MT35P - CPM MagnaCut Mule Team - Release Date

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Wandering_About

Re: MT35P - CPM MagnaCut Mule Team - Release Date

Post by Wandering_About »

Gotta keep in mind this was probably the most anticipated Spyderco knife of the year, or darn close to it. Probably can't judge all Mule drops by this one.

My last (and only other) Mule was the original in 52100. Sent it off to an acquaintance who said he'd put a handle on it, but both the man and the knife disappeared forever. Have really not kept up with the Mule since then, although looking through the catalog there are a few I would have liked to have.

There have been some excellent memes through this process. Kudos to those who have been making them!
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I strongly suspect the flipper bots are causing all the issues. They can try over and over far faster than any human can hit refresh.

Also, I really want to post mine on eBay with $1.2 Billion* Buy It Now price. Then have a long and angry screed about flippers ruining every single thing as the description. But I won't.

*Maybe Elon, or Bill, or Jeff really want one?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:25 pm
Already one on eBay for $225, and it has to be someone who bought one in person because they have pics of it.

*Ships from Littleton Colorado.
One household got 4 total ahead of me in the line. The wife buying them didn't look enthused about being there.
bjz

Post by bjz »

troutinCO wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:04 pm
Evil D wrote:
Already one on eBay for $225, and it has to be someone who bought one in person because they have pics of it.

One household got 4 total ahead of me in the line. The wife buying them didn't look enthused about being there.
So glad I’m not participating in this! I have enough to be worried about here at work…
timlara

Post by timlara »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:54 pm
I strongly suspect the flipper bots are causing all the issues. They can try over and over far faster than any human can hit refresh.
Exactly. I guarantee you that's the root cause of problems on most of these types of drops. It's a cat-and-mouse game between the people making the bots and the various e-commerce shopping cart systems that retailers use. I suspect a company like Spyderco has limited resources to spend on keeping up with the latest and greatest bot mitigation technologies, especially since it's not a very good investment for them as the bot people will just come up with new tricks next week.

(Someone like a sports betting company, on the other hand, would have a huge incentive to spend tons of money making sure that their systems are able to handle attacks during big events...even still, those kind of events sometimes get hit, too.)
Tim
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

In all my trying it looks like I placed two orders.

1. 2 Mules, 1 Sheath - No confirmation or email but CC got charged.

2. 2 Mules - Got confirmation and email. CC charged.

Called the store and was told if two orders are going to the same address they would cancel one so I should not worry. Gave my name and information just in case. He said it’s happened a few times. Makes sense it could happen with the load on the server, sale goes through but times out before it sends the email and confirmation page.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:02 pm
Now I wonder...After all this and people that scored after an hour or two of trying...how many will actually provide some feedback on use and sharpening in the Mule Team subforum?? I'll put money on less than a handful :disappointed
i plan on using mine as a regular fixed blade. unfortunately, i don't have time for a ton of testing and use, but i will absolutely use it an give my opinion for what it's worth. sadly, i've never been able to snag a mule before, so i can't make a completely accurate comparison, but i suspect it will still be interesting to see how it handles. if it's as good as i'm thinking it will be, i really hope to see a g10 manix in the near future.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

troutinCO wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I saw that too…
z1r

Post by z1r »

Rinzler wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:40 pm
troutinCO wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I saw that too…
Yeah, they were in line right behind me. The baby sure wasn't happy about being there.
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

JRinFL wrote:

Also, I really want to post mine on eBay with $1.2 Billion* Buy It Now price. Then have a long and angry screed about flippers ruining every single thing as the description. But I won't.
These people LIKE dog eat dog and your anger is music to their ears. At least, that's what they say when you confront them. I'm just glad not to live in their world or think like them.

I'm trying to think of a process Spyderco could use to foil them, preregistration, a lottery, a minimum timeout period between reloads, continuous monitoring and termination of access like you try to do with DDOS, marking each Mule Team with an individual serial number and then blacklisting everyone whose order turns up on eBay within a specified amount of time, naming and shaming on the forum... but the truth is, everything I think of that might actually work here would be incompatible with a purchase price of 75 bones.

Would I pay more for a process that's assured to be smoother? Probably, but I'll be damned if I want to be a part of the gentrification of the Mule Team project. A lot of folks would probably prefer a process like this if it kept the price where it is, over a smoother process that came with the sort of markup that'd be necessary to cover the cost but they'd find impossible to afford. As far as I'm concerned their access is more important than my convenience. I'm lucky already.

I'm sure if I hadn't managed to successfully purchase mine I'd be a lot less sanguine about everything right now. As it stands it was my first direct-from-Spyderco drop and I didn't know what to expect other than that it'd be a bit of a trial. It was deeply frustrating but if I'd understood that sticking with it for over an hour and 20 minutes would pay off, I'd probably just have set my jaw and went about it in silence. Without anything else to compare it to, my assumption was that it would go like many drops in other places where you'd be SOL if you couldn't get your order in in the first five minutes. When I called in I frankly expected no one to answer; instead someone actually got on and was like 'we know it's an issue, we're trying to fix it, in the meantime keep at it and your order will go through' and if I hadn't gotten that statement I probably would have abandoned the effort or slowed it down enough not to finally get one in the end. So while definitely not perfect, this process ended up being more satisfactory than a lot of businesses I know would have made it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

🥱

Screenshot_20211203-145238_eBay.jpg
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mk2rocco

Post by mk2rocco »

I had no idea how difficult it is to get a Mule. Was this release a particularly popular one? Took me one hour to finally make it to check out.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

troutinCO wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I saw that too…
Big_Tex

Post by Big_Tex »

I was able to get two along with two sets of scales.
I’m excited to put the Magnacut through its paces… will be beating on it for sure!
Bryan
Atlanta, GA
IG @BryanCBailey

Current pocket rotation:
Z-Wear/Micarta Shaman
Magnacut Native 5 LW
k390 Endela

:bug-red : 73 Spydies in the collection
Chleiti

Post by Chleiti »

You know you have good coworkers when somebody walks up to your desk with a (fairly important) question and is fully willing to accept "sorry, I'm trying to buy this knife that just dropped" as a reason why they're getting somewhat less than half your attention. He then asked what kind of knife it was, recognized the Spyderco brand, and was very excited when I told him about buying direct with the OpFocus discount.

Speaking of, the mules are already such a good price that I couldn't believe it when my cart loaded and the additional discount still applied. Extremely awesome of Spyderco to do that.
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

I haven't even pulled mine out yet to look at them. They are down in the truck waiting for me though. I bought 2, the last 2 mules I bought I only got 1 of that example.
I bought the second one of this mule with the idea that I want to do some "destructive" testing with one of them. You know just really abuse the heck out of it, for science and country. Its going to take some time for me to forget about the money on one of them before I get to doing that though.
The other knife will see normal use...
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I completely forgot.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Will Spyderco ship the MagnaCut orders today?

Just a couple of business days away from CO to CA via UPS Ground.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Chleiti

Post by Chleiti »

RamZar wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:33 pm
Will Spyderco ship the MagnaCut orders today?

Just a couple of business days away from CO to CA via UPS Ground.

Got to love that the entire state of Virginia appears to have fallen into its own inexplicable shipping black hole.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:43 pm
JRinFL wrote:

These people LIKE dog eat dog and your anger is music to their ears. At least, that's what they say when you confront them. I'm just glad not to live in their world or think like them.

I'm trying to think of a process Spyderco could use to foil them, preregistration, a lottery, a minimum timeout period between reloads, continuous monitoring and termination of access like you try to do with DDOS, marking each Mule Team with an individual serial number and then blacklisting everyone whose order turns up on eBay within a specified amount of time, naming and shaming on the forum... but the truth is, everything I think of that might actually work here would be incompatible with a purchase price of 75 bones.

Would I pay more for a process that's assured to be smoother? Probably, but I'll be damned if I want to be a part of the gentrification of the Mule Team project. A lot of folks would probably prefer a process like this if it kept the price where it is, over a smoother process that came with the sort of markup that'd be necessary to cover the cost but they'd find impossible to afford. As far as I'm concerned their access is more important than my convenience. I'm lucky already.

I'm sure if I hadn't managed to successfully purchase mine I'd be a lot less sanguine about everything right now. As it stands it was my first direct-from-Spyderco drop and I didn't know what to expect other than that it'd be a bit of a trial. It was deeply frustrating but if I'd understood that sticking with it for over an hour and 20 minutes would pay off, I'd probably just have set my jaw and went about it in silence. Without anything else to compare it to, my assumption was that it would go like many drops in other places where you'd be SOL if you couldn't get your order in in the first five minutes. When I called in I frankly expected no one to answer; instead someone actually got on and was like 'we know it's an issue, we're trying to fix it, in the meantime keep at it and your order will go through' and if I hadn't gotten that statement I probably would have abandoned the effort or slowed it down enough not to finally get one in the end. So while definitely not perfect, this process ended up being more satisfactory than a lot of businesses I know would have made it.
Well said!

I too have thought of ways to make the system better, but they all lead to price increases as you stated.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001