Short handle mule

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Fireman

Short handle mule

Post by Fireman »

Has anyone made a short handle mule by rounding off the handle after the 3rd large hole from the blade? The third large hole would be the lanyard tube hole. I was thinking this could make the knife more compact for a neck knife or for an in pocket EDC fixed. This could get the OAL down to around 6.5”

:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
JRinFL

Re: Short handle mule

Post by JRinFL »

I thought Bolster had done a shorter version?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Not quite as short as you are asking, however: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=89123

Edit found one that is much shorter: viewtopic.php?p=719768#p719768
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Thanks!

It looks like he did similar to what I mentioned. Looks great. A slim handle would make a great neck knife. Where I suggested would make it even shorter.

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

A different hole pattern than the previous pic.

archangel

Post by archangel »

Fireman wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 1:30 pm

I like how this looks! I'd get me one of these if they was a production version.

Sal, you think this is interesting, too?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I think a sheath with a clip could make this a pocketable fixed EDC.
Name for this?
Pony?
Donkey?
Burro?
Chupacabra?
Wolverine?
weasel?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Due to the concept of the Mule program, I don’t think they will expand it beyond this pattern. An all new production model would be cool, but the upcoming Perrin Bowie might occupy the same market segment of this potential new knife model.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

The standard Mule tangs are a little mucho for me, too, and I don't want to carry extra steel I don't need. But the Mule tangs are easier to modify than it looks. All those holes mean you just cut from hole to hole.

While I have a bench mounted 4.5 inch "chop" grinder with cutoff wheel, I found that a Foredom (or Dremel) with a small cutoff wheel works better. It's slower, but it cuts cooler, and with a thinner kerf. I still wrap the blade in a damp cool cloth and keep track of the temp while cutting with a laser thermo, but temps have never gotten much over 80 degrees near the finger guard, so loss of temper hasn't been a concern.

I say: cut the handle to your heart's content, make it what you want it to be. Attached are some photos I've clipped and saved. They're not mine, and sadly, I didn't record whose they are. If they are yours may I please have permission to post? Some were ebay photos, and given the amount of grinding that went into them, I wouldn't buy...I've no idea if they were careful about temps.

If I were to do a three-finger grip like the "shorty" pictured above, which is really cool lookin, I'd reduce the height of the handle and make certain that the butt curved down, rather than a symmetrical parabola at the butt. But that's just me. I think I like that modified thumb ramp? Would need to try it in person...
Attachments
Handle cut.jpg
Handle trim cut 2.png
Handle trim cut.png
Handle trimmed.JPG
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Personally, I find the Mule handle at the low end of useable as is. Any shorter would make it a paperweight for me.
archangel

Post by archangel »

If only I had the equipment. But I'm lacking the space and the funds to do this.

Can't say that I have the mentioned Perrin Bowie memorized, but I doubt it would be as slim and light as you could make a shortened mule. True neck knife format. Or am I wrong?
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Michael,

I think it's interesting. Fireman's suggestion seems to have a few that agree. I don't think we would want to make another smaller Mule at this time. We're just to busy with what we have going. Maybe one of you that has the equipment could do it as a service, for a fee, and everyone that wanted it modified could get just what they want?

sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

Thanks for chiming in, Sal. I understand the situation.

Anyone who would be willing to shorten a mule and eliminate the finger guard for one of my mules, please PM me. It would of course be remunerated. :)
Michael
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm honestly pretty happy with the current handle shape. But I bet bolster could do a thriving business in handle mods if he wanted to. :)
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Some name inspiration

A mule is. A mule is the offspring of a male donkey (a jack) and a female horse (a mare). A horse has 64 chromosomes, and a donkey has 62. The mule ends up with 63. Mules can be either male or female, but, because of the odd number of chromosomes, they can’t reproduce. However, a male mule should be gelded in order to make him a safe and sociable animal.

Donkeys and Burros are horse-like animals usually used for load lifting purposes. They belong to the family Equidae, genus Equus. There can be various sub-types and breed of donkeys. A Burro is a special kind of donkey, that is smaller in size and has extra hair. While most donkeys are domestic, burros are usually wild.

What do you think about giving this project the name Burro? Donkey? Small and wild and half of a mule.

Moving along, does anyone feel up to providing a burro service?

PS Fun fact. Burrito means “Little burro” so when you order a burrito to eat, you are asking for a small donkey lol.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

archangel wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 10:30 am
Thanks for chiming in, Sal. I understand the situation.

Anyone who would be willing to shorten a mule and eliminate the finger guard for one of my mules, please PM me. It would of course be remunerated. :)
Hacksaw and a file and a good prison escape movie will have it done yourself ;)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 11:04 am
I'm honestly pretty happy with the current handle shape. But I bet bolster could do a thriving business in handle mods if he wanted to. :)

Ha ha. Thanks Tom, for the career advice. While I'm inclined to be helpful, I don't have the self-confidence to work on anybody else's knife. I'm new at this and learning as I go. The only service I can offer currently is that if you send me your Mule, I will likely ruin it.

That said: Having been through it, the handle mod is not a big barrier, not terribly difficult. If you don't have a Dremel, buy one, everyone needs a Dremel. Then using a cutoff disc, cut from hole to hole. If you use pins and epoxy, then files and sandpaper and a coping saw can get the job done for you. You can buy scale material at the thickness you want, so no re-sawing for thickness is necessary. Honestly, the entrance fee to a handle-modded mule is quite low; you don't need a mill or a belt grinder (they just make it easier).

Just make sure to keep the blade cool...!

Given how easy it is to mod the shape of the tang, I don't see a need for S-co to make any changes to the current Mule design, but it would be nice if they'd consider some additional neck knives. That would be cool.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Bolster wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 2:00 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 11:04 am

Ha ha. Thanks Tom, for the career advice. While I'm inclined to be helpful, I don't have the self-confidence to work on anybody else's knife. I'm new at this and learning as I go. The only service I can offer currently is that if you send me your Mule, I will likely ruin it.

That said: Having been through it, the handle mod is not a big barrier, not terribly difficult. If you don't have a Dremel, buy one, everyone needs a Dremel. Then using a cutoff disc, cut from hole to hole. If you use pins and epoxy, then files and sandpaper and a coping saw can get the job done for you. You can buy scale material at the thickness you want, so no re-sawing for thickness is necessary. Honestly, the entrance fee to a handle-modded mule is quite low; you don't need a mill or a belt grinder (they just make it easier).

Just make sure to keep the blade cool...!

Given how easy it is to mod the shape of the tang, I don't see a need for S-co to make any changes to the current Mule design, but it would be nice if they'd consider some additional neck knives. That would be cool.

About using a Dremel: which bit or disc or whatever you call it should be used to "cut" steel, and which disc is good to grind off e.g. the index finger guard? I do own a Dremel tool. What I'm lacking is a fixture tool, which I think is necessary to rework a mule - or isn't it? Anyway, whoever has experience, please post the item names / numbers, or links to the bits / discs on eBay as an example.

I might want to get a straight spine SPY27 mule (if I like the looks of the blade) and make it a short version neck knife kind of mule.
Michael
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

archangel wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:02 am

About using a Dremel: which bit or disc or whatever you call it should be used to "cut" steel, and which disc is good to grind off e.g. the index finger guard? I do own a Dremel tool. What I'm lacking is a fixture tool, which I think is necessary to rework a mule - or isn't it? Anyway, whoever has experience, please post the item names / numbers, or links to the bits / discs on eBay as an example.

I might want to get a straight spine SPY27 mule (if I like the looks of the blade) and make it a short version neck knife kind of mule.

https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-426-Fiber ... 10&sr=8-17

I use the "resin cutting discs" similar to those above. I'd "cut" (technically, a very narrow grind not actually a cut) the guard rather than just sand/large-disc-grind it off. It seems the very narrow cutoff wheels cut fairly cool if you take it slow. (Again, wrap your blade in a wet washcloth during the procedure.)

What is a fixture tool? A way to hold the blade? Do you have a vice? With few tools, I'd clamp the blade between two thin blocks of wood for protection of the blade. Absent a vice, then clamps on a tabletop.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Language barriers :eek:

I think I could indeed clamp the mule to a tabletop with the area to be worked on "hanging free". I don't have a vice (it's the word I was looking for). Yet. I've seen that you can get reasonably good ones for as little as 40 bucks - might be a good investment.

Anyway, thanks!!
Michael