Paracord wrap da Mule - collection of tutorials for different designs/techniques

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
archangel

Paracord wrap da Mule - collection of tutorials for different designs/techniques

Post by archangel »

As there are many different techniques and thus end results in how to wrap your Mule with PC, I think it would be handy to have one thread maybe to collect links to tutorials on YT or other portals?

All different kinds of end results welcome!

Yes I could look myself, but I'm sure you much more experienced guys have already sorted the really good tutorial vids from the crappy ones. :) For the good of all of us here!

Specifically I'd love to learn how to thread the PC, through which hole and when, to have it look like the butt end part of this exotic sample ;) :
SmartSelect_20210421-161705_Chrome_copy_1145x655.jpg
(Funny to see btw that it's a MT22 RWL34 mule, same as one of the only two I own...)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Bolster

Re: Paracord wrap da Mule - collection of tutorials for different designs/techniques

Post by Bolster »

The infamous Yab tutorial, long may it live:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/cor ... le.931472/

and here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=74340
archangel

Re: Paracord wrap da Mule - collection of tutorials for different designs/techniques

Post by archangel »

Is there a way to check the tutorial without a BF account?

I knew I had created a thread for this before ;) but thanks for linking it without any ridicule.

Further tutorials welcome, preferably "open source"!
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

archangel wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:30 pm
Is there a way to check the tutorial without a BF account?

I knew I had created a thread for this before ;) but thanks for linking it without any ridicule.

Further tutorials welcome, preferably "open source"!

Ya, that second link which goes to your original? Yab reproduced the original onto the Spyderco forum. It's the same as is on BF.

PS: My BF "account" is free. I don't get an avatar with that, or any respect, but I can post and read.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I like Yab's method better but here's a pretty one:

https://www.knifeblog.com/easy-paracord ... fe-handle/

yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'm afraid I've been all the help I can. I tried a number of different wraps before I settled on that one. None of them were as secure and stable. Most would come completely apart in minutes if they came loose at all, and with the curves of the Mule handle, getting them tight was a nightmare. I suppose one could coat the wrap with epoxy or superglue to get it to stay in place, but that kind of defeats the purpose of a cord wrap in my mind.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

I agree with above. Not going to be a tutorial on the web that works first time with the mule handle. All I can say is give it a go and try different things.
Pretty is not always as comfortable as slightly unconventional but better wrapped.
When I worked that out it was easier to put a wrap on and have it stay on.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Understood. Thanks for your participation! Two more questions:

Both my mules have a two layer wrap. Mule 1 has a cored outer shell paracord 550 base layer, while for the other I have used the three inner strands. Gives the whole thing more flesh for a better grip. You guys don't do this?

Alternatively, has anyone tried using thicker Paracord, e.g. Battlecord? Threading two strands through one hole probably won't work, but if you use a technique that does not need this... next mule I'll call my own (hopefully the Z-Max), I will give that a try. Unless you guys have tried already and can confirm that it's not working.
Michael
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I did do a couple of early Mules with a thinner cord and two layers, but I didn't like it and went back to 550 cord.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

The YouTube channel Weavers of Eternity is one of my go-to sources for paracord tutorials. I'm sure he has done other knife wraps, but this was the first I ran across in his large library:

https://youtu.be/Ii_n0cWx3E4
Regular carrier: zome green Delica 4
Occasional/situational carrier: Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade
Display only: Manbug with Wharncliffe blade, Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade, zome green Delica 4
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Yeah, that's how you harness a Mule!
Awesome tutorial, thank you, PStone!

👍
archangel

Post by archangel »

Excellent, indeed! Especially how you finished at the butt end, very helpful! Thanks much!!
Michael
PStone

Post by PStone »

Thanks guys! I hope it helps. There’s still plenty of room for experimenting and tweaking this style wrap. I would like to put more loops/strands under the wrapping for more thickness next time.
archangel

Post by archangel »

PStone wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:30 am
Thanks guys! I hope it helps. There’s still plenty of room for experimenting and tweaking this style wrap. I would like to put more loops/strands under the wrapping for more thickness next time.

There you go! It's worth it, double layer wraps really improve the grip. Of course the holes to thread through in the beginning and end become unavailable - unless you find a magic trick! :cool:
Michael
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

I did the Strider wrap on my Mule and think it came out pretty good after several attempts and re-wraps. I put a picture of it on the Spyderco Facebook Group, but didn't do it on the forum because I'm unable to put pictures on because I get an error message that the image is too large and I don't know how to resize it to fit. Yes, technologically challenged.
Last edited by Team Sick on Tue May 04, 2021 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Team Sick wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:01 am
I did the Strider wrap on my Mule and think it came out pretty good after several attempts and re-wraps. I put a picture of it on the Spyderco Facebook Group. I didn't do it on the forum because I'm unable to pictures on it because I get an error message that the image is too large and I don't know how to resize it to fit. Yes, technologically challenged.
You may put it on any free hosting site and just give us a link to it :)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It's probably just because I've gotten used to the way I do it, but I find adding extra wraps or layers to bulk up the handle just feels wrong in my hand. I've worked out a few alternates, but I always end up taking them back off after a little use.

Oh by the way, that blue wrap above is basically the same as what I use, just with the knots on top and bottom rather than running down the sides.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

PStone wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:06 pm
(mule wrap photos)
Awesome tutorial, thanks PStone!