First crack at 3d printed Mule Scales

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Gtscotty

Re: First crack at 3d printed Mule Scales

Post by Gtscotty »

I tried the textured scales with both filled in and hollow hexagons, and different feature prominences, and I think I like the filled in better. The hollow hex texture has more nozzle lifts and so more chances for stringing and errors on the small features. Quality will depend on your printer and settings of course, but I'm no expert and I think they printed decently on my machine.

A little post processing helps with the textured scales. Run over the surface of the scales VERY lightly and quickly with a torch to melt strings and sharp points. Scuff the textured surface lightly with sandpaper (I used 400 grit) to take any remaining retraction points off then another very light pass with the torch to get rid of the white scuff marks and you're done.

I'll put both types of texturing up so folks can choose.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Awesome! Thanks for doing this!
"Some call me...Tim?"
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Thank for posting this and making the code available! These look great.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Impressive!
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Kloeshuman

Post by Kloeshuman »

Gtscotty wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:30 am
I tried the textured scales with both filled in and hollow hexagons, and different feature prominences, and I think I like the filled in better. The hollow hex texture has more nozzle lifts and so more chances for stringing and errors on the small features. Quality will depend on your printer and settings of course, but I'm no expert and I think they printed decently on my machine.

A little post processing helps with the textured scales. Run over the surface of the scales VERY lightly and quickly with a torch to melt strings and sharp points. Scuff the textured surface lightly with sandpaper (I used 400 grit) to take any remaining retraction points off then another very light pass with the torch to get rid of the white scuff marks and you're done.

I'll put both types of texturing up so folks can choose.
I love those! Great job
Rwstubbz

Post by Rwstubbz »

Those look awesome. I can't wait to get a 3d printer at some point and mess around with it. Well done, I'm impressed and inspired.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Look at me now!!!
The hidden lanyard hole works like a charm and unobtrusive.
The hidden lanyard with a tight lanyard will be ideal for removing from a deep leather sheath.
Last edited by Fireman on Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Gtscotty wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:30 am
I tried the textured scales...

Phenomenal! Very impressed with your work, man.

I can imagine your hexes being the perfect balance of grippy and comfortable.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Fireman wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:18 pm
Look at me now!!!
The hidden lanyard with a tight lanyard will be ideal for removing from a deep leather sheath.
Looking good! I need to re-do my lanyard so that is tighter to the handle like that.
attila

Post by attila »

Fireman wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:18 pm
Look at me now!!!
Did you just carve out the scale to create the hidden lanyard recess, or is there a printable version available?

Since I have no CAD skills, I was waiting on the hidden lanyard hole stl, ideally one with a surface pattern, so that a buddy can print it for me.

Thanks!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Gtscotty printed those. I am not sure if he posted those patterns
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Fireman wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:02 pm
Gtscotty printed those. I am not sure if he posted those patterns
Not yet, I've been remiss, I'll put up a Thingiverse link soon with the lanyard cutout and smooth and textured surface options.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

I uploaded the files to Thingiverse for the lanyard hole scales in three textures: smooth, solid hex and outline hex.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4902549
Ilocano73

Post by Ilocano73 »

Thanks Gtscotty for the scales designs. I don't have the proper hardware yet but too excited not to put a handle on my 1st mule. Since I did not have the proper nut, used the through hole by printing a mirror of the other plate.
Attachments
IMG_3961.jpeg
IMG_3960.jpeg
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Ilocano73 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:40 am
Thanks Gtscotty for the scales designs. I don't have the proper hardware yet but too excited not to put a handle on my 1st mule. Since I did not have the proper nut, used the through hole by printing a mirror of the other plate.
Looks good, I really like that dark blue. What filament did you use?
Ilocano73

Post by Ilocano73 »

I used a Hatchbox PLA. Do not remember if there was a special name for that blue.
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

Ok, what a rabbit hole this has been. Not only have I successfully printed a half dozen sets of scales I have also printed a couple vases and jewelry stands for my wife, numerous toys for my daughter as well as designed and printed my own modular gpu mining system and a full size one piece Mandalorian helmet!

I have tried a couple different versions of the scales out of a few different materials but they all seem to show a fairly prominent stripe down the center from the last few layers. This happens on all the designs with all the different filaments but is most noticeable on the recent silk gold pla set I just did.

Any tips to avoid or reduce this center "skunk" stripe seen here?
20210903_202045.jpg
20210903_202104.jpg
20210903_202130.jpg
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Nice! You've been seduced by the ability to make anything you can think up a physical reality! (in plastic anyway).

I'm not sure if it's the same on your scales or not (looks like it in the pictures), but that stripe on mine follows the apex of the swept curve along it's path. It's the lowest sloped portion of the curve, so the layer steps are wider and look a little different. You might be able to reduce the visual effect by printing lower layer heights if it bothers you.

Have you uploaded those scales to Thingiverse? I like the patterns, especially the 3d cube pattern and it would be neat to give them a try.

Also, do you have any pics of the modular mining setup and helmet? Those sound pretty cool.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Gtscotty wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:39 pm
Nice! You've been seduced by the ability to make anything you can think up a physical reality! (in plastic anyway).

I'm not sure if it's the same on your scales or not (looks like it in the pictures), but that stripe on mine follows the apex of the swept curve along it's path. It's the lowest sloped portion of the curve, so the layer steps are wider and look a little different. You might be able to reduce the visual effect by printing lower layer heights if it bothers you.

Have you uploaded those scales to Thingiverse? I like the patterns, especially the 3d cube pattern and it would be neat to give them a try.

Also, do you have any pics of the modular mining setup and helmet? Those sound pretty cool.
Those look like my scales here https://www.thingiverse.com/hidethecookies/designs. Looks like we need one thread for 3d printed scales :smirk .
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote: Those look like my scales here https://www.thingiverse.com/hidethecookies/designs. Looks like we need one thread for 3d printed scales :smirk .
Yupp. Those are your Scale designs. I'm just learning printing and basic design so it is great to have those stl files to help learn with!
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com