Halpern scales availability

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
SpydieTerp

Re: Halpern scales availability

Post by SpydieTerp »

E-mailed her last night, got a prompt response this morning, and an invoice almost instantly after submitting my order. +1 for Jennifer!
Current collection: Bow River, Chaparral Raffir Noble XHP, Dragonfly ZDP-189, Lil' Native M4, Manix 2 LW 20CV, Native 5 LW SPY27, Native Chief M4, Para 2 S30V, Para 2 20CV, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 33 DLC CRU-WEAR, Para 3 Maxamet, Salt 2 SE, Shaman S30V, SpydieChef LC200N, Tenacious S35VN
Recent purchases: Shaman S30V
On the radar: Caribbean Sheepsfoot
Lost: Delica 4 LW (stolen), Native 5 LW S110V (kept by TSA screener / refused to mail)
Wishlist: Shaman Micarta
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

These micarta scales are great! I’m wondering how long halpern had been out of scales. Maybe I should buy another pair or two?
PBWilson

Post by PBWilson »

I know that we can order replacement hardware from Halpern, but does anyone have another source for the same screws and connector so I can make a few for myself?
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I believe the speca have come up a couple of times but I don't remember the post. It was many years back.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

PBWilson wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:15 am
I know that we can order replacement hardware from Halpern, but does anyone have another source for the same screws and connector so I can make a few for myself?

Yes. See Bolster's post about Removable Onlay Scales, which gives the dimensions of threaded barrels and screws to use, and sources to obtain.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=89796
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Rinzler wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:08 pm

These micarta scales are great! I’m wondering how long halpern had been out of scales. Maybe I should buy another pair or two?
After the Mule Team project took a break they had a very limited selection of G10 scales until they finally sold out. It's been a few years since I've seen any new production from them. I grabbed a few sets as long I was ordering...figured I'd save on shipping.

Just put the same natural canvas micarta on that you're rocking...much nicer than the black G10 I've been using for the few years.

-Turbo
Elshauno

Post by Elshauno »

Does anyone know if the flat Halpern scales will create any fitment problems with the Spyderco sheath? If so I’ll just stick to the 3D scales
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

The sheath from Spyderco is for the contoured scales. Though SheathPro or any number of other kydex folks could make one for the flat scales at not much more than the sheath from the mothership (if you’d prefer the flat scales.)
standy99

Post by standy99 »

PBWilson wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:15 am
I tend to use brass hardware with a touch larger screw head for more clamp when used. Also most scales you wake yourself tend to be a bit thicker than Halpern scales.
If you look at any knife supply website you are spoilt for choice of hardware for attaching scales.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
dvsdev

Post by dvsdev »

Elshauno wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:25 pm
Does anyone know if the flat Halpern scales will create any fitment problems with the Spyderco sheath? If so I’ll just stick to the 3D scales
The flat scales will work fine with the current Boltron sheath (MTSH). I use the Boltaron sheaths for a couple of non Halpern Titanium Option 4 Spyderco G-10 scales (MTGBK). I don't have pics for those at the moment. They will also fit Cuscadi scales. There is just a little gap on both sides of the handle, but they will fit securely with no rattle.

Here is an old pic I took:

Last edited by dvsdev on Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elshauno

Post by Elshauno »

Burton Knut wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:50 pm
The sheath from Spyderco is for the contoured scales. Though SheathPro or any number of other kydex folks could make one for the flat scales at not much more than the sheath from the mothership (if you’d prefer the flat scales.)
Yeah, kinda what I was figuring. 3D scales it is haha
spock91

Post by spock91 »

Are these still available? Tried several attempts to contact them and no response.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear spock91:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
chkn

Post by chkn »

Elshauno wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:25 pm
a sheathmaker named azwelke used to make sheaths for the flat scales IIRC
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

spock91 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:46 am
Are these still available? Tried several attempts to contact them and no response.
I’m in the same boat as you. Maybe they’re backed up or something at the moment?
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
IndianaTony

Post by IndianaTony »

So Halpern Titanium is the parent company of, and operated by the same folks (Marianne and Les Halpern) as Three Rivers Manufacturing. TRM is a knife company that makes the Atom and Neutron and a few others, and they've become as popular as they are difficult to get. Right now they can't make enough knives to meet demand, so I suspect that side of the business is taking most of their manufacturing time right now. In fact, it looks like Halpern's web site is currently parked.

But if you want to follow up, you could try going through https://www.threeriversmfg.com/ or the TiCOONS Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1227424600677967/
Ryan222

Post by Ryan222 »

Jenn at Halpern had email issues and is back up and running. She is responding back to us that had emailed her in the past month. She got my order out the same day (faster than the 1-3 days quoted). Awesome service! Can't wait to get them on my first mule.

It also appears that Spyderco has the handles back in stock on their website.
spock91

Post by spock91 »

Update..... Jennifer responded back (their email address was comprised) and I now have a set on order from Halpern. Also they are back in stock on Spyderco site SO I have 2 set's on the way.