Elastic Ceramic. Wow!

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
KKnives_Switzerland

Re: Elastic Ceramic. Wow!

Post by KKnives_Switzerland »

Gtscotty wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:52 am
KKnives_Switzerland wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:10 am
sal wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:12 pm
Hey Gtscotty,

Will it shave arm hair?

sal
FYI if you haven't seen it; wrote many replies. Will shave like this once the edge is taken to 1 micron or below:
https://youtube.com/shorts/CjknZd2u6TQ?feature=share
So a 6 micron and 1 micron set of diamond lapping films and some foam should be all I need? The knife is interesting, but not terribly sharp, and I'd like to get it there to see what it does.
Yes, plus some sort of oil as a lubricant. If food safety is a concern, I'd use food grade oil. Personally I use WD 40 and wash it off, but any oil will do, even olive oil.
You will see if you like a shaving edge more on food, or not. Both works.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi KKknives,

Welcome to our Mule Team forum and thanx much for chiming in. You will find this group is a "hands on" knife aficianado's always searching for the "ghost".

We were discussing plans in our R&D meeting yesterday. I'm using the smaller version at my home and the larger version is being tested by the R&D team. Alex will be contacting you regarding the possibility of a Mule Team. I think that it would be a good thing for you, to get exposure, and for our End Line Users (ELU).

I'm sharpening the piece I have with a fine grit CBN bench stone, to which it seems to be responding well. I'm reducing the edge angle by a few degrees.

We did make a knife in Switzerland back in the 90's. Michael Walker design, blades made in Colorado, Carbon Fiber from the Sauber F1 racing team. Titan liners made in Switzerland.

Are you seeking a US distributor? Alex is working with me and he can be contacted at asmith@spyderco.com

Stay in touch.

sal
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

A mule in this elastic ceramic would be wild for sure.
KKnives_Switzerland

sal wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:19 am
Hi KKknives,

Welcome to our Mule Team forum and thanx much for chiming in. You will find this group is a "hands on" knife aficianado's always searching for the "ghost".

We were discussing plans in our R&D meeting yesterday. I'm using the smaller version at my home and the larger version is being tested by the R&D team. Alex will be contacting you regarding the possibility of a Mule Team. I think that it would be a good thing for you, to get exposure, and for our End Line Users (ELU).

I'm sharpening the piece I have with a fine grit CBN bench stone, to which it seems to be responding well. I'm reducing the edge angle by a few degrees.

We did make a knife in Switzerland back in the 90's. Michael Walker design, blades made in Colorado, Carbon Fiber from the Sauber F1 racing team. Titan liners made in Switzerland.

Are you seeking a US distributor? Alex is working with me and he can be contacted at asmith@spyderco.com

Stay in touch.

sal
Hi Sal
First, let me say that it is a huge honor for me to talk to "the legend" himself. The imagination of you sitting with one of our knives at home is just unreal to me... A Spyderco PM2 was the first "proper" knife I bought about a decade ago with the first money I earned. And now here I am, discussing doing business with you. I need to digest this first, it feels like a dream. But I digress.

I am looking forward to hear from Alex via mail directly; I wrote an e-mail to Ms. Powell this morning, so you have my e-mail adress. US-distribution as I hinted also indeed is interesting for us, since shipping from Europe to the US is expensive. The person to talk to in that regard is Natacha, I also included her e-mail in my afformentioned mail and will forward the contact of Alex to her. (I am your contact for anything technical and production related.)

You finding the elastic ceramic to work well on a CBN stone is interesting; I never really had good results with the elastic HIC ceramic on various stones besides mild success on vitrified diamond stones. Very interesting, really. Was it vitrified CBN?

Will stay in touch and looking forward to hear from Alex!

Roman
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

WOW! I just came across this thread and had never had an interest in ceramic knives but seeing that Roman is involved I just ordered a couple to play with.

I have one of his fixed blade Shards and a 'Re-Heat Treated' Reground Spydie...The guy is a wizard!

:D
-Turbo
KKnives_Switzerland

bbturbodad wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:23 am
WOW! I just came across this thread and had never had an interest in ceramic knives but seeing that Roman is involved I just ordered a couple to play with.

I have one of his fixed blade Shards and a 'Re-Heat Treated' Reground Spydie...The guy is a wizard!

:D
Thanks a lot for your kind words!!
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

What is quite interesting is that if it is made to mule dimensions and hole pattern then we can use all the other goodies that go with it like the handles and sheaths. This could be a good seller and if we can come up with a super light handle. Titanium screws?
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
KKnives_Switzerland

Fireman wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:31 pm
What is quite interesting is that if it is made to mule dimensions and hole pattern then we can use all the other goodies that go with it like the handles and sheaths. This could be a good seller and if we can come up with a super light handle. Titanium screws?
Imagine cf scales and titanium screws! That would be cool.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Dang it! Now you just made me spend more money for Carbon Fiber scales. Now who is going to make some titanium screws for this light weight champ?
Next the Elastic Ceramic carbon fiber folder with titanium hardware. How many grams would that be?!?!?!? I will name this soon to be knife the “Ghost”
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

https://youtu.be/-2cuy0nhQaQ
This might be your next ghost chase purchase
KKnives_Switzerland

Fireman wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:29 am
Dang it! Now you just made me spend more money for Carbon Fiber scales. Now who is going to make some titanium screws for this light weight champ?
Next the Elastic Ceramic carbon fiber folder with titanium hardware. How many grams would that be?!?!?!? I will name this soon to be knife the “Ghost”
I/we have already made a prototype elastic ceramic folder blade, for my "Turbo" framelock model. This is one with steel blade: https://www.instagram.com/p/CP5Q6OCD-FX ... =copy_link

But when I tried to do it with the elastic HIC ceramic, there were some things that weren't working like I wanted them to. Because with 2mm stock, which is what we currently produce to serve the chef knife demand, it is not ideal. So 4mm stock is the way to go, unless we are talking slip joints. But I want a locking folder, therefore 4mm stock it has to be.
The target weight is 40-60 grams total-I think that is realistic. "Ghost" is a great name btw!! Titanium screws are no biggie, probably the right ones are even available at some retailer. And even if not, they can be sourced with little to no trouble. Now, all the excitement aside, lets see first what Spyderco/Alex has in mind after the weekend.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I like the idea of 4mm stock to add rigidity and strength for a folder. A hollow grind could keep up the slicey nature of the folder while beefing up the knife to 4mm. I don’t have IG so I could not see the link.
Someone please chime in with the proper screw size needed for the mule and I will look up to see if titanium screws can be found.
KKnives_Switzerland

Fireman wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:06 am
I like the idea of 4mm stock to add rigidity and strength for a folder. A hollow grind could keep up the slicey nature of the folder while beefing up the knife to 4mm. I don’t have IG so I could not see the link.
Someone please chime in with the proper screw size needed for the mule and I will look up to see if titanium screws can be found.
Hollow is an interesting idea! Some pictures are here on my website too: https://www.kase-knives.com/start/models/
Attachments
IMG_20210609_114050_197.jpg
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Roman,

Thanx much for the kind words.

Though I don't know about this "legend" stuff. I may have been the spark that started it, but it is the crew that is the fire that is Spyderco.

Regarding sharpening, I've been re-profiling the blade to a slightly thinner angle I'm using a plated CBN fine grit that we make and then I'll finish on a vitrified CBN that Shawn Houston makes. It's slow because I'm using very light strokes. I think it we were to move forward, I think a CBN triangle in a finer grit (say 800-1,000 mesh) would work fine to keep it sharp.

sal
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Fireman wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:06 am

If you are talking about a setup like I use (and also the Halperns) for my onlay scales (see that thread) I'm using 4-40 by 1/4" length buttonhead screws...is that what you're looking for?

If so, see if you can also source 3/16 diameter Ti barrel nuts threaded to 4-40...should be about 1/4" length...

Hopefully you can find. I'm on a mission to make a LW mule with scales, and currently I'm at 2.8 oz. so there's a number for your CF-Ceramic-Ti ghost to beat...would love to lower the weight by another 0.2 oz so I'm in the market for Ti hardware as well.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I'm seeing Ti hardware here:

https://www.alphaknifesupply.com/shop/k ... ing-screws

Oddly, no 4-40 in Ti, but lots of 2-56 Ti if you can find the matching barrel nuts.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

https://youtu.be/-2cuy0nhQaQ

Has anyone tried the above product and techniques on the elastic ceramic?

I was thinking that a lightweight handle in carbon fiber fixed or folder would also help protect the blade if dropped having less mass to do damage.

A hollow grind on thick stock will allow for many more sharpening sessions and still be thin behind the edge.

Need to hunt for the right titanium screws now :)
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Here is the big question. If everything works out, how many mules should there be made to meet the demand?
KKnives_Switzerland

Fireman wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:14 pm
Here is the big question. If everything works out, how many mules should there be made to meet the demand?
That is a good question. And what thereafter?
Thanks @Sal for the info - fine grit CBN triangle sharpmaker rods would be killer for the elastic ceramic!
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Inquiring minds want to know. Do we get to know the catra test results? :) Thanks!