Having a shot at Micarta scales

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Bolster

Re: Having a shot at Micarta scales

Post by Bolster »

That's strong work man. Quite a lovely team of muleage you have there. Congrats!!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Looks great! I'd like to try this but I am somewhat short on tools and workshop space. I guess I could do it on my porch if it's not raining, how evil is the dust from micarta? Thinking not as bad as G10 but I have neighbors that are pretty close. I do at least have a cheap dremelish tool and a decent cordless drill so flap wheels and shaping tools are probably available.
Last edited by defenestrate on Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It's my understanding that all small particles are dangerous (evil) if inhaled, even plain pine wood dust. However, it is a matter of degrees, more or less dangerous. Micarta I have read is made of a non toxic resin and plant based fibers (cotton, etc) so it is at the lower end of the scale of dangerous. G10 had glass fibers which are very bad to inhale. Some woods are pretty bad to inhale as well as they are toxic or known allergens.

A dust mask is always recommended for any sanding, and a half-face respirator is required for some sanding of things like G-10 or carbon fiber. A shop vac with a high efficiency filter can be used for dust collection for most things, but it is insufficient for the dangerous stuff, IMO.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
standy99

Post by standy99 »

The more I am doing the better gear I am getting. A half face respirator is only $40 AUD for one for fibreglass. I have it now I will use it whenever I am sanding anything nowadays

A P2 or N95 would be sufficient for Micarta sanding of the one handle.

Once you get to hand sanding you can do it wet with wet and dry sandpaper that saves any dust.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I use this mask for sanding and I've been very happy with it: https://envomask.com
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Got myself some red linen Micarta… :bug-red-white
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.