3d printed scales with patterns/textures

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Josh Crutchley

Re: 3d printed scales with patterns/textures

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Fireman wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:17 pm
Is it possible to print a handle that is one piece so that the printer will print connecting the two sides through the hole? Is that better a a glue job so that one side has posts through the holes that go flush to the other side or just below the surface?
Araignee wrote: If one side had integrated threaded spacers, that'd be pretty convenient indeed. But it remains to be seen (1) how hard it is to print the inner threads and (2) if these plastic thread would be strong enough to bear everyday usage.

And, by the way, if we could 3D print screws as well, we'd have a complete setup and wouldn't have to worry about finding separate hardware :smiling-heart-eyes

But I checked on Thingiverse and didn't come across any small screws/bolts. I guess the resolution of common printers isn't low enough... or perhaps it is, but material strength becomes a challenge :thinking
I thinks it's a better idea to use pins that way the scales are the same. I'm waiting for hardware myself and just used 3/16 dowel to hold them on temporarily. You could 3d print pins so there the same color so translucent can be used. I modeled one up with holes for pins coming from the back which I think is cool. I can also model it for different screw types if needed but no one has asked yet.
Attachments
20220131_081354.jpg
testmulepins.png
testmulepinfrnt.png
attila

Post by attila »

So, is everyone else using an MSLA printer? I’m not having much luck printing these on an FDM printer (Ender 3).

I first tried printing flat, but the surface texture doesn’t print well.

I then printed directly on end and had one snap at the layer lines.

Next, I tried printing on end a
(at a 15° angle) and got warping that I tried straightening while pressing a scale onto a heated bed with a book. I discovered that 70°C for 15 mins can indeed correct warping, but PLA shrinks when heated, so the hardware doesn’t align anymore.

Lastly, I printed on the spine edge but the support material transition ruined the finish and the contour of the scale doesn’t match that of the mule handle.

I’m bummed that FDM isn’t working well, and I’m not ready to buy a resin printer just to make scales for a few mules. Maybe I’ll try some on end PETG or PLA at higher temps for better layer adhesion.

Anyone else have luck with FDM printed mule scales?
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

I print flat on both FDM and Resin. The resin makes a much finer finish and can be done in translucent colors.

I did a lot of trial to get good results with FDM and figure that nozzle size and layer height are the biggest factors to getting them to look good.

Stepping down to a 0.2mm nozzle at a 0.1 or 0.08mm layer height gives much better results than anything I could achieve with a 0.4mm nozzle. Also slowing down print speed to 40 or 50mm inside and 25 to 30mm for outside walls has helped. Prints now take about 20 to 24 hours per set instead of 4 to 6 hours.

I still get a little bit of a layer line down the middle as the radius flattens out but overall they look very good.

Using small nozzles has its own set of issues like clogging and wearing out faster than bigger nozzles. Some filaments just don't cooperate and I make sure to print straight from my filament dryer. I am getting about 5 to 10 Scale sets per nozzle before it starts losing detail.

I just got some hardened steel 0.2mm nozzles to see how they hold up.

Also, if I try to print the bottom too thick or a completely solid scale, it will start to warp and pull the edges up off the build plate. I like them as solid as possible for strength but each filament warps differently and needs some amount of infill.

Hope this helps and looking forward to seeing your finished scales.
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
Ilocano73

Post by Ilocano73 »

Great thread on 3D printed scales. Question for you guys. Do you guys glue the printed scales to the mule? My first mule with printed scales was not glued onto the blade. I happened to be experimenting on scale design and when I removed the old scales so I can test the new design, I found rust spots. I’ve used the knife for odd kitchen and backyard stuff so i’ve definitely washed it but I guess did not do a great job drying. I was able to scrub the rust off with a couple of minor marks that’s not too noticeable. It’s the Z-Wear btw.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Ilocano73 wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:14 am
Great thread on 3D printed scales. Question for you guys. Do you guys glue the printed scales to the mule? My first mule with printed scales was not glued onto the blade. I happened to be experimenting on scale design and when I removed the old scales so I can test the new design, I found rust spots. I’ve used the knife for odd kitchen and backyard stuff so i’ve definitely washed it but I guess did not do a great job drying. I was able to scrub the rust off with a couple of minor marks that’s not too noticeable. It’s the Z-Wear btw.
The scales I've made are meant to use Halpern hardware or equivalent.
https://www.halperntitanium.com/product ... ed-or-FLAT
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:15 pm
The top one can be for fragile college-indoctrinated adult children
yikes. inb4 inevitable "it's a joke" walk-back
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

bleasure wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:14 am
Bolster wrote:
?
"Some call me...Tim?"
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Paraguy wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:42 pm
bleasure wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:14 am
Bolster wrote:
?
Maybe he didn't realize it was almost a year ago. I honestly thought it was funny, I didn't even see the snowflakes till Bolster brought it up. To me it was a cube pattern but now all I see is that @*#%$@# snowflake. :cussing :rofl
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

My brother and I made our first test a couple of weeks ago.
The fit is nice and tight. However, he wanted to see how much he could cut the printing time without having bad results.
I think he still has some tuning to do (his Prusa was out of order for a while, we just barely got it running again).

I still can try to finish it myself, but there was a LOT of stray plastic filaments on the texture ^^.
Next is either trying the resin printer for another set of scales, or the sheath (and for sure the N5 LW scales once I finally know where to order the inserts, the company Josh mentionned is european, but finidng a place that holds and sells their stuff is hard for me apparently :squinting-tongue

Here's a couple of shots :

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Thinking about one or two printed scales with a leather inside for stropping and or oiling to add functionality to the scales. Thinking slotted or screwheads and or with a D shaped screws for ease of field use. I think having two different grit compounds would have the most use for me.

This set up would make it easier and more economical for the variety of mules I have. Perhaps one or two sets with or without the leather but the D ring heads for ease of swapping. Perhaps slotted screws and a washer/firesteel scraper on the lanyard would be a good combo.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Fireman wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:58 pm
That's a good idea!
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:35 pm
Fireman wrote:
That's a good idea!
Of course it is. I am a genius. Can you prototype it?
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

But seriously… Can you?
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Hey guys, is this a hard thing to make

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4708242

know nothing about 3D printing

Willing to pay for one
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Fireman wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:30 pm
Josh Crutchley wrote:
Fireman wrote:
That's a good idea!
You should download Fusion 360 and give it a try.

I'll look into it but need to know how thick you want the finished handle and the thickness of your of your leather.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:24 am
Fireman wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:30 pm
Josh Crutchley wrote:
Fireman wrote:
That's a good idea!
You should download Fusion 360 and give it a try.

I'll look into it but need to know how thick you want the finished handle and the thickness of your of your leather.
Perhaps just use a thinner leather say 1/16” and longer screws with an existing design so that it would be easy to do a proof of concept. Perhaps the finished product is a diamond lapping film cut out to the same outline as the scales with a thin rubber backing glued to to the scale or just using double sided foam tape and diamond lapping film so it could be replaced easily. The added benefit of the rubber/foam/lapping film is that it won’t absorb water or dirt to corrode a non stainless mule
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I still like the idea of D ring or slotted screws for easy transfer of scales or for cleaning.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Fireman wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:26 pm
I still like the idea of D ring or slotted screws for easy transfer of scales or for cleaning.
Yeah no tools or just a coin to take them apart.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:35 pm
Fireman wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:26 pm
Yeah no tools or just a coin to take them apart.
A washer on the lanyard will be good because it’ll be captured and you have the tool attached. Also, if you flatten a bit of the washer with a sharp 90°, you should be able to scrape a feral rod pretty easily with it as well.
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

I DO NOT need a 3d printer... I DO NOT need a 3d printer... I DO NOT need a 3d printer... I DO NOT need a 3d printer... I DO NOT need a 3d printer... I DO NOT need a 3d printer... I DO NOT need a 3d printer...............................