Carbon fiber nylon printed scales?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Fireman

Carbon fiber nylon printed scales?

Post by Fireman »

This looks interesting…
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Bolster

Re: Carbon fiber nylon printed scales?

Post by Bolster »

Agreed...
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

The whole subject is fascinating. I just installed some high-zoot brakes, and the master cylinders are a polymer/carbon composite. The carbon fibers are aligned in a way to provide maximum rigidity in the dimension of greatest force. In my walnut-sized dinosaur brain, magnesium would be my first choice, but it's hard to argue with performance. Up until now, I'v been perfectly happy with FRN and FRCP, but maybe CF would be better. How about some bi-directional scales in CF?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Fireman wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:43 pm

This looks interesting…
Kind of funny this was just mentioned here. Yesterday I saw a guy post in one of the Facebook groups that he was printing with CarbonX Nylon on his Creality machine and I've started considering trying it. I'd need to set up one of my machines to do but all 3 are busy running PLA and PETG parts. So I'm considering a 4th machine (we'll see). Probably wise to dedicate one my existing ones just to try it. The guy in that video says it's easy to print with but he's also mostly referring to high-end machines. He does say that even an Ender 3 can run it. That's the little machine that does most of my production work (I have printing beautifully). So maybe I'll convert one of my CR-10S Pros if I can get the steel nozzles for it. I'd like to start taking my little 3D printing business to the next level and this could help me to do that
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

The various CF filaments are very interesting, I would like to try the Prusa carbon fiber PC filament in particular. The thing that's kept me from trying is it the fact that they wear out brass nozzles quickly, so you have to use a different material, like hardened steel, that has different heat transfer characteristics. I've been using the factory profiles with little modification so far with good success, so I'm a little concerned about mixing it all up with a new nozzle.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Gtscotty wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:36 am
The various CF filaments are very interesting, I would like to try the Prusa carbon fiber PC filament in particular. The thing that's kept me from trying is it the fact that they wear out brass nozzles quickly, so you have to use a different material, like hardened steel, that has different heat transfer characteristics. I've been using the factory profiles with little modification so far with good success, so I'm a little concerned about mixing it all up with a new nozzle.
What machine are you using? Have you done PID tuning? If not you really should. It's easy to do through Pronterface or Octoprint. The firmware I'm using on my CR-10S Pros allows me to do PID tuning right from the interface on the machine. So it's even easier now. On my Ender I still have to do it through Octoprint but it's just a matter of sending proper commands through the terminal mode and then saving the values to the eprom

I just ordered some of this...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z3BDBYW?ps ... yp_imgToDp

I also ordered some hardened steel nozzles. I'll put my Micro Swiss all-metal hot end back on one of CR-10S Pros and possibly build a temporary enclosure from PVC and stretch wrap. People in the Facebook groups are complaining they're having trouble getting this material to stick. One guy said he's had good luck using a Garolite (G10) surface on his Wham Bam setup. I have several different surfaces for mine. Haven't had to use G10 yet though

One big issue I'm reading about is how hygroscopic the CF-Nylon filament is. A lot of people are saying they have to dry it out in the oven for several hours before using a new roll. I haven't had to buy a filament dryer yet but I'll get one of the Sunlu ones if I need to.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Is this the same material that the CF Elite bugout uses?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Rp5 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:47 pm
Is this the same material that the CF Elite bugout uses?
It sounds like the same basic material. My guess is the Bugout handles are molded and not printed
LoPan12

Post by LoPan12 »

So I made some quick scales from the guy here...my tired dumb brain forgot about...heat. I went to form some kydex for a sheath...and that's when I realized how kydex is hot enough to squish my temporary pla+ scales 🤣
Crox

Post by Crox »

Is there a model available somewhere for the mules?
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Crox wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:10 pm
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=89676
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=90080
Crox

Post by Crox »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:55 pm
Crox wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:10 pm
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=89676
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=90080
Thanks. So much knowledge in here. It’s really great.
Burningcort

Post by Burningcort »

Carbon Fiber for scales might be cool but overkill for a 3d printed scale...

But would look cool as hell...
carbonfiberar4.jpg
carbonfiberar3.jpg