Tips for Purchasing a Mule Team!

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Evil D

Re: Tips for Purchasing a Mule Team!

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:08 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:04 am
You guys think buying limited knives are hard? Try buying a video card these days. I tried with a release yesterday, I literally didn't even SEE them in stock anywhere, they were "announced" as out of stock the instant they hit websites. Then minutes later they're all on eBay for 3x MSRP.
Only if you want the latest and greatest. The flippers have EVERY market covered now, from shoes to video cards to knives. It does not matter what the item is, as they scour social media and enthusiast boards to find out the latest hotness.

Well right now there's apparently a "global chip shortage" so they're not even getting stock for the last gen cards anymore so unless you want something that's so low end nobody else wants it, it's near impossible to buy a good card right now.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Jefke wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:16 pm
Do you see any other way I could make a payment? I really hope so because otherwise this will be the third mule I will miss :mad:
This whole experience is getting really frustrating for me. This has been going on for several months now (at least since the seconds sale) and nobody I talk to can fix it.

I hope I don't have to resort to ebay for a chance on getting MT29.
It's probably maybe not the same issue but I have to use my Visa debit card. Spyderco.com won't accept my Mastercard credit card.
•• Beau
Jefke

Post by Jefke »

TazKristi wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:39 am
Hi, Jefke:
I'm sorry, I don't have a great answer for you. I know we have other customers from your country who successfully purchase through our website. I'm honestly not aware of a website that has the ability to read the chip on your card - that typically requires the card and an appropriate terminal to read it.

Kristi, we do that all the time here and I have done that recently on an American website. We use this little device:
It works like this: the website I order from gives two numbers that I need to enter into this device, then I need to enter my pin code and then this device shows a number that I have to enter on the website. This way the company validating the transaction can validate that I actually have the card in my hand, instead of some random guy who happens to have the my card number, name etc.

If people from my country are successfully purchasing from the Spyderco website, then I'd like to know where they got their card. But I guess you can't answer that. I anyone from Belgium can order from the Spyderco website, please let me know where you got your credit card.

TazKristi wrote:
The only alternative that I can think of would be for you to get a Visa or Mastercard gift card that you can use for online purchases.
I didn't know about these gift cards. I ordered one and tried to pay with it. Same result, transaction declined.

TazKristi wrote:
Unfortunately, there is no higher security that we can implement, and unfortunately, to my knowledge, you are the only person experiencing this issue. I'm sorry, but I do believe it is an issue with your card company. Hopefully, they or your bank can give you an option that will work online.
This is the frustrating part. Both Spyderco and the card company say: it's not our fault, talk to the other party. In the meantime I'm no closer to a solution. I have no idea what to try next.

It's ridiculous that I can't pay, don't you think? Can't we figure out another way, like a money transfer or something?
Jefke

Post by Jefke »

Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:01 am
It's probably maybe not the same issue but I have to use my Visa debit card. Spyderco.com won't accept my Mastercard credit card.
Hey Buddafucco, we may never know if it's the same issue. I also considered getting a visa card, but I think it's likely this wont work either and in my opinion it's a bit silly to get another card just to able to order from one company. Never mind that it's impossible to get the card in my hand by next Tuesday.
ArnAnders89

Post by ArnAnders89 »

Jefke wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:02 pm
TazKristi wrote:
Hi, Jefke:
I'm sorry, I don't have a great answer for you. I know we have other customers from your country who successfully purchase through our website. I'm honestly not aware of a website that has the ability to read the chip on your card - that typically requires the card and an appropriate terminal to read it.

Kristi, we do that all the time here and I have done that recently on an American website. We use this little device:
It works like this: the website I order from gives two numbers that I need to enter into this device, then I need to enter my pin code and then this device shows a number that I have to enter on the website. This way the company validating the transaction can validate that I actually have the card in my hand, instead of some random guy who happens to have the my card number, name etc.

If people from my country are successfully purchasing from the Spyderco website, then I'd like to know where they got their card. But I guess you can't answer that. I anyone from Belgium can order from the Spyderco website, please let me know where you got your credit card.

TazKristi wrote:
The only alternative that I can think of would be for you to get a Visa or Mastercard gift card that you can use for online purchases.
I didn't know about these gift cards. I ordered one and tried to pay with it. Same result, transaction declined.

TazKristi wrote:
Unfortunately, there is no higher security that we can implement, and unfortunately, to my knowledge, you are the only person experiencing this issue. I'm sorry, but I do believe it is an issue with your card company. Hopefully, they or your bank can give you an option that will work online.
This is the frustrating part. Both Spyderco and the card company say: it's not our fault, talk to the other party. In the meantime I'm no closer to a solution. I have no idea what to try next.

It's ridiculous that I can't pay, don't you think? Can't we figure out another way, like a money transfer or something?
I’m sure there is something you could do on your end to make the prepaid gift Visa card work. Check your settings, try different browser, try private browser, different device/computer, VPN etc
You can’t expect spyderco to get these devices or completely change there POS system because you complained and cried about it. Where there’s a will there’s a way
Last edited by ArnAnders89 on Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArnAnders89

Post by ArnAnders89 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:49 am
JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:08 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:04 am
You guys think buying limited knives are hard? Try buying a video card these days. I tried with a release yesterday, I literally didn't even SEE them in stock anywhere, they were "announced" as out of stock the instant they hit websites. Then minutes later they're all on eBay for 3x MSRP.
Only if you want the latest and greatest. The flippers have EVERY market covered now, from shoes to video cards to knives. It does not matter what the item is, as they scour social media and enthusiast boards to find out the latest hotness.

Well right now there's apparently a "global chip shortage" so they're not even getting stock for the last gen cards anymore so unless you want something that's so low end nobody else wants it, it's near impossible to buy a good card right now.
I heard about this the other day when I was talking with a friend about building a new pc. I was wondering how is it that computer manufacturers are still able to be producing computers with these video cards in them? Maybe they have deals with card makers?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ArnAnders89 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:47 am

I heard about this the other day when I was talking with a friend about building a new pc. I was wondering how is it that computer manufacturers are still able to be producing computers with these video cards in them? Maybe they have deals with card makers?

Has to be something like that. It's at a point where it's smarter to buy the prebuilt PC with the card you want and either upgrade it all or swap the card out and sell the rest for whatever you can get back. People are selling them for $2500+ on eBay and what's amazing is people are actually paying double MSRP. I'm just not that desperate. The longer I wait to upgrade the better card I'll get, it'll be next generation at this point.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ArnAnders89

Post by ArnAnders89 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:59 am
ArnAnders89 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:47 am

Has to be something like that. It's at a point where it's smarter to buy the prebuilt PC with the card you want and either upgrade it all or swap the card out and sell the rest for whatever you can get back. People are selling them for $2500+ on eBay and what's amazing is people are actually paying double MSRP. I'm just not that desperate. The longer I wait to upgrade the better card I'll get, it'll be next generation at this point.

I don’t get how people can do that! Same thing is going on with Sim Racing gear, not quite double yet but close to it for used equipment. It’s really kind of stable because the price for used equipment starting getting more expensive than new product while you could still find new product on manufacture websites, I think maybe that had to do with other countries sources being out of stock or something. But there was/is just not very many used products on the market so they go for ridiculous prices