Magnacut Mule!!!

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Deadboxhero

Re: Magnacut Mule!!!

Post by Deadboxhero »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:42 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:50 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:39 pm
If that's the case, what is everyone drooling over this steel for?? Because of how stainless it is? That edge retention is shockingly low, considering the hype of this steel, being comparable to " plain old, boring, I don't like it, I'll never buy a knife in..S30V" Yet I've seen MANY of those same people going nuts over this steel. I highly doubt 95% of the community need that kind of toughness either. Wow... disappointing. That chart just saved me $75.
Its the edge stability, the sharpenability, deformation and chipping resistance with the added bonus of being highly corrosion resistant without the detriments other stainless steels have for being stainless.

In real world use this can translate to more perceived edge holding, than what the wear resistance of the steel is since the dulling mechanism for everyone can be different.
Thanks for breaking that down Shawn. Much easier through words, than the graphs themselves. I appreciate that!
Right on, yeah give it a try and see I've been very impressed with it.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
sal

Post by sal »

Frankly, we are pleased to be able to bring this "new" blade steel to you, that was designed/invented by the Industry's very own Dr. Larrin Thomas. A unique individual combined with a unique Foundry/Rolling Mill, creating a unique new alloy especially for us. We are evolving as we should. Like David said in another thread, we need to stop and appreciate what is being done now. We sincerely hope that everyone that wants one, gets one.

sal
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Thank you, Sal and Larrin, for bringing us the MagnaMule!
archangel

Post by archangel »

sal wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:57 pm
Frankly, we are pleased to be able to bring this "new" blade steel to you, that was designed/invented by the Industry's very own Dr. Larrin Thomas. A unique individual combined with a unique Foundry/Rolling Mill, creating a unique new alloy especially for us. We are evolving as we should. Like David said in another thread, we need to stop and appreciate what is being done now. We sincerely hope that everyone that wants one, gets one.

sal

We love your company for doing it! But I'm sure you know this. ;)

How many of this are gonna be made available online? I'm asking because I know that a part of the production lot is going to be reserved for walk-in customers of the SFO. If this was answered before, excuse me, I have not seen it.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Burningcort

Post by Burningcort »

I will try to get one...but I am not sure if I will be lucky enough...
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Burningcort:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Burningcort

Post by Burningcort »

Michael Janich wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:45 am
Dear Burningcort:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thanks for the welcome.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:39 pm
If that's the case, what is everyone drooling over this steel for?? Because of how stainless it is? That edge retention is shockingly low, considering the hype of this steel, being comparable to " plain old, boring, I don't like it, I'll never buy a knife in..S30V" Yet I've seen MANY of those same people going nuts over this steel. I highly doubt 95% of the community need that kind of toughness either. Wow... disappointing. That chart just saved me $75.

I don't think I'd call a 5 in edge retention shockingly low, you just to think about it in context. Compared to a steel that may be a 9 or 10, this is going to sharpen back up 1) just plain easier but also 2) easier because it's going to see a lot less edge damage than other steels in the same use so most will probably be fine with stropping the edge and maintaining sharpness far longer than you'd see from other steels, especially the low toughness steels after you start fracturing out tiny bits of the edge. I think it's more important to look at the list of steels on that chart that have all categories at or above 5 and of those steels which ones go above 5. I've been thinking of this steel as being a sort of VG10 on steroids.

And for the record S30V is a great steel, we're all just spoiled rotten.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

it's up on the site! listed as "coming soon."
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

I didn't want to create a new topic for this question, so I'll ask it here.

Where is the thread that has "show off your Mule" pictures? I tried searching and didnt find anything. Thx in advance.
You should never have to ask yourself "do i really need another knife?" The answer is obvious...
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

kadinh wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:51 pm

Where is the thread that has "show off your Mule" pictures? I tried searching and didnt find anything. Thx in advance.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=31531
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

RamZar wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:54 pm
kadinh wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:51 pm

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=31531
TYVM
You should never have to ask yourself "do i really need another knife?" The answer is obvious...
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

For everyone just itching for this drop, I'll share a tidbit here: I had the pleasure of testing a DCC test blade in magnacut. The heat treat was ok but the maker has told me he since improved it quite a bit. One big factor is that it was shockingly easy to get an amazingly sharp edge on it, showcasing it's very fine grain structure. I have no issues with a 5/10 in wear resistance when a steel can be brought back to hair whittling with a very minor touch up on the sharpmaker or a strop. Similar to my experience with LC200N. The particular test blade I got did suffer some chipping during hard use at an angle of 14dps but I understand that an improved heat treat would rectify this...

Fine grain structure plus good toughness makes a superb candidate for very low bevel angles and thinning, which is what I eventually intend to test out on my mule, if I'm so lucky as to get one. A blade that has been thinned out to a good bte measurement and sporting a 11-12 DPS bevel should be able to easily outcut a blade with much higher wear resistance.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Given MagnaCut's toughness, do you think we'll see a lot of folks taking the DPS down below 15?

Below 15?!? :no-mouth :astonished :exploding-head
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

T-minus 78 minutes
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Im hanging out at home, heading over to the store in about 30-40 minutes. Told work I would be late.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Im at my work but i leave at 5:15pm
Its the exact time of the drop + 15 minutes xD
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

OMG! 50 minutes to get past the payment screen. But I got a confirmation email!
LakeOconee

Post by LakeOconee »

Same here!

What a hair-raising-but-worth-it ordeal!

One hour and six minutes to get the confirm email.
:bug-red-white MNOSD Member #0037
dkelley661

Post by dkelley661 »

Crazy....the whole process took less than 5 minutes, but my first attempt was an hour after initial drop time.