MT35P - CPM MagnaCut Mule Team - Release Date

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
elduderino04

Re: MT35P - CPM MagnaCut Mule Team - Release Date

Post by elduderino04 »

elmeringalo wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:36 am
:bug-red-white I still think that something should be done to avoid this situation. But at least this time I didn't lose it
I mean, even just partnering with a few retailers who actually have competent websites that can handle an increase in traffic. Have the retailer handle the ordering, but have it drop ship from Spyderco.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

10:39 and they are all gone now apparently unless some orders fall through and they put more back up.

My big worry through this whole process was knowing at what stage I might get told that they were sold out. I had success "adding to my cart" at 9:02 or so, but at 9:39 I was entering credit card information and wondering if I would submit that and be told they were out of stock. It isn't clear at what stage you "have dibs" on your two blades. It did all go through for me, but wow -- I hadn't quite expected this sort of experience. Not that I am complaining mind you. If everything was easy, we would take everything for granted.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

A faster server would mean they would've just sold out faster and then people would be mad about that and it would be "why can't you just make enough for demand". This is just how it works with limited production and high demand. I see almost word for word the same comments every time a Dixxon flannel drops.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Last edited by sethwm on Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:11 am
kadinh wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:09 am
2021-12-03 11_09_06-Mugatu So Hot Right Now Meme Generator - Imgflip.png
Omg genuinely laughing at this one 😂
Glad someone liked it :smiling-cheeks I thought it was funny. I feel like the posts I make that I feel are funny aren't funny to the majority here.
You should never have to ask yourself "do i really need another knife?" The answer is obvious...
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:45 am
A faster server would mean they would've just sold out faster and then people would be mad about that and it would be "why can't you just make enough for demand". This is just how it works with limited production and high demand. I see almost word for word the same comments every time a Dixxon flannel drops.
I strongly disagree. You're right, some people might be unjustifiably salty if they sell out faster. But they wouldn't have wasted over an hour dealing with an incompetent server, trying to add to the cart, trying to sign in, trying to enter payment, all for nothing. There's absolutely no way this process is better than a website that actually works, and the drop selling out in 5/10/15 mins.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Evil D wrote:
I'd rather have been disappointed after 5 minutes than 90 minutes.

And no, this is not just how limited production works. The website literally returned ungraceful php errors for undefined values under load. If your wheels fell off your truck on the highway would you say "that's just what happens when there's a lot of traffic"?

Let's not normalize bad infrastructure.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

elduderino04 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:41 am
elmeringalo wrote:
:bug-red-white I still think that something should be done to avoid this situation. But at least this time I didn't lose it
I mean, even just partnering with a few retailers who actually have competent websites that can handle an increase in traffic. Have the retailer handle the ordering, but have it drop ship from Spyderco.
This might be the best solution for them.
If their regular traffic is 1/1000th of these occasional drops, it might not make economic sense to pay for that kind of capacity 24/7, year round.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Slept in a little later this morning, so it was 9:30 before I sat down at my desk and saw the reminder for the sale. Shucks. Too late. But what the heck? I gave it a shot.

I patiently waited for the page to load, and click click click on over to Mules. Whadaya know... I was able to add one. Since I was feeling lucky, I muddled through slow loading and connection failures so I could add a sheath. Success! But the race was only half over. I still had to check out.

Checking out took just as long, with slow loading and connection failures. Finally, I added my credit card... waited... and it came back with a message that it only takes Visa. Darn!

I would have quit, as I had an appointment, and I don't care THAT much about the new Mule. But I was on a hunt and the prey was in sight. So I went through the process again, and FINALLY got the order confirmation. It took half an hour, start to finish.

It wasn't as easy as ordering a Kershaw off Amazon, for sure. Was it a little inconvenient? Yeah, but it took less time than it took the Golden Locals to get in their cars and drive to the Mothership. And I didn't even have to get dressed.

To make the process easier, I suspect Sal would have to throw down a tall stack of cash for better computers and internet connections. Would it be worth it for an event that happens once a year and lasts for an hour? I don't know, but I prefer the slow online ordering to the "in person" seconds sale.
Last edited by RustyIron on Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Wow, what a ride. Order processed after 1 hour 20 minutes of effort. Persistence paid off.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

EVERYONE knew this would happen, so I'm honestly surprised by all the pissing and moaning and all the new threads popping up about it. Has to be pretty disappointing for Sal and the crew. They do amazing things, but it never seems good enough. Glad I had no interest in this **** show!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

aicolainen wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:50 am

If their regular traffic is 1/1000th of these occasional drops, it might not make economic sense to pay for that kind of capacity 24/7, year round.
Agreed. Heck, increase the price of these direct-from-Spyderco drops by 5 bucks or so to compensate the retailers. I imagine at least some would be willing to handle the ordering, if for no other reason than the increased visibility. I know I'd be happy to pay 5-10 dollars more to avoid this sisyphean exercise in frustration.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

elduderino04 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:48 am
Evil D wrote:
I strongly disagree. You're right, some people might be unjustifiably salty if they sell out faster. But they wouldn't have wasted over an hour dealing with an incompetent server, trying to add to the cart, trying to sign in, trying to enter payment, all for nothing. There's absolutely no way this process is better than a website that actually works, and the drop selling out in 5/10/15 mins.

100% agree on the wasted time part, at least that would be less of an issue.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:50 am

It wasn't as easy as ordering a Kershaw off Amazon, for sure. Was it a little inconvenient? Yeah, but it took less time than it took the Golden Locals to get in their cars and drive to the Mothership. And I didn't even have to get dressed.
I did the same thing for 90 minutes straight and couldn't get through, and they caused my cc to get frauded because there were 37 $0 authorization requests made. So I had to spend 20 minutes on the phone with them.

You're making it sound like "some good ole fayshunned patience and a little elbow grease is all you need". The infrastructure failed. You got lucky. I'm happy you did, I'm just annoyed I wasted my morning.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

kadinh wrote:

Glad someone liked it :smiling-cheeks I thought it was funny. I feel like the posts I make that I feel are funny aren't funny to the majority here.

Join the crowd of unappreciated comedians. This is the least amused audience ever. Dunno why everyone is so serious on the Spyderco forums but they are...we are very literal, very un-amused people.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Is there a negative correlation between post count and number of complaints?
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

elmeringalo wrote:
You're right. And this is 100% the point of cloud services like AWS, Azure, and GCP. You can run at 1/1000 the scale for 364 days a year, scale up within minutes to 1000x the scale, handle your burst, then scale back down again without having to carry around the infrastructure. This is literally why it's so easy today in 2021 not to have issues like this.
Last edited by sethwm on Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
z1r

Post by z1r »

I think we have to remember that Spyderco is first and foremost a manufacturer. While they have a retail site, I would imagine that it generates a relatively small amount of orders especially considering everything is listed at MSRP. Good for their distributors and retailers. Sending the Mules to a retailer to sell through their site would add additional costs to the MT and so would investing in a "better" website. Both of which I think are contrary to the Mule Team concept.

I missed out on the Z-Wear MT, so I understand the frustration, but didn't let that dissuade me from trying for this one.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:52 am
EVERYONE knew this would happen, so I'm honestly surprised by all the pissing and moaning and all the new threads popping up about it. Has to be pretty disappointing for Sal and the crew. They do amazing things, but it never seems good enough. Glad I had no interest in this **** show!
Rather this than give google/amazon/big business more money...
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
z1r

Post by z1r »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:52 am
Agreed. The simplest thing for Spyderco to do would be to raise prices through the roof. Glad they don't do that and, while I hate missing out from time to time, a faster website would just mean they sell out that much quicker. When I do get lucky and score, I feel sorta like I've one the lottery.