Elastic Ceramic. Wow!

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Michael Janich

Re: Elastic Ceramic. Wow!

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear TTEG33:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I was experimenting with my elastic ceramic knife today. After some abuse testing it had a hard time shaving arm hair. 100 strokes of green compound .5 micron each side made it shave much better but not great. I then took my fine extra fine DMT metal plate and reprofiled the edge. Cutting paper was rough and no arm hair shaving. 100 strokes on green compound and started to shave and cut paper better. Had to put the little one down so I gave up after that. If I had a 8000 grit diamond stone I feel with that and green compound on leather I could get it arm shaving sharp again. strange sharpening something that does not bur on the offside. I was surprised that green compound would do anything. It was making the edge noticeably shiny.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
David R

Post by David R »

Fireman wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:12 pm
I was surprised that green compound would do anything. It was making the edge noticeably shiny.
I would guess more burnishing than cutting.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

yup, but still had a positive affect. I was thinking that a paper wheel system on a bench grinder with diamond compound would make sharpening a breeze.
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

You are thinking good thoughts grasshopper :-)
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Fireman wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:09 am
Well, I am saddened over the news. I guess with increased cost, it takes more volume to spread the tooling cost. Is there a way to make the tooling cost more palatable by sharing the same cost with other knife models? For example, use of the same mold for the fixed and folder? :usflag Would it make more sense to skip the mule and go straight to a folder? Could we make a folding blade to go into an existing popular model like a Delica to keep costs down?
I like this idea. Although maybe in a smaller less hard use folder like the dragonfly.
"Some call me...Tim?"
sal

Post by sal »

We've been negotiating.

sal
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Thanks for the update Sal. Keeping hope alive. I can see the wisdom in a small folder for light duty that would never need sharpening. If it’s too small to pry or heavy use it could be an extreme light weight impossible corrosion capable knife with zero maintenance. A spyderco Manbug would be a great way to prove the concept and people would love it and then create a greater demand. I would like to see it as a modified sheepsfoot to play to its strengths. Modified Sheepsfoot Manbug anyone?
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Fireman wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:16 pm
Thanks for the update Sal. Keeping hope alive. I can see the wisdom in a small folder for light duty that would never need sharpening. If it’s too small to pry or heavy use it could be an extreme light weight impossible corrosion capable knife with zero maintenance. A spyderco Manbug would be a great way to prove the concept and people would love it and then create a greater demand. I would like to see it as a modified sheepsfoot to play to its strengths. Modified Sheepsfoot Manbug anyone?
+1 for the manbug. I think you're right. A lot of people bought those k390 ladybugs. It's an inexpensive way to test out an expensive steel. (better idea than dragonfly I think)
"Some call me...Tim?"
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jonathon,

Never needs sharpening is possible only if you never use it. I don't think a lock-back notch would work in ceramic.

sal
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

sal wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:34 pm
Hi Jonathon,

Never needs sharpening is possible only if you never use it. I don't think a lock-back notch would work in ceramic.

sal
So maybe a small slip join then?
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

A squeak perhaps
"Some call me...Tim?"
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

sal wrote:
Hi Jonathon,

sal
OK, what would work?
slip joint?
Compression?
liner lock?
frame lock?
I would love to see a Spydie chef version because the blade shape is a good one for HIC ceramic but I feel a low price point knife may be the best to let more people try it before investing in a higher priced knife.
If it has to be US made, lil native or Para 3 with a modified sheepsfoot?
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

it would be highly valuable imho to have a knife that if the tolerances are right to be able to swap out blades if the person was not capable of sharpening the ceramic.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

sal wrote:
Never needs sharpening is possible only if you never use it...

Calling all sock drawers!! Calling all sock drawers!!
Although I could swear I've had unused knives go dull in the sock drawer.
Fireman wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:45 pm
it would be highly valuable imho to have a knife that if the tolerances are right to be able to swap out blades if the person was not capable of sharpening the ceramic.

Some (ahem...) have suggested the wild idea of a Spyderco knife that does swap out (metal) blades... I think Spyderco should test the idea on a utility knife first...
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:30 pm
sal wrote:
Never needs sharpening is possible only if you never use it...

Calling all sock drawers!! Calling all sock drawers!!
Although I could swear I've had unused knives go dull in the sock drawer.
Fireman wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:45 pm

Some (ahem...) have suggested the wild idea of a Spyderco knife that does swap out (metal) blades... I think Spyderco should test the idea on a utility knife first...
genius.
"Some call me...Tim?"
sal

Post by sal »

I said we are negotiating. You are on page 6, I'm still on page 1.

sal
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Question for y'all. I keep hearing how long these hold an edge but I find I need to sharpen them about as often as an average kitchen knife. The question I have is do you use them yourself (or others that have good knife etiquette) because I let the family and guests go at them and they cut on ceramic plates, pans, etc. That's why my Japanese knives are stored separately from our "family" knives. So I'm wondering how much 'abuse' your knives are getting to see this mind blowing edge retention? The family loves them so I'm happy with them but personally I'm not getting rid of my steel knives anytime soon. ;)
-Turbo
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I have two knife drawers. One for the family, one for me.
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

bbturbodad wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:08 pm
they cut on ceramic plates, pans, etc.
A diamond edge would get blunt too on a diamond plate. It's just how physics works. If that type of cutting happens a lot, get some of those cheap steak knives with the crappy style of serration that KINDA work. For non-knife people, they're good enough and they can hack away.