Elastic Ceramic. Wow!

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Fireman

Re: Elastic Ceramic. Wow!

Post by Fireman »

It will be cool to see the more rigid example of this material in a knife via the mule. I hope there was no difficulty getting all the holes in the handle so we can use the same scales. I wonder if Dr Larrin will do a catra test. I think this material will excel at push cuts vs a slicing or sawing motion.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
burlyspyder

Post by burlyspyder »

sal wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:57 pm
Looks like we have a Mule Team In-the-works.

sal
Ok. Now I am definitely giddy.

Got my HIC before Xmas, been using exclusively in kitchen. I am a little torn. The cutting performance is great... But it is so lightweight that it just feels...off. I often like to "let the knife do the work", but that requires at least some weight to it. I think I would like it better in a paring or fillet knife....or....

A mule. 😁
:bug-red: H1(s), M4, 4v, 10v, 15v(m), Hap40, s90v, s110v, BD1n, Maxamet, Magnacut(s), Z-max(m), Z-wear(m), Magnacut(m), SRS13(m), Rex76(m), M398(m)
Other: D2, White#1, Blue#2, SuperBlue, VG-10, 204P, 20cv, s30v, s35vn, s45vn, s90v, HIC, TC71
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

This is going to be one of the more costly Mules. Queue the crying and gnashing of teeth...
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

burlyspyder wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:25 am
Got my HIC before Xmas, been using exclusively in kitchen. I am a little torn. The cutting performance is great... But it is so lightweight that it just feels...off. I often like to "let the knife do the work", but that requires at least some weight to it. I think I would like it better in a paring or fillet knife....or....
I definitely had the same impression. The super lightweight printed handles also add to the feeling of lightness. When you first pick them up they almost feel 'cheap' but the cutting performance is fantastic.

I'd love to get a paring knife in HIC. Which is also why I think something like a Dragonfly or Chap LW would be a great way to showcase this material.
yogibearal

Post by yogibearal »

Fairly new here - browsing various posts/threads to see what's new in the knife world. Are the mules available for anyone to purchase? Or do you need to be part of a special group?
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

yogibearal wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:38 pm
Fairly new here - browsing various posts/threads to see what's new in the knife world. Are the mules available for anyone to purchase? Or do you need to be part of a special group?
All mules sell out quickly, like within minutes. watch for the release announcements
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Gtscotty wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:12 am
Man Down!

I was cooking birthday dinner for my wife last night (shrimp and grits) and my Rahven Shark slid off the counter and chipped the edge of the tip out on the tile floor.

Oooo, sorry for the misfortune Gtscotty. Will be interested to hear what you learn on the repair attempt.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Crox

Post by Crox »

yogibearal wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:38 pm
Open to anyone. Only sold on spyderco.com and as fireman says they can go fast.

You are just requested to come here and leave feedback of your experience.
sbdude

Post by sbdude »

sal wrote:

sal
Awesome!! Looking forward to it for sure.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

What handle material would compliment a ceramic knife? 🤔
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:16 pm
Metal. At least that's what I'm thinking.

If I could afford it, I'd go with Timascus. I think it would be awesome to flip the normal (Damascus blade with plain handle) on it's head and go with Damascus handle and ceramic blade.

https://www.alphaknifesupply.com/shop/timascus-for-sale

Maybe I can go with a strip of timascus in something plain (black g-10? assuming the blade will also be black). That might be in the budget.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:23 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:16 pm

If I could afford it, I'd go with Timascus. I think it would be awesome to flip the normal (Damascus blade with plain handle) on it's head and go with Damascus handle and ceramic blade.

Maybe I can go with a strip of timascus in something plain (black g-10? assuming the blade will also be black). That might be in the budget.
I like your thinking Tom! I'm assuming black blade too, and would love to have a nice contrast. Thanks for the link as well, that's another resource to explore, for sure!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Damasteel might also be interesting, and probably a more reasonable price than Timascus. But still pretty pricey, and you'd have to cook up an acid bath to etch it:

https://knifemaking.com/search?type=pro ... =damasteel*

So many options...
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

For ultra light backpacking, Carbon fiber or printed plastic.
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:52 am
I definitely had the same impression. The super lightweight printed handles also add to the feeling of lightness. When you first pick them up they almost feel 'cheap' but the cutting performance is fantastic.

I'd love to get a paring knife in HIC. Which is also why I think something like a Dragonfly or Chap LW would be a great way to showcase this material.
The light weight feel is inherited to its composition. No heavy iron atoms in it. There's also no way a heavy handle material could be used as it would make it feel very unbalanced. I kinda get it why the handles are 3D printed and have a lot of gaps inside. Yes, I did crack one open just to see how long the tang is and how the handles are made lol.
TomAiello wrote:
Like I said above, hell no. The knife would feel like it's a bladeless handle. Too handle-heavy, it needs to be something very light or a hollowed out, thin micarta/g10. Carbon fiber also sounds right.

Regarding sharpening, 1 micron diamond paste on printer paper backed on fine cardboard (like the ones used for packaging most Whiskey bottles, as it seems to have the finest surface possible), and I managed to sharpen and refine the edge on par to my sharpest of steel knives. Hair whittling sharp.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

This being a full tang design there should be a way of balancing it out.
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Would you be willing to do a how to sharpening video?
emanuel wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:09 am
TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:52 am

The light weight feel is inherited to its composition. No heavy iron atoms in it. There's also no way a heavy handle material could be used as it would make it feel very unbalanced. I kinda get it why the handles are 3D printed and have a lot of gaps inside. Yes, I did crack one open just to see how long the tang is and how the handles are made lol.
TomAiello wrote:
Like I said above, hell no. The knife would feel like it's a bladeless handle. Too handle-heavy, it needs to be something very light or a hollowed out, thin micarta/g10. Carbon fiber also sounds right.

Regarding sharpening, 1 micron diamond paste on printer paper backed on fine cardboard (like the ones used for packaging most Whiskey bottles, as it seems to have the finest surface possible), and I managed to sharpen and refine the edge on par to my sharpest of steel knives. Hair whittling sharp.
archangel

Post by archangel »

sal wrote:

sal

Sal, earlier you said that the costs appeared to be high. Then you said you were negotiating. Now it's in-the-works. Will the price be higher than the upcoming MT32 at $75? $100+? $150+? Please give a hint, if you can.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Michael,

Could be in the $150 range. Tooling is very expensive as is part cost.

sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'll still be in for two at $150.