Wood Scale Preparation

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Bolster

Wood Scale Preparation

Post by Bolster »

Been meaning to add this post to the pile for awhile.

If you are into wood scales, it's fun to find your own wood...from trees in your yard, from items that belonged to relatives (I have an odd piece of my grandfather's bedpost of all things, may he R.I.P., that will soon become a knife scale), and so on.

A moisture meter is inexpensive, many in the $12-30 range. Most sources say you can work wood that's down to 7% moisture content. I notice that some of my freshly cut wood is around 30-40% moisture when harvested and it's been taking me about two months to get it down to 7%.

My procedure so far is to cut off a "log" (maybe 12" long and 4" diameter give or take a few) and seal the ends with: paint, urethane, glue, or whatever's handy. I've noticed that logs do better with two coats of sealant; one coat can just suck in and not provided the needed barrier, and checking can occur. Then I let the log sit with bark on, for a couple weeks. I store it in my outdoor shed, which can get to 120F in the summer. Shed has shelves made of wire mesh which allows lots of air flow.

After a week or two, I bandsaw off the bark so I have a square cross section, then let it sit another couple weeks. Then bandsaw into rough blanks, maybe 1/2" thick each and 8" long (ends resealed if necessary) and let it sit for a couple more weeks. I have not been weighting down my stack; I want it to twist and turn and find its equilibrium. I can bandsaw or sand it again so it's flat when it's below 7%.

If you have a different procedure, or tricks/tips/kinks, I'd like to know what they are. I'm learning as I go, here. Will add some photos soon.
TomAiello

Re: Wood Scale Preparation

Post by TomAiello »

I have a piece of wood that was used to splint a friend's leg, to get him out of the backcountry. I'm going to stabilize it and make something for him. It was dead wood, in a desert environment, so it's pretty dry already.

'Personal' wood is the best. :)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

What's drying currently, all is "found wood" from trimming. L to R: Mesquite. Heartwood like a dark but more open grain walnut. This is from a tree I planted myself about 7 years ago. Then pear. Very heavy and fine grained. Finally Bottlebrush. Basically an overgrown bush! Vivid pink-purple stripe for heartwood that looks a bit like Purpleheart wood.

Opening up wood is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get...
Attachments
FoundWood.jpg
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:06 pm
I have a piece of wood that was used to splint a friend's leg, to get him out of the backcountry. I'm going to stabilize it and make something for him. It was dead wood, in a desert environment, so it's pretty dry already.

'Personal' wood is the best. :)

Fantastic. Wood with stories is indeed the best wood. You do your own resin stabilization?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Yes. Cactus juice, vacuum chambers, and an old toaster oven. :)