sharpened really nicely. I’m not sure how many people are using whetstones - I know there is sometimes concern they struggle. I’m having no issues and doesn’t feel like it takes any more time.

Back to shaving easily.
Attachments
EAA02785-5C27-40F0-9EE8-0261D51FA225.jpeg
99Dirk

Post by 99Dirk »

Just put in an order for a BBW (Belgian Blue Waterstone) not sure if it'll work well on these new steel alloys - but know it'll sharpen carbon steps like a champ.

I've been looking at Gritomatics universal grit chart, and starting to put together one of my own for the different stones and systems I have.

Anyone else trying natural stones? I decided to try them same time as my waterstones. But can't find a large (8-10") translucent Arkansas stone in stock anywhere.
sal

Post by sal »

I've used Arkansas stones a fair amount and the Belgium white water stones. They both work well, but are slower. Good for chilling time. Getting harder to find in larger sizes.

sal
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I just got a King 1000/6000 combo whetstone to start practicing with. I will need something courser but this should be okay to start. I read the King stones were a decent entry point without spending too much money.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:17 pm
I just got a King 1000/6000 combo whetstone to start practicing with. I will need something courser but this should be okay to start. I read the King stones were a decent entry point without spending too much money.
King Neo 800 is better, uses harder SiC abrasive.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
tomsch1963

Post by tomsch1963 »

I was lucky enough to score a Magnacut from a gracious forum member. Like always I just started with a touch-up on my Sharpmaker just to clean up the edge. I've used it over the holidays mainly on cardboard due to all the Christmas boxes. So far it is holding a working edge very well. I'm back to work this week but plan to reprofile on my water stones over the weekend to at least see how well this steel can do with a ~15dps edge.
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

mule10.PNG
I finally found a need to touch up the Mule on the Sharpmaker. It took a month of use both in the kitchen and cutting boxes. The edge held up very close to what I experienced with S30V. Sharpening was a breeze. It was very similar to sharpening LC200N. I barely needed more than a minute or two of time before getting it sharp enough to accidentally shave some arm skin off lol.
Just one more knife...
hijinxtx

Post by hijinxtx »

I too am a woodturner and work with some of the cryo and powder steel tools. The tool steels for woodturning tools seem pretty far behind the nice stuff we see in mules and production knives but they will make a good edge with a little work. I sharpen with CBN wheels for actual turning and use some stone wheels just for forming a tool shape. I use several carbide bit tools, usually scrapers, and sharpen the bits with a diamond brick that puts a real nice edge back on the carbide. I use a Trend diamond hone oil and it works well with the carbide. I have been a steel nut for a long time but never really got in to actually having mules to play with until the last couple of years. Have been having a blast with Spyderco since joining the mule team! Now I am making scales and wondering about the super sharpening I read you guys doing. I just use the sharpmaker and the diamond brick so am far behind but have a great EDC edge! I sharpmakered my magnacut for the first time and put better than original edge on it seems, with very little effort. Now more cutting things up!
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I only have two knives in LC200N, and neither is a mule. In my very limited experience LC200N was much easier for me to sharpen than the Magnacut but I’m also not a talented sharpener. The Magnacut wasn’t difficult, mind you, but I can chew through steel on the LC200N more quickly.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tomsch,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Hopefully the Native 5 Salt gets here soon so I can try some Magnacut.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:56 pm
Thinking the same about my Magna Mules. Still in Los Angeles according to tracking.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:31 am
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:56 pm
Thinking the same about my Magna Mules. Still in Los Angeles according to tracking.
I'm still waiting for my MagnaCut Mule from Los Angeles too:)
PBWilson

Post by PBWilson »

I haven't had the opportunity to sharpen my Magnacut Mule yet but plan to use my DMT diamond stones. I've got some double sided 6" long stones that fit perfectly in my Edge Pro.

Any recommendations for final grit and degrees per side? I often use up to 600 grit for my kitchen knives but have a 1200 grit diamond stone too. Can't go wrong with 17 degrees per side, but I wonder if the toughness and hardness being what they are, if it could easily handle 15 degrees.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I've been using 1000 grit for MagnaCut and pretty much everything else lately. Personally have been liking that edge, but edge preferences vary wildly. I don't really go for edges under 800 grit on anything. Would suggest starting with 17 degrees per side if that's what you're used to. That can always be changed later.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

PBWilson wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:05 pm
I haven't had the opportunity to sharpen my Magnacut Mule yet but plan to use my DMT diamond stones. I've got some double sided 6" long stones that fit perfectly in my Edge Pro.

Any recommendations for final grit and degrees per side? I often use up to 600 grit for my kitchen knives but have a 1200 grit diamond stone too. Can't go wrong with 17 degrees per side, but I wonder if the toughness and hardness being what they are, if it could easily handle 15 degrees.
I’ve actually been thinking about dropping one of my mules down to 12-15…see how it reacts. For the time being, though, ~17 has been working out pretty nicely.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch