Best scale/sheath combo for EDC?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Evil D

Best scale/sheath combo for EDC?

Post by Evil D »

I'll be getting a MagnaCut mule one way or another so I'm already starting to think about carry options. If you've paid any attention to my Jumpmaster 2 thread, carrying a fixed blade has been a mix of awesome and aggravation so I need to put a lot of throught into this.

I guess the easiest solution may be the Mule Team scale kit and sheath that Spyderco sell? How securely does that combo snap together and how reliable is the sheath retention?

If not that combo, are there any other known sources for scale/sheath combos that work well together without going straight to a custom kydex sheath to match whatever scales I end up with?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
standy99

Re: Best scale/sheath combo for EDC?

Post by standy99 »

I find the Boltron sheath and scales work well and there is a good snap in and secure fit. I have some Cuscadi scales that also fit the sheath well.
Due to the size it can be carried scout quiet easily.

Haven’t tried the leather sheath as have a custom made leather and have so many different sized handles nowadays.

One thing to watch is the scales seem to wick water/moisture in so you have to take them off every now and then to check. (Did get around by placing a felt liner with food grade inox soaked between scales and steel.) But it was the reason I make all my handles fixed with pins and epoxy. So often I was surprised at how much rust was starting even though I didn’t expect it on some steels in such a short time.

For me in your shoes I would go all out and fit a handle and kydex if it is your first and such a steel you want to try and use a lot. (Save yourself spending money on the temporary stuff)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

Do you have access to make your own scales and sheath? My dad helped me with his equipment about 10 years ago to make these blue G10 handles with ivory (dont think its G10) insert and black spacers.
123.jpg
It's been one of my favorite handle designs. I don't think I've ever seen an exact match to it before.

Anyways, if you have the tools/machines/materials to make scales, leather or kydex sheath, I would say do it yourself so you can make it as simple or fancy as you want. If not, you'll save yourself a lot of headaches just buying something premade.
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

EDIT: I realize my post might not be too helpful; I didnt read your OP too well.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

kadinh wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:44 am
EDIT: I realize my post might not be too helpful; I didnt read your OP too well.

I've got basic hand tools, my only concern really is getting the holes drilled correctly. I don't have any experience with kydex but I've been wanting to get into that even before the mule idea. If I can get the materials and get the pins done correctly, what I definitely can do is shape the scales, I'm pretty good at that. I was just thinking about a quick fix to get the knife into my rotation before I do all this.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

IIRC, Halpern has some good scale options.

Kydex is really easy to work: heat it up, put your knife where you want the kydex to hold it, use a press (I built my own for cheap) to mold it, then wait for it to cool. If you mess up, just heat up the kydex again. Once you get it where you want it, just use a Dremel or something to cut away the excess.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Halpern makes good scales but are often out of stock. The G-10 is VERY grippy - quite secure, good for EDC, but not as great for say, a woods knife where you're making hard cuts for a long time. Mine came in 1/16th shy of the tang, so it's not exactly a custom job or anything, but they work well enough. I think I'd do Micarta in the future.

I had my leather sheath custom-made by a friend of mine to support canted scout carry. The stock leather sheath is very nice, but only available as right-handed drop carry.

I think the Mule Boltaron sheath + G-clip is very similar to other Spyderco fixed blades - no surprises, and a lot of carry options.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

I've shied away from the leather sheath just because I've heard they're moisture holding, which can increase the chance of rust in the knife. Obviously Magnacut is very corrosion-resistant, but that was why I went with the Bolt sheath - which was extra-retentive of the knife when I first got it (actually led to me not being able to pull it out of the sheath, which led to improper hand placement for more leverage, which led to me cutting myself.) That overly-retentive nature has loosened over time to appropriately-retentive, and the beltloop can be mounted different ways, so as kenneth said - scout or vertical carry. I think it's a really solid option, but custom sheaths are always cooler.