Who got a Z-Max?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
z1r

Re: Who got a Z-Max?

Post by z1r »

Xplorer wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:25 am
Likely they will continue to be sold for high $$. I know that the Maxamet Mules sold for high $$ once they were sold out and I expect this one to be the same. When the market will command $150+ it just reminds me how thankful we should be to Sal and Spyderco for giving us such a great deal. :) :spyder:
Agreed. I feel very fortunate to have been lucky enough to acquire one.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The sad thing is is that the Mules were never meant to be collectibles, but us knife collectors are going to collect.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

JRinFL wrote: The sad thing is is that the Mules were never meant to be collectibles, but us knife collectors are going to collect.
The mule profile isnt exactly good and most of the times the mules really arent worth anything anyway. Theres nothing special about a cruwear or lc200n mule.

Maxamet and this Z-Max feel like the exception to me. Really nobody outside of a custom maker is going to try to work with this stuff or make a fixed blade out of it unless someone asked them to, and customs cost a good bit of money. So for me its part of the novelty, and it was cheap.

I think some people might think the same. Even at 2 to 3 times what spyderco charged, its probably the cheapest you could pick up a fixed blade in a material like this.

This is when the mule team makes sense to me. Supersteel fixed blade for super cheap in a material that your not likely to see outside of custom knives.

Conversely I didnt understand the hype around the s45vn mule at all.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

VoodooChild, I think Cruwear and LC200n have great properties that make those steels great fixed blade knives.
And regarding s45vn, JRinFl said it "...knife collectors are gonna collect."
Also, to standy99-don't you mean there's no money in "selling" what's not hot?
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

To me, LC200N is a super steel.
80% of the toughness of 3V. (32 vs 40 ft lbs)
Virtually rust free.
Decent edge holding.
Easy sharpening.
It is combination that will suit a lot of people’s needs and exceed most.
I am working on designing a thick stock custom camp Knife in LC200N that will take abuse and be impervious. I don’t see anything on the market that takes the full potential of the steel that a large camp knife would embody. I don’t see any steel like it. Vanax may cut more but it can’t handle any abuse and H1 won’t hold an edge as long as I would like.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Team Sick wrote: VoodooChild, I think Cruwear and LC200n have great properties that make those steels great fixed blade knives.
And regarding s45vn, JRinFl said it "...knife collectors are gonna collect."
I completely agree, which is why there are several fixed blades that you can get those steels in. Or you can even try making your own knife with those "more reasonable" steels.

I was saying, for me, Im not jumping on the mules in more "normal" steels. I would personally rather have a different design, or a custom, or even attempt to make my own knife.

However when it comes to maxamet/zmax and more exotic stuff, the mules make a lot more sense to me. No other production fixed blades have it, it would be a pain to try to make one yourself, a custom guy is going to charge a lot, and you can get a mule from spyderco for cheap.

I wasnt knocking cruwear or lc200n as fixed blade steels, theyre amazing for that. I was just saying I dont get the "hype" of getting a mule in a more "normal" steels when there are other options with those steels.
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

VoodooChild I get what you're saying about Cruwear/Lc200n/s45vn Mules. But, I bought a knife with s45vn before the Mule was available. I plan to test the hell out of it with different uses and sharpening techniques before attempting such feats with the knife I bought as the Mule was far less expensive. I bet the Z-Wear Mule will sell quickly also although that steel has been in production for a while too, (and it is virtually the same as Cruwear).
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

That is a good point. See how the steel sharpens with the tools you have so you don’t mess up a knife 5x the price.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Team Sick wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:07 pm

If there is no money in selling what’s not hot...buying what’s not hot is crazier :p
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Early mules were in new steels before they were more mainstream.

The lag was due to the gap from stopping to restarting so s45vn and SPY27 would have probably been before we saw it appear in folders.

For me being able to put a handle on a Spyderco Blank is the hobby I enjoy and love being a part of.
Maybe I will go the next step and make blades myself but baby steps for now is fun.

Have made a few friends from just sharing my scale build and have had plenty of encouragement and tips from members here.

To me all mules are worth honing my scale skill on.

And yes I got a Zmax :D :D
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
archangel

Post by archangel »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:22 pm
Conversely I didnt understand the hype around the s45vn mule at all.

This I did not understand either. There were/are other Spydies out in that steel, and tons more are to come. It must have been the price that made it sell out in no time. This, plus a feeling like "all the others did it with the last mule, so I need to do it this time, too". People need to question their motivation more thoroughly.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

All in all, I got to admit participating in the Mule Team is fun and an aspect of knife collecting that's unique to Spyderco. Love it!
PBWilson

Post by PBWilson »

I personally like the Mule design, even for steels that aren't the pinnacle of edge holding. I've been getting a good deal of use out of my CTS-XHP Mule and I like it for the high flat grind and for the acute point. With contoured scales, it locks into my hand.

I spent a number of years fumbling around with thick saber ground knives that were terribly blunt behind the edge and with points that were of no use other than breaking cinder blocks. This Mule design really works for me as a skillful cutting tool.

I can see that the handle kind of dictates one grip and might not work so well if you have huge mitts. I also don't care for the finger guard so much. It kinda gets in the way if you are using it as a kitchen knife against a cutting board. Minor issues really. The answer is to use a tool better suited for the job. I doubt that my produce or meat really need the carbides of a super steel anyway...
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear PBWilson:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Got mine today. It had a nice even grind out of the box but wasn't as sharp as I like so I gave it a few passes on the 1200 grit (3/2 micron) Venev stone and now it has a nice polished toothy tree topping edge. The steel feels "lively" compared to my PMA11 mule which has a heavier dense feel when sharpening.
-Turbo
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Well, I missed the S45 mule, but I would have bought two if I had had my act together (and been lucky enough). Not so much because I thought it was the hottest, latest steel -- but because I really do intend to start making handles like some of the artists have done in this group. There is nothing at all wrong with S45VN (or S30V for that matter) -- it will make a darn nice knife. Same for SPY27 (and I do have two of those to develop my handle making skills on).

Now Zmax is something else entirely -- A steel that pushes the envelope and will be interesting to learn about. It will be interesting to compare to my PMA11 mule (which I see right here) which has been one of my all time favorites. The steel that never needs to be sharpened.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Z-Max mule interests me because it trades some edge retention for more toughness. I hate a chippy blade but I will try to watch any lateral force on this.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Tucson Tom wrote: Well, I missed the S45 mule, but I would have bought two if I had had my act together (and been lucky enough). Not so much because I thought it was the hottest, latest steel -- but because I really do intend to start making handles like some of the artists have done in this group. There is nothing at all wrong with S45VN (or S30V for that matter) -- it will make a darn nice knife. Same for SPY27 (and I do have two of those to develop my handle making skills on).

Now Zmax is something else entirely -- A steel that pushes the envelope and will be interesting to learn about. It will be interesting to compare to my PMA11 mule (which I see right here) which has been one of my all time favorites. The steel that never needs to be sharpened.
I must admit when I said I didnt get the hype I forgot how cool it is to make your own handles.
My buddy is a wood worker and I have had him save me all his scrap wood. Gonna go pick through it in a day or two.

The more mules the merrier.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

This one is trying to get $200 for theirs.
Should I be glad that it will get into the hands of someone willing to pay $200 and be in a better home?

archangel

Post by archangel »

Mine already arrived at Germany. Is now at my "friends" of Customs.....
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...