Not fun

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
mikey177

Re: Not fun

Post by mikey177 »

I have two Mules in other steels, so I didn't even bother staying up for this drop, which happened 12 midnight in our time zone. There are other makers that have knives coming out in this steel, and I have a pre-order with one of them. There will be more opportunities for people to try MagnaCut without having to undergo unneeded stress.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

mikey177 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:03 pm
...having to undergo unneeded stress.

Unneeded stress? I was able to skip my coffee this morning; angling for a Mule is better than caffeine! I've been wired all day!

:spiral-eyes
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:22 pm
funguy wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:43 am
I wont bother with any more mules if it's going to be like this.
Are you listening, Spyderco?
For the next Mule, instead of making 500, you'll only need to make 499.
LOL - hilarious Rusty...!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:50 pm
mikey177 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:03 pm
...having to undergo unneeded stress.

Unneeded stress? I was able to skip my coffee this morning; angling for a Mule is better than caffeine! I've been wired all day!

:spiral-eyes

LOL
KnifeKnuts
Location: Kitsap Peninsula, Puget Sound, Washington, USA, Earth

Post by KnifeKnuts »

An unpleasant experience buying MT35 Mule Team MagnaCut blades today. It took 53 minutes to complete the transaction. I was able to get 2 blades into my shopping cart by approximately 9:03 AM, using my gigabit per second internet connection. Trying to checkout for the remaining 50 minutes. I kept getting the following error message: Notice: Undefined index: message in /var/www/vhosts/spyderco.com/httpdocs/catalog/order3.php on line 386
I sure hope there is a solution for this problem, before the next Mule Team release. I have at least one or two of every Mule Team blade released to date, for a total of 51 Mules. I want to continue to buy all future Mule releases, but it seems to get more difficult with each release. My suggestion is to be able to subscribe to automatically be sent all future Mule releases and charged to a credit card on file at Spyderco.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

:hand-over-mouth I really want a pair of nuts as a lanyard charm for a knife now :') :') :')
I will have to incorporate a couple nuts in my next lanyard braid session.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:22 pm
funguy wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:43 am
I wont bother with any more mules if it's going to be like this.
Are you listening, Spyderco?
For the next Mule, instead of making 500, you'll only need to make 499.
But they made 2000 of this one.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

sethwm wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:32 pm
But when you do have traffic on your site for things like these mules or the seconds sale, my guess would be that that's probably the subset of your customer base that are truly fanatics.
Seth
I think you are mistaken. It isn't the fanatic Spyderco fans alone that do it, it's the people looking to make a quick buck flipping things for 3 times what they paid. They have no shame, no respect and no concern for others, and they don't care what they are flipping. Anything limited, so they can play on the fear of missing out, is what they want to snap up. As long as there are people who will pay double for something, the problem will persist. This drop was more pieces than any pre-Covid Sprint Run that I know of, yet it went in one mass shot, something that would have been totally unbelievable 5 years ago.

I do agree that a server upgrade is in order, though. I'll grant you that our internet speed isn't the greatest, but 67 time out errors was a bit hard to take.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:29 am
sethwm wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:32 pm
But when you do have traffic on your site for things like these mules or the seconds sale, my guess would be that that's probably the subset of your customer base that are truly fanatics.
Seth
I think you are mistaken. It isn't the fanatic Spyderco fans alone that do it, it's the people looking to make a quick buck flipping things for 3 times what they paid. They have no shame, no respect and no concern for others, and they don't care what they are flipping. Anything limited, so they can play on the fear of missing out, is what they want to snap up. As long as there are people who will pay double for something, the problem will persist. This drop was more pieces than any pre-Covid Sprint Run that I know of, yet it went in one mass shot, something that would have been totally unbelievable 5 years ago.

I do agree that a server upgrade is in order, though. I'll grant you that our internet speed isn't the greatest, but 67 time out errors was a bit hard to take.
Yeah that’s fair. I wonder if the right way to do this to combat the flippers would have looked something like:

Break the 2000 pieces into four groups of 500 starting at a really high price like $300.

Sell the first group of 500 for $300 for a day. On day two sell the second group of 500 plus any leftovers from the first group for $200. On the third day sell the third group plus previous leftovers for $100. On the fourth day sell all the remaining for $75.

As long as the first day is higher than what people would ever pay a flipper, I think you end up actually taking the flippers out of the equation. Because if the flippers try to buy it for $75 on the last day and jack up the price, well wouldn’t those customers just have bought from spyderco directly on a previous day?

Spyderco could even make it fun… like the previous days jacked up profits go to charity or something.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Only 20+? I didn't finally get through until I hit the one hour mark.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
LakeOconee

Post by LakeOconee »

quoting sethwm:

"Sell the first group of 500 for $300 for a day. On day two sell the second group of 500 plus any leftovers from the first group for $200. On the third day sell the third group plus previous leftovers for $100. On the fourth day sell all the remaining for $75."

Wouldn't people just wait for the fourth day?
:bug-red-white MNOSD Member #0037
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

LakeOconee wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:55 pm
quoting sethwm:

"Sell the first group of 500 for $300 for a day. On day two sell the second group of 500 plus any leftovers from the first group for $200. On the third day sell the third group plus previous leftovers for $100. On the fourth day sell all the remaining for $75."

No the people who would be willing to pay more to be certain to get one would get it earlier, and hopefully this makes it unattractive for flippers to later put them up on eBay for a higher price. Their potential customers would have already made their purchase
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

sethwm wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:12 pm
LakeOconee wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:55 pm
quoting sethwm:

No the people who would be willing to pay more to be certain to get one would get it earlier, and hopefully this makes it unattractive for flippers to later put them up on eBay for a higher price. Their potential customers would have already made their purchase
Of course, I’m making all this up. Sounds fun though.
sal

Post by sal »

At this time we've not found a solution due to all of the variables. We're ordering higher amounts of steel for future Mule Teams as part of a fix, but even this is challenging because it's really not possible to guess what steels will be in high demand two years from now. Larrin's steel got a lot of promotion from Larrin for some time before we were able to get some, and we ordered heavy, and it seems like it still wasn't enough.

But remember, Larrin had a vested interest in his creation. When we order from foundries, they have no passion for the material itself, they're just selling steel. Will the next Mule have enough, or too many? I'd be happy with a few too many over not enough.

sal
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

With so many different steels offered in the past for the Mule Team project you end up with fewer and more esoteric steels to offer. Unless you offer old Mules a new lease on life. Many Mules were offered many years ago and it would be great to offer them to more users. I think all of these would be good candidates for a redux:

• CPM-M4
  • CPM-S45VN
  • CPM-S30V
  • CPM-20CV
  • CPM-CRU-WEAR
  • VG-10
  • N690
  • M390
  • K390
  • H1
  • LC200N
  • CTS-BD1N
  • CTS-XHP
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ramzar,

I agree. Certainly there are some that would enjoy reaching more folks.

sal
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

My funds are limited but if I had the cash available I'd buy

CPM-S45VN
CPM-20CV
M390
K390
CTS-XHP
S90V
4V
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

If any Mule comes back (just not all at once, like, one every two months), I'll surely buy it ! I'm really invested in this project now and I want as many different Mule N° as I can to compare them.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Really been a bumper period lately since the reboot.

SPY27 mule #28

Zmax mule #29

Zwear mule #30

S45VN mule #31

Magnacut Mule #35
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
99Dirk

Post by 99Dirk »

RamZar wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:57 pm
... Many Mules were offered many years ago and it would be great to offer them to more users...:
  • CPM-M4
  • CPM-S45VN
  • CPM-S30V
  • CPM-20CV
  • CPM-CRU-WEAR
  • VG-10
  • N690
  • M390
  • K390
  • H1
  • LC200N
  • CTS-BD1N
  • CTS-XHP
Yes, Yes, Yes.... 100%

As a dabbler in the study of metallurgy cutting properties of steels; currently focused on unsymmetrical grinds and microscopic (serrations on one side the edge).

I would love to get my hands on several previous releases. Any thoughts on releasing a set, 3-6 of your previous runs?

D.