*Shipping to Australia & New Zealand Suspended*

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
TazKristi

*Shipping to Australia & New Zealand Suspended*

Post by TazKristi »

Hey, everyone:
Please be aware that effective immediately, we are temporarily unable to ship consumer orders to Australia and New Zealand. This restriction is due to suspensions imposed by USPS, Australia Post, and New Zealand Post due to COVID-19. Shipments to Australia and New Zealand are being refused and returned.

We have spent considerable time researching alternative shipping options, but due to increased rates, we haven't been able to find a viable solution. The rates we're seeing are double or triple what they've been in the past. In nearly all cases, it would cost more to ship a product than the product itself.

I am posting this as a global announcement because it affects all orders, but the immediate concern is orders for the upcoming CPM MagnaCut Mule Team.

Orders with shipping addresses in Australia and New Zealand will no longer be accepted through Spyderco.com. I know that many of our international customers utilize freight forwarding services that provide a U.S. address. My hope in posting is that others will share their experiences with these services and provide recommendations for our customers in Australia and New Zealand. Because of how these services function, they are able to utilize carriers that are still able to get packages into these countries.

As you know, we limit Mule Team purchases, but those limits will NOT be imposed based on shipping addresses. So, if you are able to arrange to ship to a trusted friend's address outside of Australia and New Zealand, please make those arrangements now.

We will continue to monitor the situation and will make changes as restrictions are lifted. In the meantime, we are open to suggestions. Please visit, https://about.usps.com/newsroom/service ... elcome.htm as well as the Australia Post and New Zealand Post websites for more information.

Unfortunately, these restrictions are beyond our control, but just the same, we apologize for the inconvenience and frustration. Thanks much for your understanding.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Wartstein

Re: *Shipping to Australia & New Zealand Suspended*

Post by Wartstein »

TazKristi wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:39 am
Orders with shipping addresses in Australia and New Zealand will no longer be accepted through Spyderco.com. I know that many of our international customers utilize freight forwarding services that provide a U.S. address. My hope in posting is that others will share their experiences with these services and provide recommendations for our customers in Australia and New Zealand. Because of how these services function, they are able to utilize carriers that are still able to get packages into these countries.
I am not from NZ or Australia, but from Europe.
But I did use such forwarding services.
Unfortunately, they seem to more and more not send pocket knives (weapons! :grimace ) anymore - still (also large) kitchen knives (tools! :woozy ) though...

Anyway, hope there´ll be good solutions for Aussies and New Zealanders!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Can anyone help a brother out before Friday :'(
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

standy99 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:40 am
Can anyone help a brother out before Friday :'(
I'll try to get one for you if you can cover shipping costs!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Knivesofaspyder

Post by Knivesofaspyder »

I plan on ordering 2 for myself but am available to forward to Australia. Send me a PM if you need some help (located in Canada) and we can arrange something.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

TazKristi wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:39 am

Kristi
This post at Stamps.com lists a workaround service (GlobalPost International Standard) that might work for Spyderco. https://blog.stamps.com/2021/09/02/usps ... australia/
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I am willing to have a mule team knife or two shipped to my place. Or I can pick them up in person from Spyderco (I live minutes away).

However, I would likely need to hold them until shipping opens up again, unless there is an easy and cost effective means to get the product to Australia or NZ. Note that you will need to cover the shipping costs.

I have 140+ positive feedback on another forum and can provide references if necessary.
Last edited by Rinzler on Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Quoted instead of edited
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Hi Kristi, thanks for the heads up!
I have previously used YouShop, the New Zealand Post Office's forwarding service, but recently their shippers are refusing to transport knives. I had an email back and forth with one of their rep’s about this as you can imagine …
It seems there is nothing YouShop can/is willing to do, unfortunately.
It’s a shame as this was the one Mule I ‘NEEDED’ ;)
Well I suppose it’s better to find out now rather than finding out in two weeks when it gets refused at the border.
Thanks again, for keeping us informed.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Donojhall

Post by Donojhall »

UPS $40.40 US to NZ. Just received a Ferrum Forge Lackey XL directly from Ferrum Forge.

It took about 3 weeks and tracking dropped off after it was handed off to a rural post “onward” depot in Hamilton, but I received it with no issues.

So, a single knife shipped via UPS shouldn’t cost more than $40.40 straight from Spyderco. Yes, that is more expensive than USPS flat rate box,
but I’m old enough to remember shipping and handle fees pre-Amazon! So, $40 for international isn’t that bad.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Hi Kristy,

Thanks for the update. Does this apply to hardcopy 2022 catalogues too?
CPM-Greg

Post by CPM-Greg »

I am receiving knives throughout the pandemic using FedEx and I pay customs on shipments over $1000 AUD (Brad Zinker - 2022, and a Rask - 2021).

Cheers

CPM-Greg
Thinking about which Taichung blade to get next.......
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Was just in the US and had to send a parcel to a friend in Canada.
The USPS charge to Canada was $29 for a watch strap that fitted in a letter satchel.

Small parcel to Australia was $89. So I can see why Spyderco has stopped the service until flights are back to normal.

Knowing that half of every passenger planes cargo is mail and parcels besides passengers baggage (air cans underneath the plane)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
CPM-Greg

Post by CPM-Greg »

standy99 wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:51 pm
Was just in the US and had to send a parcel to a friend in Canada.
The USPS charge to Canada was $29 for a watch strap that fitted in a letter satchel.

Small parcel to Australia was $89. So I can see why Spyderco has stopped the service until flights are back to normal.

Knowing that half of every passenger planes cargo is mail and parcels besides passengers baggage (air cans underneath the plane)
LOL. It's pretty ironic that the knife community might be getting "gouged" by the transport industry! :zany

Cheer, CPM-Greg
Thinking about which Taichung blade to get next.......
NorWest_05

Post by NorWest_05 »

Shipping almost anything to NZ has been expensive enough, And I have been finding most things to do with "tactical" knives, hunting knives, also stuff like rifle scopes and optics, and other parts require import permit. Seems like anything to do with "weapons". Some of these things you can buy in the country anyway, they are just expensive. Thought id mention to anyone else in NZ

Cheers for keeping us all informed
Sting

Post by Sting »

Hi all, a msg for the kiwis:

If you can't import, who would your local retailer of choice be here in NZ for Spyderco knives?

Thier website doesn't have any information on authorized retailers or distributors for the New Zealand market, and with some fakes getting around, I'm hoping our retailers are legit.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

My only question is, "What did Bloke do that Spyderco won't ship down there, anymore?"

:grin-squint
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

How long will this restriction last? COVID is at relatively low levels, currently.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Both legit...

Top Gear sell Spydies

https://www.top-gear.co.nz/results.html?q=spyderco

And Blademaster...

https://www.blademaster.co.nz/
bluntcut

Post by bluntcut »

Effective Friday, June 3rd, 2022, the Postal Service™ will resume acceptance of the following services destined to Australia.
Priority Mail International (PMI)
Airmail M-bags
International Priority Airmail (IPA) M-bags
International Surface Air Lift (ISAL) M-bags