MT35P - CPM MagnaCut Mule Team - Release Date

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
WilliamMunny

Re: MT35P - CPM MagnaCut Mule Team - Release Date

Post by WilliamMunny »

Rp5 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:47 pm
FullScaler wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:05 pm
I've got my 2 on the way. I must say that it was a terrible user experience and completely frustrating for over an hour before it went through.

That said, I am also very glad and appreciative of Sal and all the gang at Spyderco to give us the opportunity to get our hands on this new steel so we can do some testing.
I know people struggled for an hour or so, but I got a pair after a very brief 15 minutes of refreshing. For me, that was entirely expected. Condolences to people who tried and couldn't get ahold of one.

More to the point - Agree with the appreciation of Sal and Spyderco for getting these out to the masses. I'll repeat - thank you very much for making so many of these at such a reasonable price. It may have been frustrating for many, but there's at least a thousand people out there excited to receive the hottest new steel in the industry. You could have hoarded your Magnacut supply and funneled them into higher margin products, but in my opinion you gave a gift to the community. Thank you.
Well put, I am sure these Mules are a lot of work with very little if any profit. **** at these prices and qualities it might be a loss. This is just a great way Sal and the team keep the customer involved and engaged with a great company.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Ranger000

Post by Ranger000 »

---but there's at least a thousand people out there excited to receive the hottest new steel in the industry.---

Info shows only 500 made. Should have been "limit 1 only".

And they are on Denver craigslist now selling for $225 !!

So, some people got more than "limit 2" in the Denver area.
attila

Post by attila »

Ranger000 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:57 am
---but there's at least a thousand people out there excited to receive the hottest new steel in the industry.---

Info shows only 500 made.
Sal told us more than once that they made 2000.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Busy day at work, no mule for me. :-(
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I went into this process very light heartedly, and my kids were actually asking what I was up to, cause I was repeatedly laughing of the slow speeds and timeouts.
In the end it’s a product I can live very well without, and I wasn’t even sure I would give it a try until a very capable enabler on this forum convinced me right before the drop.
If I got it, great. If not, fine.
With all that said, it was a little - and I really mean little, frustrating to see some users that apparently (from their own description) got on the site much later, was able to check out successfully way ahead of me.
It’s not something I want to complain about, and I’m happy for every well intentioned customer who were able to get one, but that’s really the only aspect of this process that I wasn’t instinctively able to laugh at.
It’s a hobby, and though I try to avoid limited production items and setting myself up for situations like this, I’ll happily repeat the process if Spyderco does another drop that appeals enough to me.
sgt1372

Post by sgt1372 »

I'm one of those who had to to suffer thru about 50 mins of frustration in order to get an order accepted for 2 Magnacut Mules yesterday. I've said enough about that in the Spyderco sub-forum in Blade Forums where I normally hang out.

The main reason I'm posting here is to ask: Does anyone know what HRC the MagnaCut Mule was forged at?

I asked Larrin and Sal in Blade Forums. Larrin said he didn't know and Sal said he was checking on it but hasn't answered yet. So, does anyone else happen to know the answer to this question?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

sgt1372 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:53 am
I'm one of those who had to to suffer thru about 50 mins of frustration in order to get an order accepted for 2 Magnacut Mules yesterday. I've said enough about that in the Spyderco sub-forum in Blade Forums where I normally hang out.

The main reason I'm posting here is to ask: Does anyone know what HRC the MagnaCut Mule was forged at?

I asked Larrin and Sal in Blade Forums. Larrin said he didn't know and Sal said he was checking on it but hasn't answered yet. So, does anyone else happen to know the answer to this question?
Be patient

I ordered a mule and went through the same thing, hasn't arrived yet of course so I won't know the hardness until it arrives to test and share to add my results to the batch average.

Btw, things aren't "forged" to hardness, I know what you mean, just helping ya out.

I'm speculating the hardness will be in the 60-64rc range. Don't know until its measured directly.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

So there were at least 10 on eBay yesterday, now only two. I feel so bad for people if they're really paying these insane inflated prices.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sgt1372

Post by sgt1372 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:42 am
Be patient

I ordered a mule and went through the same thing, hasn't arrived yet of course so I won't know the hardness until it arrives to test and share to add my results to the batch average.

Btw, things aren't "forged" to hardness, I know what you mean, just helping ya out.

I'm speculating the hardness will be in the 60-64rc range. Don't know until its measured directly.
Thanks for the response. I don't have an "urgent" need for the info but thought someone might already know.

Just curious.

Sal said he's looking into it and, if he finds out before you can test yours, I'll report back w/that info here.

Based on the following chart from Larrin's blog article about the development of MagnaCut, it's suggested that a hardness of about 62 based on a heat treat/temper of 2050/350F achieves the best balance between toughness and hardness.

So, I was just asking (in an imprecise way) what Spyderco chose to do.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tactikool, Mighty Q,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

attila wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:08 am
Ranger000 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:57 am

Info shows only 500 made.
Sal told us more than once that they made 2000.

On BF, Sal mentioned that 2,000 of the MagnaCut MT were produced.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/spy ... t-20873752
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Crox

Post by Crox »

Anyone receive shipping info ?

I haven’t, but also don’t expect it that fast.

I hate to say aloud here that my confirmation email came through at 9:06.

I often turn off images in the chrome settings and did so for this. I think that helped pages load since it was just getting the text.

Looking forward to breaking down game and sharing my experience.
sgt1372

Post by sgt1372 »

Crox wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:43 pm
Anyone receive shipping info ?
The weekend's not even over yet . . .

And, since they probably have around 1000 orders to process and since there could be "issues" in the credit card processing of some of those orders, I wouldn't expect any shipping info to be forthcoming for awhile.
Last edited by sgt1372 on Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I expect the MagnaCut Mule Team orders to ship on Monday and me receiving it on Wednesday. When I ordered the 2018 Spyderco ParaMilitary2 Forum Knife direct from Spyderco on Monday, October 15, 2018 at 12:24pm PT it shipped on Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 7:53am PT. That was about 700 produced with a price of $161.97 after the Forum discount.

Just a couple of business days away from CO to most of CA via UPS Ground.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
MightyQ

Post by MightyQ »

sal wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:27 pm
Hi Tactikool, Mighty Q,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thanks Sal!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, I put in an order for a sheath and scales on Thursday, and the shipping estimate has been rescheduled three times now, pushed up to today..
20211206_075940.jpg

However when you track the package it doesn't even say it has been shipped yet let alone out for delivery which you'd think it would be if it were arriving today.

Screenshot_20211206-075828_Chrome.jpg

And that's not even the mule package, unless someone at SFO caught that I have two different orders and decided to add them together or something.
~David
Crox

Post by Crox »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:02 am
Well, I put in an order for a sheath and scales on Thursday, and the shipping estimate has been rescheduled three times now, pushed up to today..

20211206_075940.jpg

However when you track the package it doesn't even say it has been shipped yet let alone out for delivery which you'd think it would be if it were arriving today.

Screenshot_20211206-075828_Chrome.jpg

And that's not even the mule package, unless someone at SFO caught that I have two different orders and decided to add them together or something.
COVID holidays shipping…..

Seems like I’ve had a few things just show up magically here recently.
archangel

Post by archangel »

If 2000 were produced, question still is how many were sold online and how many were/are reserved for SFO walk-in customers.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

archangel wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:26 am
If 2000 were produced, question still is how many were sold online and how many were/are reserved for SFO walk-in customers.

It didn't sound like there were 100 people in line, and if we assume they each only bought 2 (even though we've got accounts of groups of families buying 4 at a time) that's only 50 or even 100 if we estimate high, leaving another 1900 that went to online orders, and if we assume that every order got 2 knives (just for the sake of math, I'm sure many did but surely not all) that's 950 orders being shipped out, potentially more for all of the single knife orders. That's just for this drop and not counting all of their normal online sales, so their shipping department is getting it hard at the moment.
~David
Crox

Post by Crox »

FYI just received shipping confirmation.