Your Magna Cut Mule performance.

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Ramonade

Re: Your Magna Cut Mule performance.

Post by Ramonade »

bleasure wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:06 am
Ramonade wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:08 am
Little question : was this month of kitchen duty on the factory edge or a first/second/third edge ?
It's a little buried, but I mentioned it's been with the factory edge. Was good and sharp out of the box, but I've been hard on it. Or, I should say I've treated it like I do any of my kitchen knives. I want to put a handle on it, so may wait to sharpen it, but I'll be curious to see any difference once I do.
Good thing to know, I'm looking forward to what a few sharpenings will do for edge retention : nothing or some improvement ?Knowing the edge retention as you reported it is already really nice.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I did some more cutting with the same mule i mentionned in the page before. It handled it like nobody's business as before but I managed to drop the knife on concrete. It fell on the edge (weird) and bounced in grass.
There was some force since it drop from pretty high (around 2,5 meters). Here's the damage

Keep in mind that this was still on the factory edge, not bad for that kind of impact. The pictures are not that nice but you can since 3 deformations. They all are rolls, you can see that the one on the left is pretty big relative to the picture.

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Impressive!
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:11 am

Keep in mind that this was still on the factory edge, not bad for that kind of impact. The pictures are not that nice but you can since 3 deformations. They all are rolls, you can see that the one on the left is pretty big relative to the picture.

Not too bad
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

looks like more of a deformation instead of a chip which I like better.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

That's what is interesting yes, even that kind of impact (can't tell the exact angle the apex hit the ground) did only lead to deformation. Well, a strop won't fix that but a quick sharpening will :bandage

Xayaza

Post by Xayaza »

Follow-up from the Magnacut vs. Dishwasher: Magnacut wins. No rusting at all and was just as sharp as when it went in (It's what I expected). Therefore, if it ends up in there, have no fear!
cholla_remover

Post by cholla_remover »

The only thing that has slowed my mule's edge down is carving eucalyptus wood, very dense and hard. Been waiting to maintain the edge until it would no longer scrape-shave. I expect stropping will do it. No tip damage, which I was a bit worried about trying to carve spoon bowls.
undajonc

Post by undajonc »

Update:

After reprofiling to about 15 dps and about a month and a half to 2 of use I noticed microchipping consistently down the length of the edge of my knife. I work in produce department at a local super market and sometimes make 300-500 cuts a day coupled with feathersticking when I get home. About every 3 days I lose my fine edge and touch up with a steel honing rod and get back to with paper thin scores of the vegetables in my department. Very nice smooth ceaseless cutting. To my surprise when I was finally able to examine my edge I noticed the microchips. I have since touched up with a diasharp diamond stone to a point where almost all of the microchips are gone. I also stopped a couple hundred passes per side and now am back to slicing very smooth.

Corrosion resistance wise magnacut has seemingly held up excellently. The vegetables I have prepped are mostly wet. I complete my task, wipe my blade on my pants and put my knife back in my boltaron sheath and move on. Maybe I should spend more time making sure my knife is dry? After the prolonged period of procrastinating service to my knife I notice light surface rust stains that were easily eradicated by 2000 grit sand paper. Pretty damned good IMO considering my "neglect of service" to my knife.

I am curious if the microchipping will diminish by the 3rd or 4th sharpening. Hopefully so. I also wonder if the microchipping is more prevalent because I reprofiled to a more acute edge and possibly compromised edge stability in doing so? Only time will tell I guess. In the meantime I will pay attentention as to being able to post again for part 3 making this a long term review.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Its nice to know, tips often do not like being forced into wood !
Before sharpening the roll of my Mule out, I did some stupid prying in a 2by4 just to see.
It went through ot with no problem, even if i stuck the knife an 3/4" deep before.

I have 2, thats why I use one in weird situations while the other awaits for its handle before being put to my normal use. Prying and all is not something I usually do, but all the talk about MagnaCut got me intrigued.

FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

I got my Magnacut out for another campfire on the beach and did my usual chopping, splitting, and feathersticking.

My 6 YO daughter said it cuts nice and even though it is a bit big for her hand she did a good job slicing up some cedar.

Nothing too serious but it is sure holding up well now that I have sharpened past the factory edge.
20220305_155933.jpg
20220305_163608.jpg
20220305_145129.jpg
20220305_163414.jpg
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

undajonc wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:56 pm
Corrosion resistance wise magnacut has seemingly held up excellently. The vegetables I have prepped are mostly wet. I complete my task, wipe my blade on my pants and put my knife back in my boltaron sheath and move on. Maybe I should spend more time making sure my knife is dry? After the prolonged period of procrastinating service to my knife I notice light surface rust stains that were easily eradicated by 2000 grit sand paper. Pretty damned good IMO considering my "neglect of service" to my knife.

I am curious if the microchipping will diminish by the 3rd or 4th sharpening. Hopefully so. I also wonder if the microchipping is more prevalent because I reprofiled to a more acute edge and possibly compromised edge stability in doing so? Only time will tell I guess. In the meantime I will pay attentention as to being able to post again for part 3 making this a long term review.
the findings in the latest few posts are really interesting - i love hearing it noticed the dishwasher about as much as a butter knife would. i'm shocked you got it to rust, you're the first i've heard of!

it's super interesting to see others experiencing similar chipping based on very similar uses to mine; i still haven't resharpened yet, but am also curious whether everyone will to experience similar rates of chipping/rolling after doing so.

i think it's holding up pretty well given how rough i/we have been, and the chipping/rolling is inevitable. what I really wish I could do is use my Z-Max mule in a similar way without worrying about it turning into a pile of orange goo, just to compare the chipping on two mules with high toughness and good edge retention vs. low toughness, extremely high retention/hardness. still, to no-one's surprise, it's no slouch as a ~rust-proof all-rounder
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Undajonc,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

undajonc wrote:
Update:
[...]
I'm curious too about the microchipping. A lot of steel tend to lose their edge that way over time (Maxamet, S110V, ZDP...), but I didn't expect it to happen to MagnaCut. Looking forward to what's coming next.
Mine got sharpened freehand with (approx.) the same angles as the factory edge, to get rid of the roll, it couldnt get straightened. I'll certainly equalize the angle on each side on the next sharpening.

Bolster

Post by Bolster »

undajonc wrote:
To my surprise when I was finally able to examine my edge I noticed the microchips.

Interesting report. Curious, though.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

After reprofiling to about 15 dps and about a month and a half to 2 of use I noticed microchipping consistently down the length of the edge of my knife. I work in produce department at a local super market and sometimes make 300-500 cuts a day coupled with feathersticking when I get home. About every 3 days I lose my fine edge and touch up with a steel honing rod and get back to with paper thin scores of the vegetables in my department. Very nice smooth ceaseless cutting. To my surprise when I was finally able to examine my edge I noticed the microchips. I have since touched up with a diasharp diamond stone to a point where almost all of the microchips are gone. I also stopped a couple hundred passes per side and now am back to slicing very smooth.
I stopped using honing rods and rounded sharpeners with very high carbide/high hardness steel because it is too easy to get fine damage to the blade. I strop with leather or flat garnet sandpaper instead and only do it very, very lightly. Regular lower carbide lower hardness steel is built for those touch ups like you describe but the real high hardness stuff is a completely different animal.

Ramonade, thanks for taking the time to take those images and posting them. Excellent photos !

Joe
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

FullScaler wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:07 pm
I got my Magnacut out for another campfire on the beach and did my usual chopping, splitting, and feathersticking.

My 6 YO daughter said it cuts nice and even though it is a bit big for her hand she did a good job slicing up some cedar.

Nothing too serious but it is sure holding up well now that I have sharpened past the factory edge.

20220305_155933.jpg

20220305_163608.jpg

20220305_145129.jpg

20220305_163414.jpg
That is such a cute shot of your daughter helping . Made my morning ! Thank you , MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:14 pm
I stopped using honing rods and rounded sharpeners with very high carbide/high hardness steel because it is too easy to get fine damage to the blade. I strop with leather or flat garnet sandpaper instead and only do it very, very lightly. Regular lower carbide lower hardness steel is built for those touch ups like you describe but the real high hardness stuff is a completely different animal.

Good to know...thank you!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I reprofiled the mule to 16 dps. It was starting with 18° and 22°, it took me 4 hours on the Work sharp PA 220 grit stone.
It was hella long ! I finished it at 600 grit dmt free hand, and it cuts paper towel just fine already.
I'll try to update both on what the edge will do and what it looks like (but I really need one of the loupe attachments for the smartphones...)

NCJohn62

Post by NCJohn62 »

Okay last report on kitchen use with the Mule, edge retention continues to be excellent, I did strop with 3um Gunny Juice at some point but I'm not sure if I really needed to or not in all honesty. Edge continues to cleanly cut newspaper after processing everything from root vegetables to soft meat. Cutting boards are both high density synthetic and wood. Zero patina.
I know this is supposed to be in the 62 HRC range, I can only imagine how good it would be from some of the makers who are taking it up to 63 or 64. I think I am done with using this in the kitchen and will finally get around to putting a handle on it 😁.