Maybe Mules are not for me?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Dazen

Maybe Mules are not for me?

Post by Dazen »

Ahead of the S45VN being released tomorrow I spent some time with my first Mule SPY27. I don’t have scales for it yet because I haven’t decided what to go with at the moment. My problem is the butt of the handle digs into the middle of my pinky finger while using. Part of me thinks that once I put scales on it it will be more comfortable, but the other part of me doesn’t want to spend more money on this Mule, or future Mules, if this problem isn’t corrected.

Do any of y’all have this problem, and can help me with an answer?
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
archangel

Re: Maybe Mules are not for me?

Post by archangel »

If you'd find that a set of scales would offer pinkyfinger-painfree carry, wouldn't that be worth the money? If you find out it does not, you can always sell the scales and the mule through the Spyderco Swap. I don't see any risk for you.

I don't think anyone can give you a first hand answer (pun intended) to your question, unless you give them a hand of yours. :D
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I find the handle to be comfortable, it's carrying it comfortably that's the issue for me. It seems to ride too high and the handle also seems to get in the way when sheathed. I've tried various ways of carrying it, but nothing seems to work for being concealed and comfortable :(

Considering doing away with the G Clip and just putting it in my pocket and see how that goes.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I don't find the mule handle particularly comfortable, so I grind mine until it suits me...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=89123

Does this re-profile look more pinky friendly to you? If so, nipping off the end of the mule handle is easy with a 4" grinder fitted with a metal cutoff blade. Go slowly and cover the mule in a damp cloth while cutting.

@Tko: I know what you're talking about. Try thinning the handle out and see if a smaller handle doesn't suit your carry better?
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Have home made scales, Spyderco bought, third party bought and custom made handles made and put on and don’t have a problem with the handle.
Don’t think I have ever used one without a handle.

Can you post a pick of how you are holding it.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

With the black G-10 Spyderco scales installed the tang of the knife becomes over three times wider than the width of the tang alone. I would think any pair of scales on a Mule would spread out the pressure and make it more comfortable over using it with just the blade alone.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Humans have been affixing handles to blades for tens of thousands of years, mainly because using tools with no handles is a bummer.
Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 10.25.55 AM.jpg
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I guess what I am saying is that the grip area of the Mule is to narrow for my hand, and due to the horn at the back it makes it uncomfortable to use. My Autonomy 2 which has a grip area about a 1/2” longer makes a world of difference in comfort. I guess I could try to grind off the back in order to make it work for me, but it has me thinking how much work I want to put into this. Not to mention working around all the holes. Going back to my original question, is there anyone with a bigger hand that put scales on a Mule and saw a vast improvement in comfort?

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Hmm...without grinding the "hook" off, I cannot see this working well for you. It's practically a "3 finger" knife in your hands.

BTW, great picture that clearly shows your point.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

BTW, that hole that would be ground off is not used for the Halpern scales if that helps any.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Grind or hacksaw that off no issue at all.

Have a thicker handle than most on one of mine with that piece shaved off.

standy99

Post by standy99 »

This shows it better....

You want to grind a few millimeters shy of the hole and straighten out from the back of the middle curve.

Dazen

Post by Dazen »

^^^ Thanks for the pics, I just might hang on to it and see what I can make of it!
Dane

Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Nice work ^ Standy!

I modded my pinkie hook off, too...also reduced the "pregnancy" a bit, straightened out the top strap a bit, and moved the index finger curve forward.

The fit is so much better for me, I will likely be doing this or a similar mod with all my mules.

VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I hate the little not a thumb ramp at the top. It almost ruins the whole mule design for me.

If I ever get around to modding my mule I will try to turn it into something like what the manix has.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Yea, we're agreed Dazen - the grip is a little tight. I wear XL gloves, and the Stretch fits my hand better than the Mule. Picking up some 3D Halpern scales does help make the whole thing a bit more hand-filling, but the length of the handle doesn't change. I haven't modded mine like some others, but maybe I will think about it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
007 Agent Zzero

Post by 007 Agent Zzero »

Mules without handles are brutal to use. Initially I bought a set of contoured Halpern scales after trying to use para cord wrapping with a base layer and strider style cross wrapping on top. The wrapping helped with hot spots but did little to help how it felt in hand. This design is absolutely a jack of all trades master of none. I have found it handles kitchen and BBQ duty fine and is a decent wood knife. The front guard /back hump really limit how far up on the blade you can get for detail work. I also found the pinky area to be difficulty at time. All that is what motivated me and a buddy to make our own removable walnut scales. Filling out the backside and adding fishtail/bushcraft elements really changed the feel of the mule. Here are some side by side pics with the Halperns. I still really enjoy them and think they do great work.
02520370-F803-437B-907B-72946F96A87A.jpeg
B56D53E0-EA12-40C1-82EF-C004DD7B014C.jpeg
Captivated by craftsmanship and always trying to learn new skills.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

A short modded mule like pictured below maybe for you or perhaps a longer handle mod. I have XL hands and even the jump master is too crowded for me. Either of those options would be my bet.
[/quote]
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.