Your Magna Cut Mule performance.

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Fireman

Re: Your Magna Cut Mule performance.

Post by Fireman »

sal wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:28 am
I'll be emailing with Gabe this weekend to try to get some tests on other steels and CBN.

sal
If Spyderco can optimize the edge finish to the steel, that would be industry leading for a large knife company. I bet a lot of people would pay extra to get a special performance edge specific to the steel. A custom shop job. People would be happy to send in their knives to get a new factory performance edge too.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

sal wrote:
I'll be emailing with Gabe this weekend to try to get some tests on other steels and CBN.

sal
In his latest videos, he discusses how not all stones seem to do the trick, and not all steels seem to benefit as much from the treatment.

Sure sounds like he's on a quest and I do applaud him. So much still to learn in both steel an sharpening. The edge is indeed a ghost.
bobartig

Post by bobartig »

Sounds like some kind of neat trick with styling the solution with the carbides into some kind of "super-edge", and that maybe it works better with high toughness steels because it's like a "micro-edge stability thing". Could be very interesting for other high-toughness steels like LC200N, AEB-L, Nitro-V. Would like to see some microscopy images of the edge when the "dual grit" edge has been achieved.

Home Slice also mentioned that the effect does not hold up after hard use, such as batonning the edge into a hardwood piano leg. I think for 99% of my use (e.g. cardboard), this could still be an interesting development for magnacut fans. I'm trying to become a magnacut fan, but I don't own enough blades in that steel yet.
msum

Post by msum »

sal wrote:

sal
As already alluded to, it would be very cool if this became an official collaboration. However, I’d be curious to see some testing with media other than sisal rope and I’d be curious as to further analysis from Todd at Science of Sharp - all of which becomes an increasingly costly endeavour.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I’ve been trying this dual grit edge trailing sharpening method on my Magnacut mule for about a month now and regardless of how long it will cut for (I still have to sharpen every second or third day, but that’s up from the end of pretty much every day of work) it is really swift to do. Maybe 15 mins to a shaving edge, 20 if I’m being really particular or fixing damage. If I’m doing a mirror edge in both sides with the traditional grit progression it takes upwards of 30 mins.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

Pete (Cedric & Ada) did some more corrosion testing on MC:

Current Collection
Chaparral (All Variants), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Sage 5 LW, Slysz Bowie, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx for the link Fireman. They did a nice job. Our labs testing is a bit more sophisticated, but we came to the same conclusion. Eric made the decision after extensive lab testing to make it a Salt.

Good job Larrin. Good job Eric.

I think I'd like to communicate with Cedric & Ada. Can any of you provide me with an email address for them?

sal
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I don't think he has a public email that can be found. I sent a message via instagram that he is active on.

I think Cedric and Ada are his dogs. His name is Pete.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:01 pm
Thanx for the link Fireman. They did a nice job. Our labs testing is a bit more sophisticated, but we came to the same conclusion. Eric made the decision after extensive lab testing to make it a Salt.

Good job Larrin. Good job Eric.

I think I'd like to communicate with Cedric & Ada. Can any of you provide me with an email address for them?

sal
I've searched on all his "socials" but didn't see any email address.
I've contacted him on instagram. If it goes through I'll make sure to relay his e-mail address to you.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
sal

Post by sal »

I've enjoyed many of Pete's tests and I think some direct communication might make some things easier for him.

sal
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I like his testing, mainly because it can be reproduced at home without too many gear. Plus, the guy is funny ! That's always a good sign when someone shows good spirit ;)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Pete did post a new video by the way :

The Home Slice

Post by The Home Slice »

JoviAl wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:16 pm
I’ve been trying this dual grit edge trailing sharpening method on my Magnacut mule for about a month now and regardless of how long it will cut for (I still have to sharpen every second or third day, but that’s up from the end of pretty much every day of work) it is really swift to do. Maybe 15 mins to a shaving edge, 20 if I’m being really particular or fixing damage. If I’m doing a mirror edge in both sides with the traditional grit progression it takes upwards of 30 mins.
Hey Al - I definitely echo your thoughts, when I am doing a dual grit edge it seems the edge takes less time. I am super glad to hear about your results.
-Gabe | The Home Slice (YouTube)

https://www.youtube.com/@homeslicesharpening
The Home Slice

Post by The Home Slice »

bobartig wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:02 pm
Sounds like some kind of neat trick with styling the solution with the carbides into some kind of "super-edge", and that maybe it works better with high toughness steels because it's like a "micro-edge stability thing". Could be very interesting for other high-toughness steels like LC200N, AEB-L, Nitro-V. Would like to see some microscopy images of the edge when the "dual grit" edge has been achieved.

Home Slice also mentioned that the effect does not hold up after hard use, such as batonning the edge into a hardwood piano leg. I think for 99% of my use (e.g. cardboard), this could still be an interesting development for magnacut fans. I'm trying to become a magnacut fan, but I don't own enough blades in that steel yet.
Hello this is Gabe. If you want to see some electron microscope images of dual grit, there are some in this article:
https://scienceofsharp.com/2021/06/15/d ... harpening/

I recently bought an HD 1000x optical scope as well, so once my editing load catches up to the present (probably a month or 2) there will be lots of images of dual grit edges under the 'scope.

Cheers,
-Gabe
-Gabe | The Home Slice (YouTube)

https://www.youtube.com/@homeslicesharpening
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I'm sure you'll be hearing this a lot, but welcome to the forum Gabe! Love your channel.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

The Home Slice wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:50 am
JoviAl wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:16 pm
Hey Al - I definitely echo your thoughts, when I am doing a dual grit edge it seems the edge takes less time. I am super glad to hear about your results.
Quick, sharp and durable - it’s like the holy trinity of knife sharpening 👍🏻
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Finding mine is keeping sharp and have no blemishes from plenty of wet encounters and kitchen duties. Finding it keeps its sharpness longer with a few swipes with a butchers steel. Have yet to do a full on sharpen as I have a magnetic knife strip with 7 mules :winking-tongue

Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Gabe,

Welcome to our forum. Glad to have you aboard. Hope you enjoy your time here.

sal
cholla_remover

Post by cholla_remover »

Good to see you here, Gabe! I got a Spyderco UF bench stone and plan to pick up a coarse grit diamond plate, inspired by your channel.