MT35P - CPM MagnaCut Mule Team - Release Date

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Crox

Re: MT35P - CPM MagnaCut Mule Team - Release Date

Post by Crox »

Curious if anyone from Spyderco can share any unofficial thoughts since they have worked with it to this extent. Is the hype real? How was it to work with?
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

I think Sal has commented that magnacut is “really something special”
You should never have to ask yourself "do i really need another knife?" The answer is obvious...
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Count me in for 2. Getting closer to winter project time!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Crox wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:34 pm
Curious if anyone from Spyderco can share any unofficial thoughts since they have worked with it to this extent. Is the hype real? How was it to work with?

It'll probably depend a lot on the heat treat that Spyderco uses but the other makers I've seen who've already made knives with it seem to really like it. There are still lots of steels that will hold an edge longer or that are tougher, and I'm sure it's inevitable that people are going to come back complaining that MagnaCut doesn't hold an edge longer than _______ steel, so maybe it's wise for everyone to stay grounded a bit and keep in mind that this steel isn't about being the best at any one thing, it's about pushing up as many of the positives as possible without also pushing up the negatives. Instead of saying it's "the best steel" , I think a better phrase might be to say it's "the best average steel" and while some may think that sounds boring or whatever, it's kind of a big deal. It's easier to find a steel that'll do one thing really well but also suck at something else, like how Maxamet holds an edge at the cost of toughness or how S7 is plenty tough but will dull long before Maxamet. I'm sure many people will still prefer those steels that do their favorite thing better than others, it just depends on your preferences and what you prioritize. Unfortunately I bet a lot of people who only care about edge retention will probably call it hype.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:53 am
Crox wrote:

It'll probably depend a lot on the heat treat that Spyderco uses but the other makers I've seen who've already made knives with it seem to really like it. There are still lots of steels that will hold an edge longer or that are tougher, and I'm sure it's inevitable that people are going to come back complaining that MagnaCut doesn't hold an edge longer than _______ steel, so maybe it's wise for everyone to stay grounded a bit and keep in mind that this steel isn't about being the best at any one thing, it's about pushing up as many of the positives as possible without also pushing up the negatives. Instead of saying it's "the best steel" , I think a better phrase might be to say it's "the best average steel" and while some may think that sounds boring or whatever, it's kind of a big deal. It's easier to find a steel that'll do one thing really well but also suck at something else, like how Maxamet holds an edge at the cost of toughness or how S7 is plenty tough but will dull long before Maxamet. I'm sure many people will still prefer those steels that do their favorite thing better than others, it just depends on your preferences and what you prioritize. Unfortunately I bet a lot of people who only care about edge retention will probably call it hype.
more for me! i'm a sucker for a great, balanced steel. although i tend to favor corrosion resistance, i'm one of the weirdos that's still happy with s30v, which is why i'm so excited about this one. that's kind of how i'm seeing this... incrementally better then s30v in every way.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Crox

Post by Crox »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:02 am
Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:53 am
Crox wrote:

more for me! i'm a sucker for a great, balanced steel. although i tend to favor corrosion resistance, i'm one of the weirdos that's still happy with s30v, which is why i'm so excited about this one. that's kind of how i'm seeing this... incrementally better then s30v in every way.
Same here. I’m happy to have that balance.

Sometimes ideas in the “lab” don’t scale to production. Just interested if there is some drawback outside of the three categories we focus on.
hijinxtx

Post by hijinxtx »

Thanks!! Happy Thanksgiving!
Mystery Flavor

Post by Mystery Flavor »

Intriguing! A question for anyone who has been ordering the last recent mules: has the website been working alright during ordering or is it crashing/not loading? That was happening last year during the online 2nds sale. It was so unbearably bad. It really turned me off to the idea of bothering with ordering on spyderco's site ever again. But I might try to get this mule.

Any insight to how the site handles the extra load during mule sales would be appreciated. Thanks!
kaira

Post by kaira »

I have a vpn problem.

First of all, there was a message about turning off the VPN even if you are not using a VPN program.

"User is switching their IP address. IP address recently engaged in suspicious behavior. We could not verify your information or something in your information has been found to be associated with fraud. Please try again. If you are using a VPN, try turning it off to try again or contact us."

So I connect with my mobile phone(LTE), such a message appears.

The release of mule team is a week away, what should I do?
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Oh man, one of the ones I really want, but release is right in the middle of a work meeting.
attila

Post by attila »

Gtscotty wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:57 am
Oh man, one of the ones I really want, but release is right in the middle of a work meeting.
Can you excuse yourself due to “digestive distress”? :winking-tongue
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Gtscotty wrote:
We'll have to order that fast ? I'm sure I'm gonna mess something up and miss it... :sad-but-relieved
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kaira,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

attila wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:25 am
Gtscotty wrote:
Can you excuse yourself due to “digestive distress”? :winking-tongue
I reckon I'll have to, my wife said she'll try to order one for me, but I'm not sure she understands the kind of scramble this will probably be. I kind of want to set up an account on the Spyderco site for her so that she can try to get one and if I get a chance to sneak out, I can log on to my account and try as well... I'm a bit concerned that Spyderco would cancel orders from two people at the same address, if both went though, even if the total ordered was under the limit. We'll see I guess.
Ramonade wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:15 pm
Gtscotty wrote:
We'll have to order that fast ? I'm sure I'm gonna mess something up and miss it... :sad-but-relieved
In my opinion, recent history would suggest, you only have to be fast on the draw and order right at 9.... If you actually want to get one. Who knows how many they made, the first post seems to suggest an increased number, but I still think this is going to be a bit of a circus with site crashing, lagging, and mules sold out in a few minutes.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Hopefully the MULE TEAM™ BLACK G-10 HANDLE SCALES KIT will be in stock by Friday, December 3, 2021!

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Alexander135

Post by Alexander135 »

Mystery Flavor wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:30 am
Intriguing! A question for anyone who has been ordering the last recent mules: has the website been working alright during ordering or is it crashing/not loading? That was happening last year during the online 2nds sale. It was so unbearably bad. It really turned me off to the idea of bothering with ordering on spyderco's site ever again. But I might try to get this mule.

Any insight to how the site handles the extra load during mule sales would be appreciated. Thanks!
I've been at 3/4 of the most recently released mules and it was the same as the 2nds sale. Expect the website to take a long time to load, say the item is out of stock instantly, next thing it's in stock, you checkout and as you are paying it's out of stock, etc. It will be a real scramble.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Sal mentioned a run of 2,000 for the MagnaCut MT so a much better chance of getting one since the prior 4 MTs were only about 500 each. So, hang in there and hang tough! Create your Spyderco account now and login 5 minutes before game time! :coffee
sal wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:49 pm
Hi William,

Things like; "How long"? "when"? "etc"? if it is not known, isn't spoken. Sorry.

The plan is for 2,000 pieces.

sal
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

kaira wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:27 am
I have a vpn problem.

First of all, there was a message about turning off the VPN even if you are not using a VPN program.

"User is switching their IP address. IP address recently engaged in suspicious behavior. We could not verify your information or something in your information has been found to be associated with fraud. Please try again. If you are using a VPN, try turning it off to try again or contact us."

I have the same error message last Z-wear Mule drop, and I'm not using a VPN. I've used the same ISP connection at home for the last Z-Max mule drop as well as the online seconds sale last year, so I'm wondering why I'm getting this error message. Definitely missed out on the Z-wear Mule drop due to this problem.

I've tried PM-ing Kristi about this several days ago, but I still have to receive a response. I hope Kristi can help sort this issue out.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

kaira wrote:
I have a vpn problem.

Have you tried from a normal hardwired desktop computer? If your cell phone signal is jumping towers or something it would appear to be switching ip addresses I bet. I would never recommend using cell phone service for these time sensitive purchases.
Edit: nerdlock gets it on a hardwired setup....hmmmmm odd. I still wouldn’t try via a cell phone connection though.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

troutinCO wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:57 am
kaira wrote:
I have a vpn problem.

Have you tried from a normal hardwired desktop computer? If your cell phone signal is jumping towers or something it would appear to be switching ip addresses I bet. I would never recommend using cell phone service for these time sensitive purchases.
Edit: nerdlock gets it on a hardwired setup....hmmmmm odd. I still wouldn’t try via a cell phone connection though.

It's not actually a "wired" connection per se - it's over WIFI at home since my Macbook doesn't have a LAN port for wired connectivity. Same ISP for several years already. But still, I did not encounter that problem with the previous two transactions with Spyderco.com, only during the latest Z-Wear Mule drop.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet