First crack at 3d printed Mule Scales

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
JRinFL

Re: First crack at 3d printed Mule Scales

Post by JRinFL »

Gtscotty wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 9:36 pm
Ok, I just posted my V2 scales up on Thingiverse, they have a bit more slope on the spine side and more chamfer all around, they feel pretty comfortable to me. ...
Thank you for posting these for the community. This might be my first 3d print, once I get the printer setup.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Fireman wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 11:49 pm
It looks amazing! Great job! What do they cost to produce? All it needs is a lanyard hole for the deep cary leather sheath :D
Thanks, just in terms of materials and hardware, ~$0.70.

I've never really understood the use case of lanyards on knives, but in this case I can see how it'd be useful for removing the knife from this deep sheath. It should be simple to pull off, where would be the best location?

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Due to compactness of the handle and the position of the holes, a hidden lanyard hole at position “C” like the one below would be best for most people. It would not get in the way or create any hot spots. It would need to be large enough to feed 550 paracord in and make the turn with the back of the cut away guiding the cord into the hole. I would make the cutaway as round and smooth as possible. I will take a pair of scales for my design consultation fee :D

:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Fireman wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:18 am
Due to compactness of the handle and the position of the holes, a hidden lanyard hole at position “C” like the one below would be best for most people.

That's an excellent suggestion; will keep this hidden hole technique in mind on my scales. Thanks for bringing this up.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I think it will make a good scale you made even better and if you don’t use it, it will not affect the user.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Fireman wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:13 pm
I think it will make a good scale you made even better and if you don’t use it, it will not affect the user.
I agree, I'm planning on making a version of the scales with an arching hole there optimized for printing, I just having gotten around to it yet.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Nice work! I started a thread dedicated to spyderco related 3d printing:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89920
"Some call me...Tim?"
attila

Post by attila »

I’m thinking about getting a friend to print me the V2 scales to try out, but I’m unsure of one detail. May I have a look at the inside of the embedded-nuts scale?

I can’t tell if the design somehow require the nuts to be printed around (this is what I understand by “embedded”), or if there are holes and slots to allow for nut installation after printing.

Thanks!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Someone needs to design backspaces for endura delica endela line up
"Some call me...Tim?"
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Backspacers and other items are already available on Thingverse.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

attila wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:56 am
I’m thinking about getting a friend to print me the V2 scales to try out, but I’m unsure of one detail. May I have a look at the inside of the embedded-nuts scale?

I can’t tell if the design somehow require the nuts to be printed around (this is what I understand by “embedded”), or if there are holes and slots to allow for nut installation after printing.

Thanks!
It's the first one, except the nuts are printed over instead of printed around. I thought about using slots so nuts could be dropped in after printing, but looking at the size and location where the slots would need to be, I decided it would make the scales quite uncomfortable.

Here's a cross section from Fusion 360, basically you place a pause command in the G-code so that the printer pauses after the last layer before the hex slot gets covered up. You drop the four hex nuts in place, un-pause the printer and they get sealed into their spots.

Inserting the pause is super easy in PrusaSlicer and not difficult even if you have to do it manually.

Haven't done the lanyard scales yet, work and family stuff keeps skipping ahead.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Thanks for making the code. I need to find someone who can do this for me. I don’t have access to a printer. So, things needed are the screws, knife and then you are ready?
attila

Post by attila »

Gtscotty wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:33 am
attila wrote:

Thanks!
It's the first one, except the nuts are printed over instead of printed around. I thought about using slots so nuts could be dropped in after printing, but looking at the size and location where the slots would need to be, I decided it would make the scales quite uncomfortable.

Here's a cross section from Fusion 360, basically you place a pause command in the G-code so that the printer pauses after the last layer before the hex slot gets covered up. You drop the four hex nuts in place, un-pause the printer and they get sealed into their spots.

Inserting the pause is super easy in PrusaSlicer and not difficult even if you have to do it manually.

Haven't done the lanyard scales yet, work and family stuff keeps skipping ahead.
Excellent!

And, what height and hex size are the cavities that the nuts will sit in? When looking up ordering options on McMaster, options are 5.5mm, ~6.9mm, and 9mm.
I am also considering using #8 hardware, since I already have some of that.

Thanks again.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Took more fiddling than I thought, but I made a lanyard slot version of the scales:

I'll need to print a set and check fit to make sure I hit the hole correctly. I think it should print pretty well with the 60 degree angles minimizing overhangs.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

attila wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:20 am
Gtscotty wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:33 am
attila wrote:

Thanks!

Excellent!

And, what height and hex size are the cavities that the nuts will sit in? When looking up ordering options on McMaster, options are 5.5mm, ~6.9mm, and 9mm.
I am also considering using #8 hardware, since I already have some of that.

Thanks again.
The nut slots, holes and recesses are sized for M4 nuts and M4x12 button head socket cap screws. I would not expect other sizes to work. Here is the pack I bought off of Amazon, plenty of other sizes for other projects:

https://www.amazon.com/Sutemribor-240Pc ... 74&sr=8-16
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Now we are talking!
Those scales will be the knees of bees.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Ok, a couple of abbreviated test prints to refine the hole location and the lanyard version of the scales are done. You have to tie the lanyard on and then mount the scales because there isn't a lot of extra room, but I think that's the only way to keep it unobtrusive.

I'll probably move the knot closer to the handle, but it does make quickly drawing the knife from the deep leather sheath easier.

A little trial and error and I think I have figured out how to get surface texture on the unchamfered portion of the scales. I'll do a test print to see how the printer handles these small features, but I think this is going to work.

Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Gtscotty wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:35 pm

A little trial and error and I think I have figured out how to get surface texture on the unchamfered portion of the scales. I'll do a test print to see how the printer handles these small features, but I think this is going to work.
The texturing looks awesome! I'm currently working on a ball cage for the Q-ball. I have test print running now to see if it will work. I need to get more resin before I start messing with my Manix 2 LW project again.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Fantastic result with the hidden lanyard hole!
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Forgot to mention, but out of curiosity I weighed the scales, and with 30% gyroid infill and all the hardware they come out to 1.1 oz (31.3 g).