First crack at 3d printed Mule Scales

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Josh Crutchley

Re: First crack at 3d printed Mule Scales

Post by Josh Crutchley »

FullScaler wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:09 pm

Yupp. Those are your Scale designs. I'm just learning printing and basic design so it is great to have those stl files to help learn with!
Not really sure why you're getting the stripe, I don't think it is anything I'm doing with the model. Going by your prints your machine needs some tweaking. In your picture the top scales pattern looks smashed down. The middle scale was tested with a resin printer the hole pattern turned out flawless. I've seen some FDM printers pull off amazing detail so maybe it's machine or software setup holding you back. I wish I knew more about that kind of stuff never know might be an easy fix. Good luck let us know how it goes.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

From the outside looking in it appears as though 3d printed Mule Scales are exponentially less toxic than working with resin and wood scales. The more you guys post, the more I feel a need by a 3d printer. All your work looks great.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

Printed up a couple sets in silver that look sweet. I just need to get my hands on the proper hardware to get them all mounted up. Gonna hit them with s quick sweep of the torch to smooth and blend things up a bit.

Also, a pic of the full size Mando helmet I recently printed.
20210911_181408.jpg
20210909_195128.jpg
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Nice variety! That Mando helmet looks awesome.
Burningcort

Post by Burningcort »

FullScaler wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:41 pm
Printed up a couple sets in silver that look sweet. I just need to get my hands on the proper hardware to get them all mounted up. Gonna hit them with s quick sweep of the torch to smooth and blend things up a bit.

Also, a pic of the full size Mando helmet I recently printed.

20210911_181408.jpg

20210909_195128.jpg
For this style where would you get your hardware from?
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

WOW!

Sooooooooooo, what are you going to name your scale/handle company? You looking for employees? ;) Can I get some merch to show my pride and dedication to your awesome products?
You should never have to ask yourself "do i really need another knife?" The answer is obvious...
Xayaza

Post by Xayaza »

You guys are making me want to get back into 3D printing. Gonna have to dust off my Prusa and fire up Fusion360. I think i'll prototype with PLA, then use PETG and finally move onto NylonX Carbon Fiber. Maybe this will motivate me to really learn Fusion this time!
Burningcort

Post by Burningcort »

Printed some scales for the Magnacut mule I was lucky enough to get.

Got it off Thngiverse I am assuming it was from one of the poster here,
mulescale1 (2).jpg
mulescale2 (2).jpg
mulescale3.jpg
mulescales4.jpg
mulescales5.jpg
Xayaza

Post by Xayaza »

Just printed my scales out of PETG and they turned out great. Thanks Gtscotty! Though I have the G10 scales waiting, it was nice to recalibrate my printer.
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

Careful, it is addicting once you get into it!.. :winking-tongue
20211208_203904.jpg

bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Burningcort wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:07 pm
FullScaler wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:41 pm
For this style where would you get your hardware from?
I used hardware from https://www.halperntitanium.com/spyderco-handles/
-Turbo
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 6:44 pm
Very nice! I've thought about designing some scales but I don't really see it as an upgrade to what I already have. Mule scales makes sense though

I have an Ender 3 (with some upgrades) running right next to me at the moment. I have a CR-10S Pro behind me and another one in the garage. I actually started with a Monoprice Mini Delta (now up in the attic). I ran that for a few months and then bought a CR-10S Pro. I got the Ender on sale for a bargain and it's been a workhorse for me. I've designed some parts that I sell and the Ender's running almost every day to keep my inventory stocked.
My brother has the exact same model. I'm gonna contact him this week-end to see how we could make a special handle for my first. Otherwise, he has a resin printer but I do not know this, and since it's not mine I can't play with it as much as I would want !

PS : I'll also use some wood and G10 to try and see how it looks.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Ramonade wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:03 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 6:44 pm
Very nice! I've thought about designing some scales but I don't really see it as an upgrade to what I already have. Mule scales makes sense though

I have an Ender 3 (with some upgrades) running right next to me at the moment. I have a CR-10S Pro behind me and another one in the garage. I actually started with a Monoprice Mini Delta (now up in the attic). I ran that for a few months and then bought a CR-10S Pro. I got the Ender on sale for a bargain and it's been a workhorse for me. I've designed some parts that I sell and the Ender's running almost every day to keep my inventory stocked.
My brother has the exact same model. I'm gonna contact him this week-end to see how we could make a special handle for my first. Otherwise, he has a resin printer but I do not know this, and since it's not mine I can't play with it as much as I would want !

PS : I'll also use some wood and G10 to try and see how it looks.
Cool! I just got another Ender 3 (Pro) on a special deal from a store here called Micro Center. $100 for the machine I couldn't pass it up. Plus I already have a new board, touch screen, ABL probe, and some other things for it. I think this one will be even more heavily modded than my other one. They're great little machines for the price

I did this on one of my bigger machines a couple weeks ago.

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Chleiti

Post by Chleiti »

That dragon looks amazing!

My local library has a makerspace with 3d printers that will take orders- you send them the link to the files and pay for materials, they print the thing for you. I'd like to try to get these scales ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4908064) made but I don't know enough to know how to place the order correctly.

The request form lets you choose your preferred printer (Lulzbot, Makerbot, or Ultimaker) and there's a free space to give any other information like detail level, scale, infill percentage, or supports. The only info/option for filament is choosing your color.

Can anyone advise if this is a viable option and if so, what printer to choose or instructions to give? Thanks!
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

Chleiti wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:28 pm

My local library has a makerspace with 3d printers that will take orders- you send them the link to the files and pay for materials, they print the thing for you. I'd like to try to get these scales ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4908064) made but I don't know enough to know how to place the order correctly.

The request form lets you choose your preferred printer (Lulzbot, Makerbot, or Ultimaker) and there's a free space to give any other information like detail level, scale, infill percentage, or supports. The only info/option for filament is choosing your color.

Can anyone advise if this is a viable option and if so, what printer to choose or instructions to give? Thanks!
That isn't my stl file ( it's JoshCrutchley's here) but I printed the green scales in the pictures on Thingiverse. Those ones are printed on a resin printer. Flat on the build plate, no support, solid.

I also have printed that same stl in many different colors of pla filament on my fdm printer like the ones you listed above. If you go that way, I would advise asking for a 0.2mm nozzle if they allow. Couple that with a 0.1 or 0.066mm layer height gives pretty good results as far as resolution and detail. Printing that file with a standatd 0.4mm nozzle is a bit big for the detailed surface texture.

Chleiti

Post by Chleiti »

FullScaler wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:14 pm
Chleiti wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:28 pm

That isn't my stl file ( it's JoshCrutchley's here) but I printed the green scales in the pictures on Thingiverse. Those ones are printed on a resin printer. Flat on the build plate, no support, solid.

I also have printed that same stl in many different colors of pla filament on my fdm printer like the ones you listed above. If you go that way, I would advise asking for a 0.2mm nozzle if they allow. Couple that with a 0.1 or 0.066mm layer height gives pretty good results as far as resolution and detail. Printing that file with a standatd 0.4mm nozzle is a bit big for the detailed surface texture.
Sounds good, thanks very much.
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

Fresh off the printer! A new set of glow in the dark green scales. Soon to come, glow blue!

Tough to get good glow pics but I'll grab some better pics once I get them mounted.

20211213_215105.jpg

Bolster

Post by Bolster »

FullScaler wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:05 am
Fresh off the printer! A new set of glow in the dark green scales. Soon to come, glow blue!

How fun is that!!!

:sparkler
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

Ok, I just went down the color rabbit hole, ... head first! I picked up a set of 24 resin dyes to mix and blend my own colors for printing handles. Lots has been learned today and so far I have made some nice subtle reds, some pale blues, a couple nice deep purple and had an interesting revelation about fading color changes when I forgot to mix my resin and the result came out slightly rainbowed which game me some real cool ideas about future color fade options.

Anybody else mess around with blending resin dyes to come up with their own custom colors? any tips, ideas, or any specific colors you guys would like to see?
20211219_231601.jpg
20211219_231853.jpg

burlyspyder

Post by burlyspyder »

Really nice. Also, a big thanks for sharing.

Little late to the party. I've got a couple printing now, also in PLA glow-in-the-dark (why not, and it was already in loaded, 😉). Will switch materials once fit confirmed. I might flatten it a bit, given my historical preference, but solid starting point. Will share any mods as well.

I was discussing templates in another thread, but for some reason, I didn't consider printing, as I am a bit new to it. Printing allows me to make a few scale versions with minimal effort and decide which I like before committing to more exotic materials.

Edit: Added pic of v1. I think I like Gtscotty's better, but those will come out next. Always good to validate designs with different equipment/operators, so far so good!

Cheers,
-burly
Attachments
gitd_scales.jpg
:bug-red: H1(s), M4, 4v, 10v, 15v(m), Hap40, s90v, s110v, BD1n, Maxamet, Magnacut(s), Z-max(m), Z-wear(m), Magnacut(m), SRS13(m), Rex76(m), M398(m)
Other: D2, White#1, Blue#2, SuperBlue, VG-10, 204P, 20cv, s30v, s35vn, s45vn, s90v, HIC, TC71