Nothing Like It?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Bolster

Re: Nothing Like It?

Post by Bolster »

JRinFL wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:26 pm
I found an interesting Elmax skeletonized blade at DLT Trading, the Ambush Sidekick. $50 is not too bad.
Have in hand. It's .050 BTE and .155 at the spine, if anyone's interested. A 3-finger grip, and yes, 1.8 oz.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Overall length is fairly short it sounds like? Still Elmax! My only Mule so far is Elmax and I really like it.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:28 pm
JRinFL wrote:
I found an interesting Elmax skeletonized blade at DLT Trading, the Ambush Sidekick. $50 is not too bad.
Have in hand. It's .050 BTE and .155 at the spine, if anyone's interested. A 3-finger grip, and yes, 1.8 oz.
Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. With a 3 finger grip, does that make it just a bit shorter than a Bradford G3?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Have you looked at cheapish skeletonized knives with handles? I looked at for example, the RUIKE Hornet on Knifecenter, which is ~$50 for 14C28N, looks like skeleton g10 handles are hex bolts, and decent sized knife to work on.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:28 pm
JRinFL wrote:
I almost hit buy, but that sounds like kind of a chonky grind. Maybe still worth it?
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Yes, 'chonky' is a good word for it. I noticed in a BF thread (from years ago) that an employee of DLT offered someone a free regrind on another Ambush knife, but the cost would be no stonewash finish on the final product. (Unknown: the quality of work you'd get. Does a random DLT employee get the job of putting the knife to the belt sander...? I'm fully capable of ruining my own knives, thankyouverymuch.)

This strikes me as a very durable small blade, not so much a slicer (as sold) but more of a mini survival knife, able to take abuse at the blade, at least--not so sure about the tang, hollowed out as it is. I'll probably put a 12-15 degree back bevel on it so I have a "home-made scandi grind" kinda knife that should be plenty strong and light weight.

I know it won't win any beauty awards, but this knife is asking for a white pine handle. Very light weight. Maybe I can keep it near 2 oz when hafted?

@JR: About 3.5" handle/tang. Dunno about Bradford G3, wish I owned one.

@ kodai: About 6.5 O.A.L.

I have (I think) average sized hands, I buy size Large gloves. Sorry for the dirty fingernails, was gardening.
Attachments
IMG_2961.JPG
Last edited by Bolster on Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

... double ...
Knivesofaspyder

Post by Knivesofaspyder »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:12 pm
Yes, 'chonky' is a good word for it. I noticed in a BF thread (from years ago) that an employee of DLT offered someone a free regrind on another Ambush knife, but the cost would be no stonewash finish on the final product. (Unknown: the quality of work you'd get. Does a random DLT employee get the job of putting the knife to the belt sander...? I'm fully capable of ruining my own knives, thankyouverymuch.)

Please post pics of your scales when you get this done :) I'm thinking about buying one as a practice knife.

This strikes me as a very durable small blade, not so much a slicer (as sold) but more of a mini survival knife, able to take abuse at the blade, at least--not so sure about the tang, hollowed out as it is. I'll probably put a 12-15 degree back bevel on it so I have a "home-made scandi grind" kinda knife that should be plenty strong and light weight.

I know it won't win any beauty awards, but this knife is asking for a white pine handle. Very light weight. Maybe I can keep it near 2 oz when hafted?

I have (I think) average sized hands, I buy size Large gloves. Sorry for the dirty fingernails, was gardening.
Please post pics of your scales once you're done :) I'm thinking of buying one as a practice knife.
kodai78

Post by kodai78 »

I too would like to see what you come up with. I agree pine would keep the weight down but it isn’t very durable. Red cedar is light and strong.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

kodai78 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:56 pm
I too would like to see what you come up with. I agree pine would keep the weight down but it isn’t very durable. Red cedar is light and strong.

Hey, you're right! All the cedars come in around the 22-23 lbs/cu ft range, whereas white pine is 25. If cedar is stronger, I'll definitely give it a try! Thanks for the tip.
kodai78

Post by kodai78 »

In my limited experience it doesn’t split as easily as pine. I believe whale boats were made with cedar (think Moby Dick era). So it’s certainly strong.
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:12 pm

I just went to DLT site and seen this knife for under $50. The thing I find odd is that if you order the same knife with Paracord handle wrap. It jumps up almost another $30.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Josh1973 wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:57 pm

I just went to DLT site and seen this knife for under $50. The thing I find odd is that if you order the same knife with Paracord handle wrap. It jumps up almost another $30.

That puzzled me also until I saw that the paracord version comes with a leather sheath. I dunno why you'd want a leather sheath for such a lightweight knife, but, maybe?

Say, do you folks mind if we move this Ambush Sidekick discussion to the Off Topic section? I feel bad taking up Spyderco bandwidth for this. Let's reconvene here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=90212&p=1541490#p1541490
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 6.15.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 6.15.11 PM.png (29.78 KiB) Viewed 2795 times
Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 6.14.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 6.14.58 PM.png (25.9 KiB) Viewed 2795 times