Any chance we will ever see coated Mule?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
PStone

Any chance we will ever see coated Mule?

Post by PStone »

Just like the title says. With Spy27 possibly becoming a permanent mule, would also offering it in different coatings ever be an option? DLC, Cerakote, TiCN and such. I think it could be nice to compare the different types using the mules. Mainly corrosion and durability testing. Would it add too much cost or production time? Would anybody else be interested in comparing the types of coatings with the Mule format?
standy99

Re: Any chance we will ever see coated Mule?

Post by standy99 »

I like to judge patina over time so myself I would not go for a coated blade.

But a constant SPY27 would be good for that....
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Hmm...
The mule team project was intended to test new steels and their properties, compare them new steels with one another on the knife with the exact same blade geometry. Any coating would mess the results of steel testing, IMHO

But the idea of testing and comparing different types of blade coating is quite interesting by itself though. I mean if one of the Mules (SPY27 for example) really becomes a permanent product :)
PStone

Post by PStone »

Yes. I agree. Only if the Spy27 becomes a permanent offering could I see this being beneficial.
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

PStone wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:11 am
Yes. I agree. Only if the Spy27 becomes a permanent offering could I see this being beneficial.
I'd really like to figure out how different blade coatings would show themselves in comparison to one another. Kinda rank them in a way :)
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Mules need a coat to keep them warm in cold weather.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Since the original idea was to get "a piece of the stuff" into interested hands as inexpensively as possible, and coatings add expense without helping with evaluating the steel, I don't see it happening.
fixall

Post by fixall »

AlexRus took the words right out of my mouth. :)
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Since Mules are somewhat of a "do it yourself" product, why not "do it yourself?" Ceracote, Duracoat, parkerizing, plating... they're all easier than baking a loaf of bread, and not very expensive to get set up.
PStone

Post by PStone »

RustyIron wrote: Since Mules are somewhat of a "do it yourself" product, why not "do it yourself?" Ceracote, Duracoat, parkerizing, plating... they're all easier than baking a loaf of bread, and not very expensive to get set up.
This actually makes perfect sense, and I guess I wasn’t looking at it like that. I did some reading and I think I actually can do a couple myself.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I might be interested in getting a coasting on a Mule in time, but it defeats the purpose of the project to coat a Mule and then compare it to another uncoated (or differently coasted) mule. If we do see a steady supply in time of SPY27 or another established steel, I wouldn't mind a coated one but i would greatly prefer another Mule to a coating.

Trying a new coasting on a well-known "standard" Mule might actually be a great way to compare, however. As long as the chance to try different steels comes first.
sal

Post by sal »

Never say never. :p

sal
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

PStone - Great idea. I think coated mules would add an element to the ideology behind testing, despite the possible contradiction of trying to test the steel itself.

I don't know that SPY27 would be the steel I'd want to test coated. From what I understand it's a well rounded combo of properties to begin with. The coating may benefit a high edge retention, low corrosion resistance steel more since it would help protect against corrosion. Ultimately I'm not sure it would drive me to buy one, but it's still a great idea.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:47 pm
Since Mules are somewhat of a "do it yourself" product, why not "do it yourself?" Ceracote, Duracoat, parkerizing, plating... they're all easier than baking a loaf of bread, and not very expensive to get set up.
I like that idea, if I get a Z-Max, I might try coating it with something along the lines of Cerakote, Duracoat, Alumahyde, etc.