Elastic Ceramic. Wow!

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
KKnives_Switzerland

Re: Elastic Ceramic. Wow!

Post by KKnives_Switzerland »

Fireman wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:09 am
Roman, if this material can be injection molded, can you make an integral knife that could not only make it stronger but be seamless for ease of cleaning? Or perhaps a blade and bolster? Something like this knife that is my favorite chef knife?

It's actually my favorite type of chef knife too and I have been talking to Rahven about it, whether they would want to make something like it. Technically absolutely possible. The thing is though that a mold is quite expensive - therefore, there has to be enough demand on the market to make it pay off. Starting with something simpler like the octagonal handle one I posted above and then seeing where it goes is the better idea I think. Because it can be realized with the current mold.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Molds are quite expensive. Economy of scale. Hopefully soon more R&D monies will be available. If possible, I would want a single mold be able to make several designs by altering the mold itself by having another one side to create different lengths or by altering the knives to make different models. Imagine making a mule mold but by altering one side of the mold you could still use the blade side of the mold but the handle side could be altered to make the folder pivot area thus getting more out of a mold with less cost. A mule and a mule folder.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Any juicy updates on testing and the mule?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've been using my kitchen knives constantly, and they still aren't dull enough to sharpen. I may just break down and sharpen them anyway. I bought several different diamond sharpening tools (basically looked at Roman's instagram post and then went out and found that stuff).

Fireman, have you been sharpening yours? How has that gone for you?
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Mine is still somewhere between the Swiss Alps and the California coast. Excited to get mine soon.
izzoyournizzo

Post by izzoyournizzo »

I've been lurking around and actually purchased a few of these a few weeks ago. I was skeptical especially after seeing the rope cut video. This material is the real deal and I'm extremely impressed. Someone else mentioned the phenomenon of the knife not feeling sharp to the touch. That has been my experience as well. The knife from the factory barely shaved any hair off of me. It's so odd and to my amazement, this knife slices the heck out of food. The wife and I are very impressed and so far has become our go to knife. Personally, I'm going to hold off on sharpening until the process is more refined but I don't suspect the knife is going to need sharpening any time soon. I just made child's play out of 30 lbs of cucumbers with it canning pickles.
KKnives_Switzerland

I've been away for a while because I have an increasing work load with my main business, which is making steel custom knives.

While I was away, some people have asked me via email/Instagram if Rahven and KKnives_Switzerland are the same company. No, we are not the same company. I did knife related consulting work during the launch phase for Rahven from January until this month. I also was doing marketing and community work for the elastic ceramic under this contract. Which brings me to an important update I want to give the people following this thread: This contract has expired this week and now it's back to business as usual for me - yet I will try to still chime in here from time to time. (For the fact alone that I am curious where the whole elastic ceramic project will go now and also because I want to secure myself a mule, in case Rahven and Spyderco are going to make one. :D ) That being said, from now on, please reach out to Rahven directly if you have any question regarding the elastic ceramic since I'm not in the loop anymore with the latest infos on upcoming things etc. Maybe there will be another project in the future between Rahven and me - that is absolutely possible.
I now will intensify my efforts to work my way through the ever increasing list of people wating for one of my steel knives - which is an incredible honor and joy to me to do.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

ImageThanks for your efforts in getting this thing to market. I hope you stay involved in some way.
KKnives_Switzerland

Fireman wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:32 pm
ImageThanks for your efforts in getting this thing to market. I hope you stay involved in some way.
In any case I'll follow progress closely - out of curiosity.
sal

Post by sal »

Our staff is currently using the knives and we'll begin to make decisions next week.

sal
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

sal wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:53 pm
Our staff is currently using the knives and we'll begin to make decisions next week.

sal
Excited to hear about the results. I would love to hear what blade shaped you think would be ideal for this material. I think a Spydiechef blade shape would be good.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I got my Whale HIC knife today!
Now I need to dull it to see how I can sharpen it :nerd
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

sal wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:53 pm

sal
More good news, thanks!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Roman,
Do you think powdered diamonds could be added to the ceramic mix and act like carbides in steel and in theory never need sharpening?
Diamond High Impact Ceramic may need a new name though :squinting-tongue
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Any updates?!?!?
I was thinking this material might excel as a serrated edge. The lack of “toothiess” from not having carbides can be made up by having serrations. A neck knife with a serrated edge would be so light and obviously impervious to being close to your body with the sweat etcetera. A dive knife is also a great niche for this material in a serrated sheepsfoot or hawk bill for cutting line and netting. A serrated kitchen knife would pretty much never need sharpening.
sal

Post by sal »

We played around with ceramic knives (TTZ) for years "back in the day". We found that the material didn't respond well to serrations.

sal
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Thanks. I was thinking that this material may do better. Can you disclose anything about the future of HIC and Spyderco? :cheap-sunglasses
sal

Post by sal »

We're still testing. We're pretty busy here.

sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Fireman wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:31 am
Any updates?!?!?
I was thinking this material might excel as a serrated edge. The lack of “toothiess” from not having carbides can be made up by having serrations. A neck knife with a serrated edge would be so light and obviously impervious to being close to your body with the sweat etcetera. A dive knife is also a great niche for this material in a serrated sheepsfoot or hawk bill for cutting line and netting. A serrated kitchen knife would pretty much never need sharpening.
Has anyone done any 'breaking the blade' type tests on these?

My kitchen knives flex, but I suspect that using them for general outdoors use might create stresses that would break the blade. I haven't tried, though, because I like them too much to break one just for informational purposes.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:06 pm
My kitchen knives flex, but I suspect that using them for general outdoors use might create stresses that would break the blade. I haven't tried, though, because I like them too much to break one just for informational purposes.

Aww c'mon Tom. Think how happy you'll make all the rest of us. ;)