Who got a Z-Max?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Fireman

Re: Who got a Z-Max?

Post by Fireman »

I am shocked it was $50
Thank you Sal and The Spyderco family for making these so affordable.
I think this may be a pocket or neck knife for me.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

It’s definitely not a hair popping sharp edge like other steels from Spyderco. Instead it’s a toothy edge reminiscent of maxamet.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

How did you get it so quickly?
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

I'm guessing in person, at the outlet.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Gtscotty wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:44 pm
I'm guessing in person, at the outlet.
Yes. F5, F5, F5 isn’t that fun compared to walking in a store and buying in person.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Missed out on this one as well.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Looks like this guy is trying to make a quick $125

izzoyournizzo

Post by izzoyournizzo »

I was able to snag one. I had a bolteron sheath in my cart but the transaction went through and didn't have the issue others had. Good on Spyderco for making it 1 per household, I would have bought a second as well if I could.

Hats off also to Sal for not gouging this as he easily could. Maybe he wants to get this steel in as many hands as possible to test before releasing it in a folder. I believe there has been steel of other mules that were never put into production/used for folders. I'd be interested to know what that process looks like to determine if a steel would be a good knife.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I wasn't able to get in. Refreshed and tried, but by the time I got my cart to check out it was out of stock. :(

Hopefully next time. :)

That one on eBay had to be an in person purchase. Flipper in Westminster Colorado walked into the SFO and bought one, then immediately put it on eBay.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:08 pm
I wasn't able to get in. Refreshed and tried, but by the time I got my cart to check out it was out of stock. :(

Hopefully next time. :)

That one on eBay had to be an in person purchase. Flipper in Westminster Colorado walked into the SFO and bought one, then immediately put it on eBay.
It's crazy how popular they've become the only one I've bought is the PD#1 and it was in stock for years.
It sucks that their being treated like sprints/exclusives now with the flippers.
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

archangel wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:30 am
Alexander135 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:19 am
They definitely sold out quickly. 17 minutes after release they are gone. I got one, fortunately.

They were actually gone in less than 12 minutes. I started to be really nervous when crappy google forms kept telling me it needs to verify me after I tried to use the STORED cc number. Then I re-entered it manually. When the following page loaded forever I already started swearing, figuring I missed my chance due to BS google forms... but the following page loaded eventually, and then I already heard the BING sound of my email app and saw the Order Confirmation mail actually before the Order Was Completed page loaded. :cool: Puh....

It was a new cc so there was a risk that something could go wrong. Thank goodness it didn't.... ;)
Yep, was able to get one in my cart at 0911 and by the end of check out @ 0912 they were gone. Silly work.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Soooooo someone bought that ebay Z-Max mule at $175. The listing is gone already. I guess that won’t be the last one but seeing it go so high and fast makes me grateful for the low selling cost.
attila

Post by attila »

I’m ecstatic that I managed to get one, because I stayed up 3-4 extra hours during my night shift sleep time for it. No worries, as it’s my last night on this shift, we have nothing to do tonight, and there’s coffee aplenty!

While I waited for 11am EST, I further justified the sacrificed sleep time by repairing/reinstalling my microwave, mowing the lawn, and shipping a couple of knives that I sold. :cool:

During the drop, it took me 8 of the <12 minutes to complete checkout. A minute or two in, the product page didn’t show available, then I had an unresponsive server error, followed by accidentally pressing “update cart” instead of “checkout”. All of this was with very long page loading times. I had my doubts, but it was totally worth it. :D :spyder:

This will be my fourth Mule and the only blade of mine in the realm of Maxamet’s wear resistance.

Thanks, Sal and Kristi!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Fireman wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:39 pm
Looks like this guy is trying to make a quick $125

That flipper is really fast :D
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

Unfortunately, people will buy what the "Flippers" are selling, which perpetuates the cycle.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Team Sick wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:04 am
Unfortunately, people will buy what the "Flippers" are selling, which perpetuates the cycle.
Flippers buy what people want...no money in buying what’s not hot...
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
archangel

Post by archangel »

My order was shipped out, too. A big milestone. Now the new cc has for sure not failed its purpose... :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

it will be interesting to see what they go for on Ebay in a few days when they get shipped. there is an established $175 value now with one going quickly. I am keeping mine for sure.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

The great sign is there is good demand and Spyderco could potentially up their production like they intend to do so that more steel nerds and Spyderco aficionados can get a hold of them but it looks like some of the values of the lower production ones would be pretty high for the foreseeable future. Maybe Spyderco could pick certain users who we know will give feedback and number those so that we know that they will be put to the intended purpose of feedback for Spyderco.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Likely they will continue to be sold for high $$. I know that the Maxamet Mules sold for high $$ once they were sold out and I expect this one to be the same. When the market will command $150+ it just reminds me how thankful we should be to Sal and Spyderco for giving us such a great deal. :) :spyder:
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.