Resin Scales

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
standy99

Resin Scales

Post by standy99 »

Picked up a few Resin blocks for scales

#1 (from #dripartco)

#2 with a wicked Glow in the Dark colouring (from #dankblanks)

Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Mushroom

Re: Resin Scales

Post by Mushroom »

Those look really cool! I'm really interested to see the finished product, especially from that second UV glow second slab you showed!
-Nick :bug-red
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Those look awesome! Can't wait to see what you do with them!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
standy99

Post by standy99 »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:36 pm
Those look awesome! Can't wait to see what you do with them!
Might ease into it with a Australian Jarrah and resin (first one) mix to start off.
Have so many nice Australian hardwoods at the moment. The jarrah is a bit plain so a mix of colour resin might make it more interesting.

The second one will be all resin I envision… :beaming-face
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I sure like the glow.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Been playing with the resin off-cut to learn more about resin

Made a EDC worry stone thingy. Can polish it a bit more to get it clear.

Thinking of a resin section to start with. There is a fair bit of clear once you cut into the first block at the end I’m starting with.

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Where did you buy those? They really are super artistic. I love that resin. Whoever is making them is really good at it.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Two guys #dripartco and #dankblanks on Instagram

Both great guys to deal with and just as keen to see what’s inside a block as the owner is. Both are custom requested and the same price as their regular blocks. These guys just love making them. Blocks are quite big also. $80 on average

Good to play with a bit before I use it.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I wonder if they are anywhere else. I'm not young enough to understand Instagram. I'll do an old fashioned google search and see if I can locate them anywhere else. Thanks!
standy99

Post by standy99 »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:27 am
I wonder if they are anywhere else. I'm not young enough to understand Instagram. I'll do an old fashioned google search and see if I can locate them anywhere else. Thanks!
I was too old fashioned for Instagram but caved and found so much else and so many budding knife makers. So much gear you can’t buy at knife makers websites.

It’s so easy you don’t have to post. Just set up a account and you can follow these guys and their posts show up on your follow list. You see one you like you send a message and they do all the arrangements via that.

Trust me I’m 50 and I held off for so long. Had 14 days hotel quarantine locked up and decided to give it a go and it has me in the loop with so many good guys like ourselves and the amount of new stuff is amazing. Xplorer is on there and many from here.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Making a set of scales

standy99

Post by standy99 »

Update

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Looks great!
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Aw man that looks fantastic! Will this be goin onto a mule?
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
standy99

Post by standy99 »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:21 pm
Aw man that looks fantastic! Will this be goin onto a mule?
Of course…..
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:27 am
Tom, I'll be 50 in April. Many (most) of the knife makers I follow on Instagram are older than me. I was completely resistant to all social media. I still refuse to have a Facebook or a Twitter account because I think (no..I'm certain) they are a cancer on our society. I stayed away from I.G. too until I did a Google search for a custom back-spacer and found that the guy that made the one I liked only showed his work on Instagram. When I started my account I found out there's a venerable boatload of knife makers who only show their work on Instagram. For a custom maker of anything, it's a place to be able to show your work and potentially reach customers world-wide for free. Thanks to I.G. I've sold knives to people in Romania, Canada, Coast Rica, Alaska, Montana, Florida, Australia (in about a week) and a bunch of other people in places that would likely not have seen my work otherwise. I even got my dad @gkellywoodworker to start an account and now he gets more customers for his fancy wood furniture from I.G. than anywhere else...as you can imagine, if I'm almost 50...he's ancient! :winking-tongue

The format is easy. If you take a photo you'd like to show people, you can post it and people who follow you will see it. Photos from people you choose to follow show up in your feed. You can make comments on photos you see and you can send private messages. People send me requests to order knives in I.G. almost every day. I generally tell all of them I don't take orders but I use the P.M. feature to maintain a list of people to contact when I have a knife available. Nearly all of the communicating I do about knife purchase is done on I.G.

I don't know if you know who Michael Walker is? Inventor of the liner lock and first to make the amazing "zipper" blade among many other achievements. I consider him to be the best (at worst top 3) knife maker in the world. I used I/G. to contact him when I was struggling with tapping titanium and he used I.G. to help me learn everything I needed to know and more. I have learned more from I.G. instructional videos posted by Bob Terzuola and Allen Elishewitz than I could have ever imagined. The direct access you have to makers there is unparalleled.

Maybe this provides you a little extra incentive?...you've hinted at wanting a knife from me so if you start your account, follow me and send me a message I'll put you at the top of the list (actually 3rd is the best I can offer) for the option to purchase any of the current batch of 14 knives I have in process when they are finished and available. I have some Herons, some Coops, a couple of Nesmuks, a few pukkos and a couple of larger Loveless-esque field and stream style knives coming soon. This group is a mix of Vanax, Z-Wear, S35VN, and MagnaCut.

I hope to see you there. :smlling-eyes

CK
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

standy99 wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:10 am
Update

THIS^ is going to be beautiful!! :smiling-heart-eyes
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Cut into second block of UV resin. Just the bottom slice for now. This block will look better as I go up a few layers over time.