Z-Wear PM, Mule #30 --- My knife experience

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Setheronie

Z-Wear PM, Mule #30 --- My knife experience

Post by Setheronie »

Background
Before I post my experience with Z-wear, I would like to quickly share my overall knife/steel experience.

I have only used VG-10 (Delica/Endura) and CPM S30V (PM2) for 10 years or so in 'normal' EDC and work related use. I'm a paramedic and have been extremely happy with these knives. I've maintained my knives with Spyderco's SharpMaker during this time. I am not a huge knife/edge guy, but I have definitely been bit by the :bug-red-white . :nerd

Pro tip: If you're in the medical field trying to do a minor surgery on your leg with your PM2 and you think you've cleaned it thoroughly with dish soap, you'll get a staff infection. Don't use your edc for that... :rofl

The Z-Wear Mule
This is my first Mule and pretty much first good fixed blade (I've only had the basic Kabar)
I plan on using this as more of an outdoor/camp/hunting/fishing/farm knife and would like to make a scandi grind on it one day.

I've been really impressed with the factory edge and so far I've only made feather sticks and a walking stick/spear. I did get a spot with tiny chips from cutting off small branches/knots on the stick. Might have been a twist or wrong angle cutting though. Considering how thin and narrow the edge gets, it is understandable; I don't blame the steel for that type of work. I've since then sharpened it and it is very nice sharpening this steel.

I'm really loving the edge geometry on the mule as well. One thing I found when making feathersticks is the thickness of the handle closest to the edge could be thicker. I tend to hold it where it's thickest for the most comfort. I have medium sized hands and overall it works well, but I can tell the handle is not necessarily designed for bushcraft work. It basically just leaves my pointer finger some space that should be filled with a fist grip.

I'm excited to further use this knife and will update more when possible!

Last edited by Setheronie on Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TazKristi

Re: Z-Wear PM, Mule #30 --- My knife experience

Post by TazKristi »

Setheronie wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:34 am

I'm excited to further use this knife and will update more when possible!
Hi, Setheronie:
Welcome to the Spyderco Forum! Thank you for taking the time to join us and share your experience with your new Z-Wear PM Mule Team! We hope you enjoy your time with us.

Unfortunately, I can't see your image. You might check your privacy settings for the image.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Great first post!

Welcome to the forum, and the Mule Team!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Nice pic. I have a leather sheath and the G-10 scales and think both are excellent quality. Haven't put scales on my Z-wears yet but looking for some. Don't have a good space to make handles yet so will probably buy more. Got 2 of the synthetic sheaths I believe.

What sometimes happens witht he factory edges on these knives is that they are ground somewhat quickly using machinery. Those people are very skilled but it's still easy to overheat the edge a little bit and make it weaker even if still very sharp. The edges often end up stronger after a few good sharpenings to take the slight brittless out of the edge.

OTOH, knots can make a mess out of most knife blades if hit hard enough, so indeed it may just be that. Just wanted to share that there's a good chance teh edge will be even better after a few good sharpenings (at least if done well)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Welcome Seth, and thanks for the excellent writeup!

Defenestrate may know the sharpening process for mules, but from a thread awhile back I thought that robotic sharpening of mules was likely. Either way, Mr. Defenestrate gives a good tip that you don't really judge an edge by its factory sharpening, due to the possibility of extra heat from the machine sharpening.

The Z-wear SHOULD be tough and not chip as much as many other knife steels, so please report back if you're still getting chipping after a hand-sharpening.

Hope to see you around the forum!
Setheronie

Post by Setheronie »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:26 pm

Defenestrate may know the sharpening process for mules, but from a thread awhile back I thought that robotic sharpening of mules was likely. Either way, Mr. Defenestrate gives a good tip that you don't really judge an edge by its factory sharpening, due to the possibility of extra heat from the machine sharpening.

The Z-wear SHOULD be tough and not chip as much as many other knife steels, so please report back if you're still getting chipping after a hand-sharpening.

Oh that's really good to know, thanks!

I'm getting married in a month so haven't had the time sorry.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Setheronie wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:34 am
Pro tip: If you're in the medical field trying to do a minor surgery on your leg with your PM2 and you think you've cleaned it thoroughly with dish soap, you'll get a staff infection. Don't use your edc for that... :rofl
I wouldn't get my EDC anywhere near my staff.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Setheronie wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:26 pm
Bolster wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:26 pm

Oh that's really good to know, thanks!

I'm getting married in a month so haven't had the time sorry.
Congratulations and blessings!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Setheronie

Post by Setheronie »

After chopping the wood frame with an axe the Mule made easy work on my old broken surf board. :winking-tongue

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CMfnnSm5H8EXyKjV9