Sharpening a Mule

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
WilliamMunny

Sharpening a Mule

Post by WilliamMunny »

Speaking of mules how does everyone sharpen theirs? I use the Work Sharp guided system with reasonable results. Since this is pretty much free hand it is easy to be off on your angle by a few degrees. On the plus side there is something cool about free hand sharpening and the plates have no problem cutting and sharpening even super steels.

Is the Sharpmaker the go to? It also seems like you could get mixed results on it. I used the Lansky rod system with okay results but like the Work Sharp guided stone system better.

I am looking to switch as the factory edge on these mules is a lot shaper than I have ever gotten with my work sharp, even with the ultra fine stone.
Attachments
DDACAD0D-6C60-482D-83BA-8141A4A11C0B.jpeg
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
JK47

Re: Sharpening a Mule

Post by JK47 »

I have a Sharpmaker, a Tormek, and a Wicked Edge. By far I like using the Wicked edge to set and angle and polish a blade. I mainly use the Tormek for kitchen knives, and the Sharpmaker to touch up edges that have already been done on the Wicked Edge and Tormek.

When I have time sometime this week I'll be giving my MT30 a proper sharpening. Most of my pocket and fixed blade EDC knives are sharpened to 20dps, but I'm debating on whether I should give the MT30 a 15dps showtime sharpening...
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:01 pm
On the plus side there is something cool about free hand sharpening and the plates have no problem cutting and sharpening even super steels.
I wholeheartedly support anyone learning how to sharpen freehand. It really only took me a couple weeks to learn how to make things reliably sharper and a few months to see some actual, non-embarrassing edges. It’s a skill that you practice for a bit and blammo, you’re well on your way.

I use two stone types pretty much exclusively.

I have a set of shapton glass stones that I use with anything under 3% vanadium (kind of arbitrary but it works for my purposes 🤷‍♂️ )

But on the opposite end of the price spectrum, I use a sharpal 325/1200 diamond bench stone and it’s awesomeeeee. It apexes most of my “super steels” with only a few strokes and sets them up perfectly for either a coarse or polished edge.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

Has anyone attempted to use a convex edge on a Mule. I recently purchased a convex guide rod for my KME to use on a fixed blade. I would assume that it would work on a Mule also. Any thoughts?
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Here's my Hapstone setup with a Mule, photo'd just as initial sharpening began. Changed my mind last minute and went with 17 dps instead of 15 dps, more or less the factory angle. Blade shape makes for easy sharpening with no complexities.

Progression was 150 - 220 - 320 - 800. Took maybe 5-10 minutes.
Attachments
mulesharp.jpg
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I've been doing mine freehand on my DMT Diafold pocket diamond hones for years. Being freehand, I'm sure my edges are convex at least slightly, but that has never bothered me.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Has anyone tried a Whetstone? There are tons on Amazon, is there a few brands I should look for that are quality?
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:00 am
Has anyone tried a Whetstone? There are tons on Amazon, is there a few brands I should look for that are quality?
People have recommended any number of good quality silicon carbide whetstones. Norton comes to mind.

But there is lots to learn about sharpening and better and worse ways to do it. There are lots of threads on this forum if you search. A general recommendation, not simply out of brand loyalty, is to get a Spyderco sharpmaker. It is certainly worth reading about that gadget and to consider getting one.

Sharpening with a whetstone would be what is called "free hand" sharpening -- as opposed to using some kind of fancy gadget that holds your knife at a precise angle to the stone (referred to as a guided system). All worth reading about. In truth you could spend all day (with no exaggeration) reading about knife sharpening, and it would be worth your time. And then there are people who will tell you not to overcomplicate it. Everything is simple once you get the hang of it.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:00 am
Shout yourself a Suehiro Japanese stone. You won’t be disappointed.

As said just watch a few videos and sharpen and use your knife.

Been a free hand sharpener for years as was a butcher and have taught many a apprentice to sharpen knives.
One piece of advice is if you sharpening a knife for more that a few minutes your just taking steel off
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
David R

Post by David R »

Freehand or EdgePro. They are small enough, flat ground, with a slight belly that either one is relatively straightforward. I just sharpened a bunch of Mules on my EdgePro for some edge testing. Getting the same edge on all of with the the EP was fairly easy.

I typically use diamond matrix stones. For the lower carbide steels I'll use other stones freehand as well.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Just sharpened my PD1 mule for the first time last week using my Sharpmaker. Factory edge lasted me literally 1 year of box opening and cardboard breakdown. I'm not skilled nor experienced with sharpening, but it seemed pretty quick and painless for decent results. I won't be whittling hair anytime soon, but sliced through newspaper pretty well. Really like the mule team platform.
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

I haven't sharpened my new Z-wear one yet. It's still factory edged :bug-white-red
Murat_Cyp

Post by Murat_Cyp »

My Z-Wear mule went straight to sharpening jig that I have after a maker put a set of scales on it for me. It is a nice aggressive edge. Polished but not a mirror finish. Tried to whittle hair, but the edge just goes through the hair strand as soon it touched the edge.

AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

I sharpened it on a Spyderco Sharpmaker, works fine to refresh the sharpness. But If I got a chip or roll on the edge I would rather use my apexoid sharpener to restore the edge and secondary bevels.
Last edited by AlexRus on Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
hijinxtx

Post by hijinxtx »

I use the Spyderco Sharpmaker to get the edge in shape. When it looks and feels good I use a fine DMT brick to finish it. The key with the diamond brick for me is the oil I use on it. Water works kinda, but Trend oil is actually thinner than water they tell me and it makes a big difference. Plus it really keeps the diamond surface clean. It doesn't take much either! One of the guys at the Spyderco place in Golden put an edge on my one remaining ZDP189 combo blade Delica with a sharpmaker. Super guy and was determined on my knife to restore the edge. He did but I agree with him it is time to retire that one. So now my carry is a straight ZDP189 Delica. I wish I had thought to get his name but I didn't.
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

JK47 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:24 pm
I have a Sharpmaker, a Tormek, and a Wicked Edge. By far I like using the Wicked edge to set and angle and polish a blade. I mainly use the Tormek for kitchen knives, and the Sharpmaker to touch up edges that have already been done on the Wicked Edge and Tormek.

When I have time sometime this week I'll be giving my MT30 a proper sharpening. Most of my pocket and fixed blade EDC knives are sharpened to 20dps, but I'm debating on whether I should give the MT30 a 15dps showtime sharpening...
Which W.E. do you have? I have had the "field" model (don't remember the full/real name) that goes in 2° increments, so I can do 14° or 16°, but not 15° like Spyderco grinds. I dont think it would make a HUGE deal to go with 16° on the WE, then touch up on the 15° setting on the Sharpmaker....
You should never have to ask yourself "do i really need another knife?" The answer is obvious...
JK47

Post by JK47 »

kadinh wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:38 pm
JK47 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:24 pm

Which W.E. do you have? I have had the "field" model (don't remember the full/real name) that goes in 2° increments, so I can do 14° or 16°, but not 15° like Spyderco grinds. I dont think it would make a HUGE deal to go with 16° on the WE, then touch up on the 15° setting on the Sharpmaker....
I have the base model that I slowly upgraded over time to roughly the equivalent of the Pro Pack II.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Edge Pro for resetting bevels, Sharpmaker for maintaining edges and everything serrations related.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Screenshot_20230105_114419_Gallery.jpg
Been experimenting with some abrasive material draw cut testing. And experimenting with stone progressions as well. This b70p mule was apexed on a 400 sharp pebble silicon carbide stone. Refined on the 1k side of the same stone. I tested a brown spyderco ceramic after the same progression on an s30v military that I liked. But I used a hard arkansas stone afterwards on the mule. Took about 5 or 6 minutes total. I anticipate the edge will perform better with the spyderco ceramic instead of the ark. Edge angle is about 11 degrees id say.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230105_174249_Gallery.jpg
tomsch1963

Post by tomsch1963 »

Freehand or WE. Since I have a rather robust number of kitchen knives in my roll I tend to go to freehand unless I need to reprofile or thin.