A photo of your workshop?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
TomAiello

Re: A photo of your workshop?

Post by TomAiello »

My dad has been after me to set up air filtration for quite a while now. I think your post may push me over the top on this one, and get me to order some stuff. I've just been focused on dust collectors attached to the tools themselves so far.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:56 pm
My dad has been after me to set up air filtration for quite a while now...
Dad knows what he's talking about and wants you to live a long time :) . At only $140 the price for clean and healthy air in the shop is less than the price of most pocket knives. If you spend time working on handles it's a low-cost, high-value investment in yourself. :)
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

I hope it works out for you. I ground knives in my garage for many years while wearing (always) what were considered the latest respirators for what was being ground. I ended up with lymphoma and have to buy pre-made blanks to continue playing with knives.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

PineyBoy wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:47 pm
..I ended up with lymphoma and have to buy pre-made blanks to continue playing with knives.
Thank you for pointing out how real and how serious safety precautions are. This is exactly why cleaning the air was needed in my shop and why I wanted to mention it to others considering kicking up nasty dust.

More importantly, how are you? Lymphoma is no joke! I've lost a close friend to Lymphoma. Have your treatments been successful? I certainly hope you are feeling good and living well. :) :)
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:38 pm

....I would like to see some knives that have been made in each workshop alongside the pictures of the
workshops!!
You've seen the pics of my shop, so here's some of the knives that were made there. 75% of the knives I've made in my shop are posted on my Instagram account, but here's a sampling..

CPM20CV Lance Clinton designed large fillet

My personal Vanax Tolokot (small trail companion)

CPM 20CV bushcrafter

M390 hunter/fighter

Damacore wallet knife

Custom Vanax Waterway

52100 1800's era style English trade knife (scalper)

Vanax Siren protoype(s)

Z-Wear Gents Bowie

Z-Wear Loveless style hunter with Mammoth tooth handle.

AEB-L Coop(s), another light trail companion design.

Vanax Ojisa XL and matching Vanax Tolokot, with blue Mexican blanket G-Carta handles surrounded with black G-10.

LC200N Heron with nickel bolsters and nickel engraving plates.

My personal EDC folder. Fully corrosion proof backlock design prototype with Ti frame, Vanax blade and lock bar and some other top secret :cool: special features ;) .

AEB-L kitchen chopper/cleaver with G-Carta "Starry Night" (van Gogh) handle and brass bolsters.

...there's a lot more, but this is a good example of what comes out of my big 'ol mess of tools :p :) .
CK
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Amazing. Really beautiful work.

When do we get a Spyderco collaboration?
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

^ That's really nice of you to say Tom! Of course, I would love to have the opportunity to collaborate with my favorite knife company one day.
For now, I just keep moving forward and I don't worry about stuff like that. My reality check...I'm a relatively new maker, I'm not famous, I don't market myself to try to sell a lot of knives right now. These realities mean I don't bring many automatic sales to the table like a well know name might.
Another consideration that I personally think is important...I'm not trying to make my living making knives at this moment. IMO if Spyderco were to have to choose between a collab with me or one with another new maker that IS trying to survive on knife sales (like hmmm.. maybe Shawn at Triple B Handmade Knives ;) ) I'd quite frankly rather see that opportunity go to the maker who really needs the boost to actually support his family.

I'm fine with just staying on my journey and maybe one day an opportunity with my friends at Spyderco will materialize. :) :spyder:

Thank you again for the nice compliment Tom. :)
catfish333

Post by catfish333 »

Xplorer: Your knives are awesome, and your attitude/approach to things is inspirational. Keep on being you!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Just wonderful stuff, really. I have to save up and order something from you.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Chad, if you ever want to sell one of your knives... :)
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

catfish333 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:25 pm
JRinFL wrote: ..
TomAiello wrote: ..
Thank you all very much!! :) :)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:15 pm
When do we get a Spyderco collaboration?

My question exactly!!

Rumor is, that Starry Night knife is the very one that relieved Van Gogh of an appendage on the side of his head.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Bolster wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 6:19 pm
..Rumor is, that Starry Night knife is the very one that relieved Van Gogh of an appendage on the side of his head.
:p If it was that knife, I assure you it cut effortlessly and cleanly ;) :D .
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I just discovered this thread, but I have to say very nice workshops! 👍
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I have a very small workshop, just the back corner of my garage but it has a ton of tools. Just to name a few of my bigger ones… Dewalt 735x planer, Wen 6” Jointer, 12” sliding miter saw, table saw, drill press, router table, etc. I just wish I had room for a band saw and a few other odds and ends.
Attachments
98E03902-3699-4DF2-BAD5-3FE7727D2BEF.jpeg
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Xplorer wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:23 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:38 pm

....I would like to see some knives that have been made in each workshop alongside the pictures of the
workshops!!
You've seen the pics of my shop, so here's some of the knives that were made there. 75% of the knives I've made in my shop are posted on my Instagram account, but here's a sampling..

CPM20CV Lance Clinton designed large fillet

My personal Vanax Tolokot (small trail companion)

CPM 20CV bushcrafter

M390 hunter/fighter

Damacore wallet knife

Custom Vanax Waterway

52100 1800's era style English trade knife (scalper)

Vanax Siren protoype(s)

Z-Wear Gents Bowie

Z-Wear Loveless style hunter with Mammoth tooth handle.

AEB-L Coop(s), another light trail companion design.

Vanax Ojisa XL and matching Vanax Tolokot, with blue Mexican blanket G-Carta handles surrounded with black G-10.

LC200N Heron with nickel bolsters and nickel engraving plates.

My personal EDC folder. Fully corrosion proof backlock design prototype with Ti frame, Vanax blade and lock bar and some other top secret :cool: special features ;) .

AEB-L kitchen chopper/cleaver with G-Carta "Starry Night" (van Gogh) handle and brass bolsters.

...there's a lot more, but this is a good example of what comes out of my big 'ol mess of tools :p :) .
CK

Those are all amazing knives, but my favorite among them is the Filleting knife with the wave bolster and the van gogh cleaver. Just beautiful works of art.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

nerdlock wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:52 am
Those are all amazing knives, but my favorite among them is the Filleting knife with the wave bolster and the van gogh cleaver. Just beautiful works of art.
Thank you very much! :) :)

Even though I made that "wave handle" quite a while ago now, it's still one of my favorite handles so far. Hand rubbing a 20CV blade that large was difficult enough...but the handle was even harder. That handle was also a first for me. Previously, I had joined handle materials with curved junctions that made contact on one side but wrapping the wave around the G10 brought in a new level of difficulty. Hand fitting within half a circle is much easier than hand fitting items that wrap around each other. There were a couple of days in that project where I thought "I might be doing this for the rest of my freakin' life :confused: ".

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that knife is in Spyderco's possession currently. Hopefully one day it becomes available with a little Spyder on the blade :D :spyder: .

Since then, I've built another handle for Lance that I think I might like even more. It hasn't been shown publicly yet, but I think Lance might be ready to show it soon ;) :cool: .

The Van Gogh cleaver/chopper is just something I did recently for my Mom for Mother's Day. Credit for that amazing micarta layup goes to Greg Hansen at G-Carta.

Thanks again for the kind comments. :)

CK
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Xplorer wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:17 am
nerdlock wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:52 am
Thank you very much! :) :)

Even though I made that "wave handle" quite a while ago now, it's still one of my favorite handles so far. Hand rubbing a 20CV blade that large was difficult enough...but the handle was even harder. That handle was also a first for me. Previously, I had joined handle materials with curved junctions that made contact on one side but wrapping the wave around the G10 brought in a new level of difficulty. Hand fitting within half a circle is much easier than hand fitting items that wrap around each other. There were a couple of days in that project where I thought "I might be doing this for the rest of my freakin' life :confused: ".

Thanks again for the kind comments. :)

CK
When you joined the two materials did you glue/epoxy them together or just epoxy to the handle?

Do you think something like this is possible with stabilized wood or could the wood still expand contract too much and leave gaps?

Your Vanax Tolokot is a cool knife.

Thanks awesome work.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:37 pm

When you joined the two materials did you glue/epoxy them together or just epoxy to the handle?

Do you think something like this is possible with stabilized wood or could the wood still expand contract too much and leave gaps?

Your Vanax Tolokot is a cool knife.

Thanks awesome work.
In the photo just prior to the finished picture the pieces are just "dry fit" to check for gaps. When I epoxied them down to the liners I made sure there was epoxy in the junction as well. There wasn't too much room for epoxy so most of it just presses out, but I definitely want any and all voids sealed and bonded.

It's a risky thing to do with stabilized wood. Stabilized wood is very stable and very tough compared to raw wood but it will still swell a little if submerged long enough or subjected to enough humidity.

Thank you again for the kind words. :)
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

It may not be fancy, but it sure is peaceful. This is my workshop for this evening. Birdseye maple on MT 31. About to be hand shaped and sanded.
Attachments
20210611_192411.jpg
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com