Elastic Ceramic. Wow!

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Fireman

Re: Elastic Ceramic. Wow!

Post by Fireman »

Does anyone else think that a ceramic slip joint carbon fiber handled knife would be simple to make and a hot seller?
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

A slip joint might contain the costs, but to which extent ? The difference might not be worth it relative to a classic backlock.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think a slip joint would be awesome. I'd love to see a ceramic UKPK or Urban (FRN or FRCP). Even better if it could be totally non-metallic for zero rust possibility.

My experience with elastic ceramic so far is that it holds an edge forever, but cannot stand up to any abuse. I think that a non locking folder would actually encourage people to use it more as a cutting tool, and not be tempted to pry or chisel with it, which would greatly increase the longevity of the blades.

I'm really looking forward to someone producing a thicker blade from this material to see how it stands up. Hopefully it gains lateral strength from some additional thickness.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I have the whale version from switzerland and it held up to some good carving bushcraft tasks and I made sure to put some tough lateral stress on the edge on hardwood. It did not lose sharpness but after some good abuse it had a small edge chip. As a gentleman’s folder slip joint, it would last forever. I would want an all non metal version except for the screws and pivot
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I wonder if there is a way to make it 100% non metal? That would be a definite sales point for some people, because of the 'unique' factor.

What have you done with your whale? I own that one as well, but it's our least used. We've broken the blade (off) on two of the smaller paring knives (one in a kitchen accident, the other in some testing that I really thought it would be able to handle). Our most used Rahven is the mid sized kitchen knife (the Shark, I think) and that one has held up very well so far. I'm wondering if there is a design flaw in the handle geometry of the small paring knives that is causing them to break. Both have broken at exactly the same point.

I think a gentleman's slip joint folder would be an ideal use for this material, as a starting point. I'm really interested in a mule that I can test as a backpacking/outdoors knife. If/when I get my hands on one, I hope to put on fully non-metal scales (something like micarta with micarta pins, probably) just to try it out.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I got the whale to be a test knife and to throw in my backpacking gear as an ultra light utility/cooking knife. I liked the wide blade and thought it would add to the strength. I have back ups to all my knife needs when I go backpacking and the super light whale is just a bonus knife. A ceramic knife does not need to be 100% non metal to be used as that “Unique” feature. The mule can easily be 100% non metal using epoxy and non metal pins, like micarta pins. A sheepsfoot non locking “Salt” folder would be excellent for boating.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:53 am
I wonder if there is a way to make it 100% non metal? That would be a definite sales point for some people, because of the 'unique' factor.
I think you certainly could.

Delrin pivot screw
Carbon fiber button lock
Berilyium copper (non magnetic) button spring

If it weren't for the legalities, a butterfly knife format would also work quite well, using CF or Delrin for the pivots and machined G10 handles.
HJA

Post by HJA »

Thought I'd get some to gift to people, having about a 50% success rate there. Hopefully they'll replace or refund. [Edit: They refunded the broken one pretty much immediately.]
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I've only heard good things about the man behind this, and his product + the fact that Switzerland is basically my neighbor.
These 3 points are telling me that one of his product must come my way sooner than later !

Thanks for the thread, really cool to read.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

Sorry I haven't read through all posts but has anyone tried a balsa or basswood strop with diamond paste for refinement on their ceramic blades? Wonder if it may be a happy medium between stones and leather?
sal

Post by sal »

Update:

Prototype Mule team pieces tested very well in CATRA. I'm using one daily in my kitchen. Very interesting material.

sal
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Interesting! And I am interested!
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

sal wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:03 pm
Update:

Prototype Mule team pieces tested very well in CATRA. I'm using one daily in my kitchen. Very interesting material.

sal

Sweeeeet, I am getting very excited about this one!
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

That's music to my ears !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Ramonade wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:03 am
That's music to my ears !
Me too! Like nails on a chalkboard to my wife tho😁
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
mtb

Post by mtb »

looking forward!
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

sal wrote:
Update:

sal
Exciting news!!! Will Spyderco make replaceable Diamond film sharpener strips to sharpen these? I am thinking removable adhesive, like a sticker or those cheap flexible fridge magnets to attach to sharpeners.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

sal wrote:
Update:

sal
Can you comment on the flex of these knives? Thr mule is much thicker than the Rhaven knives.
sal

Post by sal »

No flex.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

sal wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:14 pm
No flex.
Well, that’s good imho
Thanks