Elastic Ceramic. Wow!

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Fireman

Re: Elastic Ceramic. Wow!

Post by Fireman »

sal wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:30 am
We're still testing. We're pretty busy here.

sal
I am going to have to take a trip up there to be an unpaid intern :party-face
Thank you for all your hard work and the rest of the Spyderco team as well. :hundred-points :fire-engine :clapping-hands :clinking-mugs :beer-mug :bacon :avocado
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Petrichor

Post by Petrichor »

Has anyone who has received one of these knives tried it out breaking down cardboard boxes? With such high wear resistance, it seems like the HIC blade might excel at this task. I know they’re meant to be kitchen knives, but I was just curious.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Petrichor wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:15 pm
Has anyone who has received one of these knives tried it out breaking down cardboard boxes? With such high wear resistance, it seems like the HIC blade might excel at this task. I know they’re meant to be kitchen knives, but I was just curious.
I may consider this test once I get some diamond lapping film. I expect the results to be similar to the rope test which doubled the best steels.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

For those of you that have received these, how long did it take?
-Turbo
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Mine took a while because I ordered the whale that I preferred but the stock ran low and they had issues getting it to me because they said I lived too far out in the boondocks for their regular post. I got mine a couple weeks ago but ordered the first day in the rush. Not sure what the turn around time is now.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Fireman wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:39 pm
Mine took a while because I ordered the whale that I preferred but the stock ran low and they had issues getting it to me because they said I lived too far out in the boondocks for their regular post. I got mine a couple weeks ago but ordered the first day in the rush. Not sure what the turn around time is now.
I ordered 2 months ago was just starting to wonder if I should contact them.
-Turbo
izzoyournizzo

Post by izzoyournizzo »

I would reach out to them. I waiting a while and then decided to reach out. After I reached out, my order shipped within a few days. It took about 2 months for me to get my order overall.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

izzoyournizzo wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:14 pm
I would reach out to them. I waiting a while and then decided to reach out. After I reached out, my order shipped within a few days. It took about 2 months for me to get my order overall.
Thanks. I just sent them a message we'll see what they say.
-Turbo
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

bbturbodad wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:34 pm
izzoyournizzo wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:14 pm
Thanks. I just sent them a message we'll see what they say.
I guess that's the trick. I got a response on Monday saying my order was ready to ship and tracking from UPS this morning with an expected delivery Monday.
-Turbo
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Has anyone here tried sharpening theirs yet? I got mine on Monday and while they're sharp the tips are fairly thick BTE so I was thinking about trying to make them better slicers. A little concerned that they might thick BTE because they to be so they don't chip.

Overall the family really likes them and they aren't as flexible as I was worried they might be so that's a plus.
-Turbo
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

still waiting for mine to dull. I am not sure how long that will take. I should get some diamond lapping film soon and then do another torture test.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Mine are still going strong. I'm actually considering ordering some more.
izzoyournizzo

Post by izzoyournizzo »

I feel the same way as Tom. Mine are going strong too. They have become our favorite kitchen knives. My wife accidentally cut her finger last week using one and normally would shy away from a knife but she loves it. I was going to order some of that film to sharpen but it still seems unnecessary as they are still sharp after heavy use.

We are very impressed.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

I sharpened one of mine tonight. No need for films if you have diamond stones IMO. I kept it at the factory angle and just ran it over 800 and 1200 grit Venev stones. Even with the relatively obtuse factory angle it feels much sharper now. If it holds up I'll lay the edge back a bit next time and see how it does.
-Turbo
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

izzoyournizzo wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:45 am
I feel the same way as Tom. Mine are going strong too. They have become our favorite kitchen knives. My wife accidentally cut her finger last week using one and normally would shy away from a knife but she loves it. I was going to order some of that film to sharpen but it still seems unnecessary as they are still sharp after heavy use.

We are very impressed.
Ah, my wife did the same thing with our hic knife this morning, while I was bandaging the slice, she was telling me that she just really likes that knife because it cuts so well.
izzoyournizzo

Post by izzoyournizzo »

bbturbodad wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:57 pm
I sharpened one of mine tonight. No need for films if you have diamond stones IMO. I kept it at the factory angle and just ran it over 800 and 1200 grit Venev stones. Even with the relatively obtuse factory angle it feels much sharper now. If it holds up I'll lay the edge back a bit next time and see how it does.
What angle were you sharpening at? I was going to buy some LAP film anyways because I've heard that they help get the extra nice mirror finish on a steel edge too.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

izzoyournizzo wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:50 am
bbturbodad wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:57 pm
What angle were you sharpening at? I was going to buy some LAP film anyways because I've heard that they help get the extra nice mirror finish on a steel edge too.
I'm not sure. I just followed the angle it came with. I don't think mine came fully apexed because now when I feel the edge with my fingers it feels sharp whereas out of the box it felt dull but was able to cut better than it felt. After sharpening it cuts with less resistance, even my wife noticed how easily it was going through asparagus last night and she thought it was sharp before.

I have diamond lapping films here but I didn't feel the need to use them since I was happy with how sharp it was after the 1200 grit stone (Venev 1200 grit is 3/2 micron). I did strop down to .25 microns with CBN on bass wood so the results are probably similar to using films.

It's tough to get a good shot of the edge but I think you can see it's fairly polished.

Yes for a polished edge on steel diamond film is the way to go. I like to stick the film on my quartz counter top or a piece of glass so I don't convex the edge.

Here's a polished Maxamet edge I did awhile back on 1 micron diamond film.

This one I convexed using film on sanding foam to give it a little extra strength after going a little too thin.
-Turbo
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

bbturbodad, thanks for sharing. Encouraging about the diamond sharpening
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I still haven't sharpened mine. I bought diamond lap films for my worksharp guided sharpener (it's what I use most often in the kitchen) but I still haven't felt a need to sharpen these. They stay sharp for a really long time.

I don't think this material will replace steel, because of the flex and because I still haven't investigated braking strength, but I suspect it to be substantially inferior to steel in that regard. Has anyone tried heavy (like cutting through bone) kitchen tasks with this stuff? I worry about damaging it, but I may try it anyway. I guess I just need to order a couple more for testing. I definitely won't mind owning more.

I'd love to have a (light duty) folder in this blade material. I don't know about general EDC chores, but for cardboard and similar chores, I bet this would bump Maxamet and Rex 121 out of my pocket. I'd definitely want to go with 2 blades if I was going to try it though.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:48 am
I still haven't sharpened mine. I bought diamond lap films for my worksharp guided sharpener
What do you think about that worksharp sharpener? I have a LAnsky that I got cheap and never set up, but I've heard a number of people say this is much better. I've had others say the clamp is not very sturdy. I'd like to get one but only if it will be easy to make good use out of.